Period weight gain.

Options
Do any of the ladies here ever gain weight when you are on your period. If so about how much? I feel like I've been doing everything that I'm supposed to but this last week I have gained two pounds and I wonder if I can attribute it to being that time of the month. I appreciate any input!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Most people do gain weight at that time of the month. It's just part of being female.

Gains can be up to 10lbs... some people gain more, some gain less.

Your gain could be due to that time of the month or just a natural change in weight.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    ya i agree with the above its just part of being a girl and having periods you gain weight. try to stay away from high sodium food that will make u feel bloated.
  • jacie87
    jacie87 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I *always* without fail gain water weight. But it always goes away the week after. I suggest just keeping at the healthy eating and don't worry about weight until the week after when your body resets. If it really bothers you, you could possibly try lowering your sodium intake so you don't retain as much of that water. :)
  • beachinit_beers
    beachinit_beers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    now or never is correct! Most women gain 0-10 lbs during that time of month. The best time to weigh yourself is 2 weeks after your last day!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sometimes... There are months when I can gain up to 5 lbs and then other months (like right now) where I'm just maintaining. I'm hoping that I have gained a little and next week I'll have a significant drop lol. Wishful thinking!!
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I always gain at least 2-5 pounds during the entire week of that time of month...embrace it and know it will go away and its mostly just water weight.
  • cheryl117
    Options
    I noticed today that my rings are tight from water gain ,I should be starting in the next few days
  • mhouston24828
    Options
    I am right there with you. I normally gain 2-5 lbs when that time of the month hits but it always goes away after.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Estrogen reduces the efficiency of TSH, so more TSH is needed for the same metabolic effect and thus metabolism is more prone to changes at those times.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this! I weighed myself a couple days ago and I was back at my starting weight! And here I thought I had worked so hard to lose those 5 pounds... I keep measurements of my waist, hip, etc. and the only thing that was different was I had an extra inch. Water weight! Anyway, today, I'm down 5 pounds again. Life is good!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 4-6 pounds around that time, but it's only temporary so I never worry about it. My trainer said he'd see that a lot with his female clients.
  • Angel0787
    Angel0787 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Okay, I feel better now reading this...I was getting frustrated, Ive gained 2 lbs the last couple days and it's getting close to that time of the month for me, within the next couple days. I am still working out 6 days a week and eating right so Id see no other reason for the weight to just jump back on like that!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I usual have. 3-5 gain around my period but less than a week after its over its usually back down.
  • tsdaughe
    Options
    I usually gain 2-5 lbs on the scale which is just water weight. I get extremely bloated and uncomfortable. I hate it. This is a problem for me 2 weeks out of every month. I try to avoid the scale and reduce my salt and increase water.