Help, ill and no appetite.

Options
I started a week ago. Had some miscalulations with my activity level and was eating at/below my BMR (1437 cal, age 29, 143 lb, 5'3). I havent lost any weight this week. I was eating back my exercise calories and my net was still around 1400. Adding to that I seem to have caught the stomach bug thats been going around. Now I'm achey, have no appetite and feel queasy at the thought of food. Should I force myself to eat my bmr calories? I'm really not far off from my goal and have maintained my weight form months since getting off most of my baby weight. Also breast feeding but trying to ween. I'm stuck and worried I'm making things worse and now sick on top of it all. Please help.

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you are sick, make sure you get enough fluids and don't worry about the rest...A day or two here and there won't do anything....
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just worry about getting better right now. Drink lots of fluids and get as much rest as you can. If you can eat, great, but don't worry about tracking it or meeting your goal for calories. The weight will be there to lose when you get better.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat and drink enough to stay healthy, but don't force anything. Focus on liquids. If you can handle something like low-sodium chicken broth, do it, but don't worry about calories if food is just going to make you sick and you'll lose those calories anyway.

Remember to balance your water with electrolytes. You don't want to over-hydrate and make yourself even worse. Try to drink some sugar-free Gatorade (or even Pedialyte) if you can't keep food down.
  • Ailorn
    Ailorn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I havent actually thrown up. Been able to keep things down. It just doesnt appetize me. I will focus on the fluids though. Also taking it easy. Thanks for the support. :) Hopefully something will shift when i get better.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about not having an appetite. I never want to eat when I'm sick. I usually cut up some fruit and things like that so I can just nibble. I also like soup because it's more like drinking than eating.
  • tjwichman
    tjwichman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I currently am on day 4 of a fever and no real other symptoms. Problem is I have no appetite because of it. I am forcing myself to eat, but still am no close to my minimum calorie intake. I wasn't too worried about it until yesterday when my blood sugar took a sudden dive. I was able to sit down and drink a smoothie, bringing it back up, but 20 minutes later my lips were still blue! I just don't want to be hurting myself, but I don't know what else I can do. I'm staying hydrated, lots of water and green tea. What else can I do until this fever is done battling whatever it's trying to beat down?
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Just try to get over your illness, don't worry about calories right now.