what can you realistically grow in an apartment?

Options
I live in an apartment with a covered patio. But theres really nowhere that i can place something that it isn't covered. Is there anything i can grow indoors? (vegetable and herb wise) Any tips?

Eventually i want to have my own flower herb and vegetable gardens, but thats a few years down the road when i can afford a house. (hopefully we will both still have our jobs by then !!!!!!!!!)

Replies

• treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You can grow about any herb inside as long as you have sunlight. Also, have you considered a container garden? Some plants require low light and are easy to grow in containers. I used to gow lettuces and spinach in containers, but there are several other plants you can grow too.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    sprouts don't even need sunlight

lettuce needs very little

invest in a good grow light and you can grow anything you want in any corner of your place. That's what I did when I lived in a windowless 1 bedroom.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    herbs... heard avocado trees make great houseplants too... If I lived close to where they sell them and the shipping cost on those things wouldn't break the bank I'd get one.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Grow lights can help you grow anything. Tomatoes are always a good start. I am growing a pineapple indoors right now.

Google Indoor Window Farms.... you'll see a bunch of homemade farms made out of milk jugs and water bottles that hang on or in front of a window.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    When I lived in an apartment my covered balcony got some sunlight. I used pots and planted herbs, lettuce, sprouts and tomatos.

If you have a corner of your apartment that gets a decent amount of sunlight pop a table there and put pots on the table and grow things in that... or find a light as others have mentioned.

I've lived in apartments for the majority of my life and hated how hard it was to grow veggies and such... I'm so excited for when the spring comes now that my husband and I purchased a home with a yard. I can't wait to be able to have a garden (provided my three dogs don't decide to constantly explore said garden when it's set up).