Ladies: Mother Nature Demands Massive Amounts of Chocolate

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    last time i had a visit from aunt flo i had an ounce of chocolate covered pretzels and that did the trick

Yum!
  • Amatambi
    Options
    I don't actually crave a lot of anything when that time rolls around. I'm in a lot of pain but I try to keep my mind off of it and keep myself busy. I keep my tylenol and advil with me and play through the pain. I try to drink a lot of water around that time, more than usual and that seems to help move things along. I have noticed that when I tend to be sedentary more than active, my cramps are a lot worse.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Salted Caramel Truffles... satisfies just about every sweet/salty/creamy craving all at once. All it takes is one and I'm good!
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of dark chocolate here and there and try not to go overboard! My new favorite thing to do for chocolate cravings is slice up a banana, put a teeny bit of natural PB (a tablespoon should be more than enough for the whole banana) on each banana slice and then top the slices off with a thumbnail sized piece of dark chocolate (or chocolate chips!). It's delicious and healthy!

486335_192854400855107_369496315_n.jpg

Edit: Included a photo so everyone gets the idea (that's not my photo... I use less pb than that)!

This looks good :)
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have some chocolate pudding- 80 calories per little cup, not so bad.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm not huge on chocolate. But when I want it, I go to the local chocolatier and get a piece of quality chocolate in whatever I am craving (dark? milk? ginger? chilli?)

But I haven't had a legit period in like 8 years (IUD, pregnancy, breastfeeding, IUD).
  • tragedytotriumph
    tragedytotriumph Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This happened to me the other day and I caved and had a big bar of chocolate... and it felt so good!!! When it's that time of the month (or just before in my case) I have to give in to the craving or I will go crazy. Any other time and I can eat something healthy instead and feel satisfied. Also, it has to be chocolate nothing else will do! So glad others go through the same thing. As long as it fits into your calorie goal I'm sure it's fine.. I don't really deny myself anything unless I can't afford the calories.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I usually do very well with the 2 bite rule – if I want something I have two bites

Or I’ve found alternate snacks ,dark chocolate and strawberries with fat free whip cream….mmmmmm

BUT last night I had the combo of major stress at job, birthday cake at work, and TOM – so I caved, and I went nuts, and I ate a lot of crap and I felt bad about it – which stressed me out more, so I ate more….

BUT today is a new day – and I’ve done better.
    And that’s what matters.

Try to do better – but if you slip up, it’s not the end of the world.
  • kirstencorren
    kirstencorren Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    They say if you are craving chocolate your body wants the nutrients found in almonds.
    :)

This is VERY interesting to me. Can you elaborate on this a little further? How often are cravings related to a lack of nutrients?

Thanks!

P.S. it's everything in me right now not to go get a snicker bar from the vending machine...biting my nails is just not doing the trick, LOL.

here is a quick link with just some basics

http://www.dailytransformations.com/2011/05/05/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    chocolate as dark as i can find it. 72% or higher. it hits the spot and i really can't manage more than a couple squares. then if my sweet tooth rears its head, i find a red sweet pepper
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    I just got some of the Hershey's Simple Pleasures and 2 pieces has 60 calories and it just the right amount to make the world a brighter place!

It's true - I keep a bag at the house in a drawer that is just mine ... :-)
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I went to a chocolate tasting class a couple months ago and found the answer (for me at least). The craving is chemical, and you aren't going to satisfy that chemical need with anything under 70% cocoa. It can be cheap or expensive (unless you're a chocolate snob), but as long as it is 70% or higher, one small serving should fix the craving. I've found I have to give it a few minutes...i.e., eat a square and consciously wait 5 minutes...and the craving is gone!

I really like Ghirardelli's dark stuff, and another tasty one I found is the Green & Black Organic 85% dark chocolate (they sell it at Whole Foods).
  • Subowski
    Options
    I haven't had a legit monthly visit for 3 years now either (Mirena IUD), but I do get occasional cravings...tonight I felt dizzy and out of sorts, so i caved and ate a load of Cadbury's chocolate buttons.

