It's lunch time and I'm already over my protein!

Options
2»

Replies

• julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It will not make any difference over the period of 1 day. If you were consistently going over every single day, that could potentially impact your progress. If you're really that concerned, just eat slightly less carbs or fat to balance out the total calories for the day.

This seems like very odd advice coming from someone who appears to know a thing or two about protein and muscles (judging from your pictures. Whoa!) I've never seen anyone anywhere say to limit protein.

I didn't reccomend limiting protein, i reccommended cutting it out elsewhere - from carbs or fat, if she was really concerned as to weight gain or something. I personally ear 1g/lb for Protein, .5g/lb fat, and dump the rest into carbs to the point where i can gain about 1lb per month when i want to add size. When i want to drop weight, ill just reduce my carbs a bit, and up my protein slightly.

She's not saying she's going over on calories. Just that she went over the piddly 60g of protein MFP set her at, and she was wondering if that was a bad thing (which obviously it's not.) She still has over 1,000 calories left for the day. The way I read your first comment was that you were telling her consistently going over on protein could limit her progress, but I see that you thought she was talking about calories. Miscommunication all around. Never mind.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    You need a minimum of 1g\lb of LBM per day. Over is fine. Consistently way under is bad.

define "need"
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    going over on protein is not a big deal. My trainer WANTS me over, just means I recover faster from workouts.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    be over on protein -- it doesn't hurt you -- change your settings.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I might think that your protein percentage might be too low and your carb percentage too high. If you feel like more protein though it couldn't hurt as long as your aren't doubling it everyday without adding a weight lifting routine :)
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    You need a minimum of 1g\lb of LBM per day. Over is fine. Consistently way under is bad.

I also manually changed my goal to 1gram of protein per pound of Lean Body Mass.
    I found this to be helpful:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/553149-healthy-eating-101-improve-your-fat-loss-and-muscle-gain/
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    People telling you that it's not possible to go over on protein are not correct. You can go over on protein and it can cause huge problems, including kidney failure. That being said, it's okay to go over on a few days, just don't go overboard every single day. And if you're strength training you will need some protein to repair your muscles. I'm sure you'll be fine. The people that go over are usually people that make it a point to over consume protein thinking it will help them, or people that regularly eat too much animal protein.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

define "need"

by need i mean should get ;)
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Everyone is saying the same thing! So I guess I need to hit up these sites and figure out what the correct percentages for me would be.

Thanks everyone! :)
  • laf0195
    laf0195 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    As people have been saying on here, mfp sets the protein goal extremely low for someone at a calorie deficit. When I started out here my protein "goal" was 15%, around 30 or 40g. Istarted doing some research into healthy macro levels, and calculated my LBM (lean body mass) and realized that in order to keep from losing significant LBM, I needed more like 110 g of protein per day. I've only been doing that the past few days, and let me tell you, it's hard when you start out. However I'm finding great sources of protein and definitely feel pretty good. Also, I do an aerobic/strength workout about 4-5 times per week to burn calories but retain what muscle I have.

Do your own calculations and figure out how much protein YOU should be getting. And don't ignore carbs, they are essential for recovery after strength training. My macros are set at 40% carbs, 30%protein and 30% fat.

Hope this has helped a bit. Good luck!
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Going over is fine, especially if you lift weights and do the 30 day shred. You need protein to build and maintain your lean muscle.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Protein = good!! I look at the protein numbers as a minimum too.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question. I've been noticing that I'm over every day well. Thanks.