When is your food 'weak point'?

Options
Just for a bit of a chat, when does your food weakness point strike? Mine is usually between 8-10pm (so right about now!), how does everyone else distract themselves from wanting to eat? I try to keep busy in the evenings (especially when my husband is working) as i used to eat through boredom!

Replies

• Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If I stay up late chances are I'll eat. Sooo, I try to go to bed around 9 and if I don't, I'll knit or do another activity to keep my hands busy. Chocolate and yarn are just wrong together.
  • lucypeaks
    lucypeaks Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    haha i can imagine it might get a bit messy!! Good plan :)
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If I stay up late chances are I'll eat. Sooo, I try to go to bed around 9 and if I don't, I'll knit or do another activity to keep my hands busy. Chocolate and yarn are just wrong together.

I have a speck of dust on my screen and read that as "chocolate and yam are just wrong together" - I'll say!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    right after i get home from work..while waiting for dinner to cook...i could eat a small child i think...but not because im starving...if i go straight to the gym after work, or run errands or whatever i do not need to consume an entire bag of chips, but once i get home..its on...i dont get it.
  • lucypeaks
    Options
    i think the 'boredom eating' factor is in play quite a lot of the time isn't it, once we're home for the day? If i'm out shopping or seeing friends, or even just at work, i'm never as hungry as i am at home in the evenings...maybe i should go out more at night!
  • junip1977
    junip1977 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the evenings around 8-10 pm also. I start out eating something low cal and healthy and before you know it I have eaten like 5 snacks because I just can't satisfy the craving. Very frustrating.
  • lucypeaks
    Options
    i am a lover of snacks too- weight watchers snacks/desserts are quite nice and have been my saviour (but still have to know when to stop, i have to remind myself of my daily calorie goal!)
  • vinceb143
    vinceb143 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat late as well. Part of it is that I'm tired and my resistance is down, and the other part is that I sometimes don't eat enough during the day and this is when it catches up with me.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I get the evening munchies as well. I try not to keep unhealthy foods in my house because I just can't resist them if they are there a lot of the time. If I'm craving sweet I will try to go for fruit or vanilla greek yogurt. If I really need something chocolatey and delicious I will have a skinny cow ice cream snadwich. They are really good and totally satisfy the craving for not too many calories.
  • ShamsZahar
    Options
    I actually get caught by the proverbial "midnight snack"
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    If you know that it's likely to happen plan late snacks into your diary. If it's just a craving have a glass of water, it takes 15 minutes for a craving to pass
  • lucypeaks
    Options
    @faye_anderson i usually have a hot drink (but not coffee) later in the evening and that helps :) it's true that when i stop for the day, about 7.30pm, that's when the hunger catches up with me!
  • Dawnymaries
    Options
    Hmm, for me, it has a lot to do with who is around. When I'm around my best friend all I want to do is eat... lol. That is usually in the evening or late at night when we're watching movies or something.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Mine is the evening too. I realised I just prefer to eat later on, so I intentionally have the majority of my calories from 6-7 pm onwards. It works for me, as I don't get very hungry earlier on in the day.

When I'm craving but not really hungry, and have eaten enough, I sometimes distract myself by having a bath, or doing some yoga. A cup of hot tea can help too.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    @faye_anderson i usually have a hot drink (but not coffee) later in the evening and that helps :) it's true that when i stop for the day, about 7.30pm, that's when the hunger catches up with me!

Why do you stop at 7:30 if you know you get hungry later? There's no time limit on eating :flowerforyou:
  • lucypeaks
    Options
    i meant stop for the day as in relax for the day...until that point i don't really sit down much! I generally save a little of my daily calorie intake for the evening to i can have a snack with my hot drink :)
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Right as I get off work. I'm hungry and I'm in a car, so that's when I start thinking about what I could retrieve for dinner (as opposed to cooking something from scratch).

Late night snacking I can usually curb just by grabbing a cup of tea.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If you know that it's likely to happen plan late snacks into your diary. If it's just a craving have a glass of water, it takes 15 minutes for a craving to pass

I completely agree. I know that I eat more in the evening so I just space my calories out so I can have something later on. I'd much rather have a smaller breakfast or lunch and then a snack later on rather than forcing myself to bed (probably gnawing at the pillow) or to feel guilty because I'm hungry.

At the end of the day it's calories in, calories out and the time of day you have them doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

I've currently got 160 calories left; if I get hungry I'll have something to eat (and not feel guilty), if not I won't.
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I snack at night (8-10) even when I'm not hungry. It's a mental thing; I get this insatiable craving. I haven't figured out how to get past it but I know it's sabotaging my weight loss goals. I've been stuck at the same place for months and I really think it's because I’m eating too many calories at night. Any further suggestions out there?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I snack at night (8-10) even when I'm not hungry. It's a mental thing; I get this insatiable craving. I haven't figured out how to get past it but I know it's sabotaging my weight loss goals. I've been stuck at the same place for months and I really think it's because I’m eating too many calories at night. Any further suggestions out there?

Protein is a good appetite killer so make sure you get plenty with your evening meal. And... you can always save a few calories for the evening. It's 11.14pm where I live and I'm currently having a rye crispbread with sugarfree peanut butter (high fibre and protein so really filling), washed down with a pint of water. I can guarantee I won't be hungry again before going to bed and will also have energy reserves to go for a run first thing in the morning without having breakfast beforehand :)

Tomorrow, after running, I will either have a small breakfast or lunch so I can spare those calories for my evening snack!