I now have an oesophageal spasm threatening, but I don't feel dizzy or crabby any more. :o)
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Early onset menopause at least 5 years ago took away the visits. But I still get chocolate cravings. I just give in. A piece or two of candy will usually fit into my calorie goal. Or if I know I will be doing something extravegant (like going to the Chocolate Bar) I'll go for a longer run, or do a Zumba video, to burn off extra calories.
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This is something I always keep in my freezer, time of the month or not. I swear by it:

Take a banana, slice it up, and put it in the freezer.
    When frozen solid (about two hours), put the slices in a blender or food processor along with unsweetened cocoa powder.
    Blend until smooth.
    Enjoy your chocolate soft serve! :happy:

Something magical happens to bananas when you freeze them and then pulverize them that makes them the consistency of ice cream. Not sure what it is, but I'm not complaining! And if you eat the whole container, all you've eaten is a banana and pure cocoa. Bananas even help with cramping because of their potassium... it's a total win-win situation.
    You can even add healthy add ins: all natural peanut butter, strawberries or cherries, dark chocolate chips, ground flaxseed... anything goes.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    When that lovely time rolls around each month when all you want to do is curl up in the fetal position and fill every inch of your being with chocolate, what do you do? Give in? Eat just a little? Or refuse and force everyone around you to deal with your bitterness of being a woman and suffering from hormone overload and cocoa deficiency (I swear that's a real thing)?

Me, I just enjoyed the crap out of a Mr. Big and am plotting a plate full of raw veggies for dinner tonight. However, I'm not sore about this at all. I actually LIKE a plate of raw veggies for dinner sometimes :/

Eat low sugar dark chocolate - won't mess too much with your blood glucose and mood, packed with minerals. Most commercial chocolate is way more sugar than cocoa, akin to self medicating with 'legal highs'.

And take a tough look at your diet all month round, are you getting enough/ a balance of all the minerals, plenty of fibre, essential fatty acids especially long chain omega-3s? There really is plenty that can be done for hormonal fluctuations and PMS with consistently good nutrition.

As it turns out, chocolate is really rather good for you. There are substances in it that help your body to repair damaged DNA.
    The recommended "dose" is one ounce per day. I make my own very healthy chocolate from unsweetened baker's chocolate. Take 4 oz. of baker's chocolate and melt it in a double boiler. If you don't have a double boiler, you can make one from putting a pyrex glass bowl atop a smallish pan of boiling water (just make sure that you don't get ANY water in your chocolate or it will turn "chalky"). When the chocolate is melted, stir in 1 tsp of vanilla (real vanilla tastes best) and 2 rounded tablespoons of "dextrose" (dextrose is the industry name for pure glucose--it is also sometimes called "corn sugar"---not to be confused with High Fructose Corn Syrup). A one ounce piece is about 100 calories and is very satisfying because you use non-addictive glucose instead of the very addictive sucrose (table sugar) as the sweetener. Most of the calories (about 80) come from the chocolate itself and not from the glucose. Glucose does not give you the metabolic hit that sucrose (which is 50% fructose) does. Our bodies do not deal well with a large quantity of fructose. On the other hand, the body knows well what to do with glucose and easily converts it into energy. As long as one doesn't eat a lot of it, it will do little to raise blood sugar precipitously. Eating fructose is much more problematic. Some experts say that we should limit our fructose consumption to 25 grams or less per day (the amount in a couple of pieces of low fructose fruit and some vegetables like carrots and tomatoes). Eating table sugar puts us way over that level. As an example, a normal piece of carrot cake will give you about 130 grams of sucrose (of which 75 grams is fructose). By the way, a piece of "Carrot Cake A La Mode" from The Keg Restaurant will load you with 260 grams of sucrose (of which 130 grams would be fructose). That's 1.25 CUPS of sugar and a whopping 2,245 calories! Sucrose is "The Fat Switch" because of its fructose content.

This chocolate tends to be on the bitter side and is something of an acquired taste. :wink:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a legit monthly visit for 3 years now either (Mirena IUD), but I do get occasional cravings...tonight I felt dizzy and out of sorts, so i caved and ate a load of Cadbury's chocolate buttons.

I now have an oesophageal spasm threatening, but I don't feel dizzy or crabby any more. :o)

I have eliminated my esophageal reflux by cutting my carbohydrate intake to 100-200 grams per day and cutting out sugar altogether. I used to have terrible spasms.
  • llama_sammich
    Options
    They say if you are craving chocolate your body wants the nutrients found in almonds. I personally grab the nutella or a can of chocolate frosting plus milk straight from the jug...NO SHAME!

But it kind of works out because the more you move the less the cramping tends to hurt (with me at least) so staying active during that hellish week is motivation for less pain (and more chocolate)

:)

I thoroughly enjoy this. You're my new hero <3
  • pikachuFL
    pikachuFL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I used to hate getting my period when I was trying to lose weight because I knew I would have minimal weight loss that week due to water retention. However, I discovered that if you can fight the cravings and not give in, you can lose a huge amount of weight the following week. As for chocolate, I used to budget a small amount of chocolate either once a week or every few days to keep the need from building up and overwhelming me.

I had to get a hysterectomy last year for health reasons so now I don't have to deal with that mess. Thank goodness! This is my first diet since my surgery so I'm hoping this time I'll be able to reach my goal without those issues to deal with.