Workout routine questions

running_mom
running_mom Posts: 204 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I know that you should change up your workout routine. But how often? When I first starting going to the gym I only did the elliptical for an hour. Now I change my hour of cardio between the elliptical, bike, treadmill, and running. I do run 3 miles everyday because I'm going to do a 5K in May. And, that ususally takes me about 28 min or so. But the other half hour of cardio is whatever I feel like doing that day. I guess my question is should I try and get a routine down for a while so my body can get used to it and then change it up or should I keep changing it daily?

On a side note I also do some weight training as well. Which reminds me of another question...sorry : ) I've heard not to do much ab work until all the fat is gone. Basically it's because even though you're building muscle there's still fat on top and you can't really tell all the hard work you've put yourself through. So, should I stick to just cardio to lose more fat and then kick up the ab work or still do both cardio and abs?

Confusing anyone? I'm sorry. It's just that I can totally see my weight loss everywhere but my stomach. I've had 2 kids so I have that baby pouch thing going on. Trying to get rid of that before summer if possible!

Any suggestions?

Replies

• lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    really you only need to change your routine about every 4 weeks.

You should do abs (I've never seen that before) so that you add stability to your core, improve your posture, and help your running.

You should see about going longer on your runs...remember a 5k is 3.1 miles. You can find some great running plans at runnersworld.com and they all work. I've used them before.

Good luck!
  • mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    runnersworld is awesome. Reminds me of my shoes. <3
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    It's never too early to start working your abs. Because working muscles burns calories which tend to come from your fat deposits so working one loses the other! True, you won't see your great abs until all the fat goes away, but just wait for that day and boy, you'll have a great body!! :D
This discussion has been closed.