Coming back after ACL reconstruction

Options
Hey everyone! Quick back-story...

I started using myfitness pal quite a few months ago. I was 29 and hit 290 pounds, and noticed my energy starting to really drop. I am an Animator for a video game company so I sit down ALL day. It started becoming hard to motivate myself to do anything.

So, I started going to a boxing gym because that is something that has always interested me since I was a kid. It was very difficult but i started pushing through and started losing weight. I lost about 25-30 pounds and felt my energy going up. Long story short, I tore my ACL and have had to take off quite a few months to recover after surgery (patella tendon graft) . I'm just now starting to get back into exercise, and its been a difficult path. I cant do the exercise that I was doing, so now I have to find more creative ways to exercise, while also trying to strengthen my leg.

Would love to get some friends on here, especially people who have went through any sort of surgery that put a dead stop in their exercise pattern. I am sitting at 255-260'ish right now, and want to get down around 220.

Replies

• Abi_bug04
    Abi_bug04 Posts: 220
    Options
    I just posted a couple of days back about this!
    Feel free to add me, I just had my ACL reconstructed a few months ago...and am hoping to finally kick it into high gear and get back in shape!!
  • Foulou
    Foulou Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks Abi! Added you.
  • tomeddington
    Options
    Hi!

I had a patella tendon graft back in August, I've been to the gym in the months since but have have only really started going regularly again since the end of December (when my physio gave me the all clear to start running again). Its really starting to improve and I have started swimming again.

I was very ill after the surgery and lost around 2 stone/12kg/28 lb in the 3 or 4 weeks following the surgery so on doctors orders had to put it back on quickly which meant eating double portions when I really had no appetite. I ended up getting used to the larger portions an was overeating quite a lot towards the end of November and its taken quite a lot to bring that back down to normal…

Anyway, I restarted using MFP (after a nice long break over summer) to help get my portion sizes back to normal and keep an eye on nutrients and its starting to show. So far I'm only connected with my housemate but would be really interested to see how things are going for others in this situation!

Feel free to add me!
  • Foulou
    Options
    Sorry it took so long for me to notice your post! I am active on here. Adding you.

I have also just got the all clear for straight line jogging, but it still scares me a little. My knee gets tired really fast, and I get this weird feeling in it... Like it wobbles. Its not painful but it just feels odd.

Weird that you lost so much after the surgery. I've never heard of that. I ended up gaining some weight from stopping my workouts, topped with the holidays and overeating.

I jumped up around 10 pounds in the course of about 4 months. I have lost it all back relatively quickly. I'd say it was mostly water weight. Seems like every pounds i lose makes me that much easier on my knee.

Great to hear others going through the same thing as me.
  • bowencandy
    bowencandy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to speak with some people who are familiar with ACL reconstructions. I had my ACL reconstructed about 5 years ago. For the most part, I dont have any trouble with it at all. BUT, I have been trying to train to do a 5k and when I try to run, I have pain that lasts a day or so and then goes away. I am used to it getting a tight sensation from a lot of walking but that is bearable. I am pretty sure the pain is from the impact of the run, whereas there is much less impact walking. Anyone have any suggestions, because I really want to run. Would a brace help with impact? I am open to ideas on this. Thanks
  • Foulou
    Options
    Hey Bowencandy.

I'm not sure... My experiences with running was a some pain but not unbearable. I get a "wobbly" weak knee feeling If i run too much which worries me but isn't TOO unbearable in the pain department.

Knee braces do take a little stress off the knee. I personally don't use them very often, but I probably should.

How hard are you running? I really noticed weight training on my leg really helped with pain. Doing squats and leg presses hurt when doing them, but a week after I notice the pain much less noticeable when running. Especially on the leg presses.