Drinking Water

Options
I have a really hard time drinking water. I drink tea all the time but I still need to drink regular water. I don't know how to get myself to drink more!

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Have half a cup of water while you brew your tea, for example.

Alternatively, although I think water is best, as long as you are well hydrated, keep drinking the tea and don't worry about the water.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I use one of those starbuck's cups with a straw in it. Using a straw helps you drink faster. I still don't love plain water, but I'm getting in more than I did before.

There is also nothing wrong with drinking decaf tea instead of water, if you need to.
  • shorrtcaake
    Options
    Flavored water :) Or like Crystal Light or Mio are great
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    "I Never drink water. Fish f*** in it." - W.C. Fields
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Would a fresh lemon in your water help? They also have water flavor packets that have zero calories. Try your hardest to drink water. Even if you have to force yourself to drink it.
  • s_wilson84
    s_wilson84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try homemade herbal waters instead of chemically flavored stuff like Mio.

http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/251/Easy+Fruit+&+Herb+Flavored+Water
  • ladytay80
    ladytay80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Add lemons to the water or try Mio....it gives you a little flavor to your water. I tried the Fruit Punch flavor and it's not half bad.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I never used to drink straight water until I started on MFP. I carry a 500 ml water bottle around with me all day, and just keep drinking it and topping it up. It took me a while to get up to the level I drink now but there are hidden benefits like better skin and it has sort of become 2nd nature to me.
  • cashgunz
    Options
    get a camelbak water bottle with bite valve! they're less than 12 bucks on amazon and i SWEAR i drink double the amount of water i used to now that i keep this water bottle at work. its strangely fun to drink with the bite valve and i find that it's easier to drink too...so i'll gulp down a ton of water when i used to just sip. try it!
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    an mfp friend turned me on to this:

http://www.food.com/recipe/sassy-water-368368

I put it in a stein and call it manly water ;)
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm a hot tea/iced tea person too. I drink loads of it all day every day, straight, no sugar, nothing froo froo. I say as long as you're not drinking sweet tea, just keep on drinking tea if that's what you like and try to squeeze in one cup of water here and there. The diuretic effect isn't enough to sabotage your hydration. If you're worried about caffeine, there's loads of caffeine free teas out there that are lovely.
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    I drink naturally flavored seltzer water. Don't get the ones with aspartame by mistake (unless you don't mind having that, I just choose not to). It took me a while to get used to it as it's not as sweet as soda but now I love them!
  • TBirdColorado
    TBirdColorado Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A friend who is married to a doctor says all liquid counts. Water is better, but tea counts even though it's a diuretic. You still get the benefit.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Make a pitcher of water with half a sliced cucumber, 1 sliced lemon, and a few sprigs of mint. You have to drink it within 48 hours but it's better than just a slice of lemon AND healthier than the fake stuff.
  • mirabelk
    mirabelk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Initially, I found drinking water a bit tricky to increase from my usual of 1/2 to a full litre to what I'm aiming for now - 2 to 3 litres a day. The greatest downside to drinking this much water, of course, is that I've discovered I have Tiny Bladder Syndrome. ha-ha

That said, when I'm struggling to get through my water, I change up my strategy. Instead of just taking a gulp when I'm feeling thirsty, I instead take a gulp whenever I change tasks, change positions, answer an email, take a phone call, etc. Basically, anything to remind me that there's been a break in my activity is also a good time to have a gulp. Don't sip. Fill those chipmunk pockets in your cheeks!
  • Corrie62
    Corrie62 Posts: 191
    Options
    Flavored water :) Or like Crystal Light or Mio are great

That is what I do for 100% of my water consumption (2-4 liters a day). I mix half a Crystal Light Tangerine Grapefruit in my 500 ml water bottles. Started out full strength, but eventually found it too strong and cut back...now it is just enought to be refreshing but not overpowering.
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I actually don't really have a problem drinking water, I actually like it. I try to drink a large glass before breakfast, lunch & dinner & that at least gets 3 cups out of the way & does fill you up some before you eat. The only part that's annoying to me is having to pee a hundred times a day..lol. I lost weight a few years back & was drinking 60-80oz of water a day & my body got used to it & it wasn't so bad. Hope your able to figure something out :-)
  • jnlynn
    jnlynn Posts: 101
    Options
    Make a pitcher of water with half a sliced cucumber, 1 sliced lemon, and a few sprigs of mint. You have to drink it within 48 hours but it's better than just a slice of lemon AND healthier than the fake stuff.

sounds yummy, will have to try that. thanks
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try making yourself drink one cup of water before you're allowed to have anything else. Want some tea? Have a cup of water and if you're still thirsty, go ahead and drink you tea.
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    I have ALWAYS had a hard time with drinking water. I found flavored sparkling water at Wal-Mart in a 1 liter bottle, and it's good. The Key Lime flavor is like Sprite. When I empty the bottle, I fill it up with just regular water and add a couple squirts of Mio to it. 2 liters of water is over the "8 glasses" you need in a day, so when I finish with that, then I'm done for the day! You just gotta put your mind to it , and it's totally doable. Good luck! :)