I NEED HELP GETTING THIS WEIGHT OFF

Options
I am 20 years old, and I weigh about 230, so far using MFP I have lost around 5 lbs. I need some info that will help me lose weight quickly, and the healthy way of course. I am wanting to weigh around 140-150. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Good for you Holly. Go Girl!
    Friends request on the way... :smile:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Curious, not judging... WHY "quickly"??? Short answer... keep doing what you are doing! 5 pounds gone FOREVER! Before you know it it will be 10, and 20, and more!

NEVER give up on a dream due to the amount of time it takes to accomplish it... The time will pass anyway. :flowerforyou:
  • andi182
    andi182 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found I lost the most weight when I couldn't drive. I had a long walk to work everyday the weight came off really quickly. Now since passing my test and two more children later I've turned into taxi mum, so I need to ditch the car more. Not easy when it's cold outside. If walking not your thing just be more active. I hate the gym but really enjoy playing the dancing games with my daughter on her computer. Find sneaky ways to do a bit more, I do squats while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil! :)
  • jl_munoz
    jl_munoz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How much do you exercise? Also, Build muscle, you'll lose fat quicker.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Take my advice (I wish someone had given it to me when I was your age): All you need to do to lose weight is CONSISTENTLY maintain a calorie deficit. No diet pills, no special foods, just a calorie deficit. For you, I would say start at 1600-1700 NET calories.

Granted you can achieve a deficit easier by exercising (gives you more calories to eat, again NET calories) and eating more whole foods and less packaged foods, which are less satiating.

So yeah, consistent calorie deficit. Stick with it. For as long as it takes. :)
  • Hollyelise1
    Hollyelise1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't really need to do it quickly I guess lol, but I would like to lose close to 100 pounds by 2014. I am only drinking water everyday. I do treat myself with a sweet tea ONCE a week if that. I wouldn't say I am eating much healthier, just bc there are a lot of foods that I really don't care for, mainly veggies. But i have cut my portion sizes in HALF. I have been doing a little cardio a few times a day, but I did buy a new home workout video, that I will be starting tonight!
  • sallystarrfield
    sallystarrfield Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Stick with your plan. Don't get discouraged! My neighbor keeps me accountable to walk 5 days per week with her and our dogs for at least 35 minutes. That has helped me tremendously, and it is fun. I'm rooting for you! Good news is that you are young. Develop your healthy habits now. I am twice your age and have weighed from 140-209 lbs as an adult. I have lost and gained and lost and gained and am now loosing weight again. What I have learned is to hold myself accountable by writing down (well, now typing into My Fitness Pal) my food, exercise, and weight daily. Stay positive and surround yourself with positive people with healthy habits.
  • sarah0709
    sarah0709 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would def agree with the maintaining a good deficit and also keep your NET cals over 1000 wherever you can. It all depends what works for you tho. I'm not perfect but I have sent you a friend request, please feel free to accept xx
  • Hollyelise1
    Hollyelise1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    These are all good tips, I will keep these in mind. I'm just ready to be healthy!
  • sallystarrfield
    sallystarrfield Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Take my advice (I wish someone had given it to me when I was your age): All you need to do to lose weight is CONSISTENTLY maintain a calorie deficit. No diet pills, no special foods, just a calorie deficit. For you, I would say start at 1600-1700 NET calories.

Granted you can achieve a deficit easier by exercising (gives you more calories to eat, again NET calories) and eating more whole foods and less packaged foods, which are less satiating.

So yeah, consistent calorie deficit. Stick with it. For as long as it takes. :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    help me lose weight quickly

Just a thought here... I lost a total of 95 pounds in about 1.5 years. Great, right? Well, sort of. But I lost weight so fast, in the end I had (1) zero muscle left (2) brittle bones and (3) loose skin, so loose I STILL couldn't wear bathing suits/shorts/sleeveless shirts with any confidence. I'm older than you, sure. But I wouldn't recommend losing it ANY faster than I did. I spent the next 3 years building muscle and rebuilding my bones... and recovering from BROKEN bones.

We all love what you're doing. Just don't try to lose it very fast, ok?
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I am 20 years old, and I weigh about 230, so far using MFP I have lost around 5 lbs. I need some info that will help me lose weight quickly, and the healthy way of course. I am wanting to weigh around 140-150. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Quickly and healthy don't usually go together. Set MFP to lose 1 pound a week, and also eat your exercise calories back (try to make sure they are somewhat accurate). Net at least 1200, although for many this is too low. For a better explanation (somewhat long, but worth it), here is a link: This is a slightly different method, but it helps to know your actual numbers.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Best of luck.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options

EXERCISE, lift weight to strenthen your muscle and build while your losing. I am set to lose 2lbs a week (by my trainer) and workout HARD 2-3 times a week and do lighter work outs in between. Watch what you eat, and eat healthy good foods and lots of protein if your lifting. It will come off, I'm down 22 lbs in just under 3 months and stronger than I have ever been!
  • Honeybea86
    Options
    Hi holly I was much like you at 20. I had just had my first baby and after 6 months of breast feeding I was still at 220. My husband deployed and I decided I was going to change. In the 15 month deployment I went from 220 to 130. I ate about 1500 calories a day of veggies fruit and lean protein. The BBQ became my main source of cooking. I worked out 6 days a week for 2 hours each day with one cheat meal a week. I went from a size 16 to a 6. Now I'm back on here 6 years later because I gained a little back in the past 4 weeks I have lost 12 of the 30 I want to lose. Good luck holly. It's a long road but its worth it.