Legs, legs, legs!

caityjean
caityjean Posts: 40
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So today I finally braved up and went to the oh-so intimidating second story of my gym where all the strength training equipment is. Of course, I fell MADLY in love with these 3 machines. I don't know their technical names, but one was a standard leg press, one had you squeeze your legs together for your inner thigh, and the other had you press out for your outer thigh. Talk about feeling the burn!
However, I am slightly concerned about bulking up. I want to be toned and lean, not have muscles sticking out all over. Lol. So I did 3 sets of 12 reps on all these machines.
Is this an effective way to get lean? I honestly have no idea how muscles build, so I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks so much!

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Hip Abductor and Hip Adductor are those two machines :) You're not going to bulk up overnight, so I would just focus on switching up your leg exercises. I do 3x20 on the Abductor and 3x15 on the Adductor. Look into the Leg Extension and Leg Curl machines as well. The Butt Blaster will also help for your butt and the top back portion of your legs. Variety and increasing weights gradually will help you a tonne in the long run. Also look into squats and lunges (I just do them at home). But I wouldn't be concerned with bulking up too much at this stage of the game.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    But I wouldn't be concerned with bulking up too much at this stage of the game.

Or ever unless you have a lot of testosterone or are taking steroids. Women don't have the right hormones to bulk up naturally. And, I've heard (don't know if it's true) that you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    ya in order to really bulk up and build muscle you have to be taking in a lot of calories. all those muscles need fuel.
This discussion has been closed.