I'm 5'0" and eat 1500 calories. My story of weight loss.

Options

Replies

• SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This applies to EVERYONE. I made the same mistakes starting out, and wasn't losing at all at 1350 calories (I'm 5'8"). I thought I would never succeed because like you, I couldn't possibly eat any less...I was already SO hungry and tired. I did some research and experimenting, and now, I eat around 1650-1700, and I'm still in the losing phase, at about a pound a week. Life is so much better when you have enough to eat, not to mention, this is much more sustainable!
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!

I think it all depends how you do things, though. For example, I had my calorie setting at 1,200 for awhile and now at 1,340. We differ in that I DO eat back my exercise calories. From my understanding, this is the MFP default.

I tend to exercise about 5-6 days a week and eat anywhere from 1,500 to over 2,000 on those days. I guess my point is that I don't think there's anything wrong with 1,200 calories as a base/starting point, especially for people on the small side (I'm 5'3" and weigh ~125-130), if you are eating back exercise calories. Either way, I think it's great for people to listen to their bodies and do what's best/healthy for them.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to lose weight on 1500 calories a day! I'm 5 foot with at least 70 pounds to lose. MFP gives me 1420 a day to lose 1 pound a week, I stayed the same. Read about EMTWL and tried 1800- I put on weight. Came down to 1600- I put on weight. Back down to 1420 at the minute and staying the same again. Going to have to try 1200 I think even though I don't want to. Maybe it's because I don't exercise much.
  • cuboids
    cuboids Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is great advice. Thanks!
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Great post! I completely agree. I hear so many petites say that they have to stay at 1200 calories and then exercise and end up netting 900 or so calories. I can't imagine-I would starve. I really never started on the 1200.. I was so hungry. I started at 1300 and am now at 1600. Somedays I may eat 2000. I think it is the only way i can make this a lifetime change. I am working on the last 10 pounds but know it will come off in time.

You are a great inspiration.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I have a similar story...I started eating 1200 and lost weight but I had to eat back my exercise calories because I was so hungry...so eventually I changed to 1500 and still was losing weight. 4'11" currently at 105ish and maintaining.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Nfgchick, I am at work and can't take time to read all the posts, so I apologize if you have addresses this--but in your first post you stated that you finally settled on eating 1500 calories gross, not net. So on days that you exercise, it is more than likely that you burn at least 200- 300 calories --which effectively puts you back at a net of 1200-1300 calories. I don't really see how this is different from accepting a net of 1200 and eating back all of your exercise calories. It seems like the only difference is that you eat 1500 calories on non exercise days.
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this calorie configuration is confusing sometimes. Im 5'7.5" and started at 216lbs and they were telling me to eat 1200 also. Must be the lowest default that MFP gives women. I set mine at 1500 and sometimes eat back some of my exercise cals (300-400 a day burn). It may still be a bit low for me but since Im only into week 3 and it seems to be working I will stick with it for now and adjust if need be. Good luck everyone :drinker:
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    Thank you for posting! I'm 43, 5'2: and 122.4 today. I think what has happened over the years is that I've become more sedentary (sitting at a desk). Drives me nuts. I've gone from 105/110 weight range to a little over 120. During the last 2 years, the weight wants to go up from that.

I've always eaten between 1500 to 2000 calories, but 2000 is high if I don't work out. It is refreshing to hear somebody say you can lose if you eat more than 1200 calories. I can do that once in awhile, but I don't feel good and have a tendency to want to binge because I am starving.

Most of my life, I've said I should be a large person based on how much I eat because I've always eaten a lot, and I'm not able to eat quite as much these days without noticing a change on the scale. What has been helpful for me is getting a heart rate monitor. I was always a little more on the hyper side when I was younger and moved about a lot and fidgeted. These days, I'm calmer. That makes a bit of a difference over time on calories burned. Now, I just need to get more activity.

The HRM has been helpful for me to see calories burned during different activities, and this helps me figure out which activities I should increase to burn more calories. It also shows that just taking a walk can burn a lot more calories than just sitting at a desk.
  • DietFemme
    Options
    Well done!

I do think it all depends on whether you eat back your exercise calories, I had my head wrecked over it until I realised that 1230 NET + eating back all my exercise calories brings me to almost the exact same place as the TDEE way, circa 1650 GROSS.

Do whatever works for you, but if you are doing the MFP circa 1200 way, log and eat back *every activity calorie*. Seriously.

I'm 5'1 btw, and have lost 58 lbs since January 2012.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bump-great job!!!
  • kylamb
    kylamb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I agree with you 100%!
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    As youAs you said, do whatever works best for you. I'm 5'3 and also eat 1500 calories. I'm doing ok so far plus I don't get cranky or miserable (most of the time!). I also enjoy things like a bar of chocolate or a drink. It's all about adapting for life, not dieting. :drinker:
  • LaStefany
    LaStefany Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think this is a really great story and I'm so happy for your success!

However, I'm 5'4" on the 1200 calorie thing.. and I really only eat, on average, 850 a day.
    Granted, I've only been doing this for almost week. I don't feel starved though. Actually, I can't imagine eating any more than what I have been. And, I'm working out about 30 minutes everyday (squats, walking/jogging (C25k) Push-ups, Ab workouts, etc.) Drinking lots of water.

I do want to lose weight, but more importantly gain muscle and be healthy, strong and toned.
    So, I guess I should up my calorie intake? It may sound silly, but I don't know how I would do that. EAT MORE. Yeah, yeah, I just can't imagine eating more without sabotaging myself. o:
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to lose weight on 1500 calories a day! I'm 5 foot with at least 70 pounds to lose. MFP gives me 1420 a day to lose 1 pound a week, I stayed the same. Read about EMTWL and tried 1800- I put on weight. Came down to 1600- I put on weight. Back down to 1420 at the minute and staying the same again. Going to have to try 1200 I think even though I don't want to. Maybe it's because I don't exercise much.
    Perhaps you may also be really sure that the calorie data that you add to your diet is really accurate. Don't guess on quantity. Weigh and measure everything. I bought a digital food scale at Walmart and it is invaluable and was not expensive. I have seen many articles on weight loss, and almost all talk about how the majority of people underestimate what they eat. For me, it was realizing that I have to record even the incidentals, like the little bit of low fat half and half that I put in my tea--with several cups, it adds up.
  • akfulkerson
    akfulkerson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I'm 5'2" and also recently discovered that 1200 calories wasn't enough. I researched what to do when hitting a plateau. I ate more calories for a week straight, worked out less and lost 2 pounds. I was scared that I would undo all of the hard work I had put in for months, but it really has taught me to raise my calorie intake.

Great post! First one I have commented on.
  • reerazzle
    reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jules1202
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I am short and I know its so easy to fall into this trap. I just wish I could get my DH to understand the concept! Every time he works on losing weight he limits his intake severely and then is miserable. Yesterday I asked him if he stayed on plan (eating healthy throughout the day) and then he answer "Yes, I skipped lunch". :huh: Its about eating healthy not starving yourself.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Draw the offensive coworkers likeness on to a tomato with edible ink, make a little toothpick body and slowly bite into the "head' whilst staring directly at them. Maybe pointing at them with your free hand for emphasis. That's what I'd do

EDIT
    This was obviously meant to be posted elsewhere. *backs away*