Struggling to lose any weight :(

Options
So I've been exercising every day averaging about 30 minutes per day. My calorie intake is 1200-1300. I haven't lost any weight at all:( I weigh 140 and I'd like to weigh 120. Am I doing something wrong here, or should I do something different? I have been very consistant and watched my calories and exercised every day for 16 days. I would have at least liked to have lost a pound or something. Feeling discouraged.

Replies

• BiohazrD
    Options
    What kind of exercise? What are you eating?
  • Krissattelberg
    Options
    Hi Alysin,
    I just saw your post! Great work on exercising daily and for 30 minutes each day as well. Ok, so your calorie intake is 1200-1300 and you weigh 140 pounds but would like to lose 20 pounds and weigh 120. Watching your calories and exercising daily for 16 straight days is a good start, but here are a couple of other things to consider -

How tall are you?
    How old are you?
    What TYPES of foods and calories are you taking in?

I would love to help you out with reaching your goals! Feel free to send me a friend request!

Krissattelberg
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Starting or ramping up an exercise program can cause you to hold on to some extra water weight for a good while because your body uses it to repair muscle. You might have lost some real pounds and replaced it with water. Check measurements and how your clothes fit.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Vanity pounds are hard to lose. Depending on height, you may not even be classified as overweight.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    you could be underestimating your consumed calories and/or overestimating your expended calories from exercise. either one can totally halt any weight loss.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Running &/or heavy weight lifting is what I've heard works for those last few pesky pounds to be loss. Good luck!
  • Alysin
    Alysin Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm doing different exercises: work out videos that are low impact to moderate aerobics, elliptical, toning exercises.

I'm eating more healthy and less fast food. I'm not going crazy healthy though. I need more water and fruits and veggies for sure.
  • BiohazrD
    Options
    You can also take a alpha-adrenoceptor antagonist and do some LISS
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    If you don't open your diary, we can't help you.
  • BiohazrD
    Options
    I'm doing different exercises: work out videos that are low impact to moderate aerobics, elliptical, toning exercises.

I'm eating more healthy and less fast food. I'm not going crazy healthy though. I need more water and fruits and veggies for sure.

There is no such thing as toning. Do high intensity running and eat more protein and less everything else.
  • Alysin
    Alysin Posts: 10
    Options

How tall are you?
    How old are you?
    I'm 33 and 5'5" I've always been 110-115, and over the last 6 months, I've put on about 20 pounds :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    common pitfalls that I learned along the way (the hard way):

1.) eyeballing servings...not counting condiments and such...sneaking a little bit here or there (I used to grab stuff off my kiddo's plate all of the time without even thinking) and not logging it can quickly add up to more calories than you think you're consuming.

2.) Overestimating and even underestimating calorie burns from exercise...logging activity that should be included in your daily activity like doing laundry, etc can cause people to consume more calories than they think they are or conversely cause them to not consume enough calories for the body to properly function.

3.) Eating at a deficit that is so big your body goes into metabolic stall and starts storing everything. This also happens when you have a significant deficit built into your diet and you exercise and don't eat any of those calories back as it makes an already significant deficit even bigger. Make sure you're netting to your BMR or somewhere relatively close to that.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Also you'r not trying to lose too much (I know 20 seems like a lot but it really isnt) and 2 weeks is not a long time so that weight will come off slower then someone heavier. Perhaps you have lost a little, like half a pound or so? If you have a dial stale its hard to tell small increments of weight loss vs a digital scale. Or you could be losing inches and toning more then losing weight. Sometimes I plateau for a few weeks and I notice my clothes are looser.

Just keep at it and you'll see a change soon. :smile:
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    The leaner you are the harder it is to lose weight. It takes much longer for me to take off a pound than it used to. I also have to pay much more attention to the macros.

16 days is not a long time! Do the right things and you will see slow and steady progress.

Perhaps focus on building some muscle to change your body composition
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options

How tall are you?
    How old are you?
    I'm 33 and 5'5" I've always been 110-115, and over the last 6 months, I've put on about 20 pounds :(

Have you started any meds or changed something in your life? That a drastic weight gain for such a short amount of time. Before going overboard with dieting and exercising I would suggest you go talk to your doctor for some tests. The last time I gained weight at such a rate I had started on some meds, and when I talked with my doctor about the weight gain from the meds we changed it.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started. I was not only eating 1200 calories but I was working out two hours a day and nothing was happening. Finally after a couple of weeks I lost a pound or two and then I have lost a maybe one half pound a week since. I
    would make sure that you are measuring your food proportions properly as that could cause you to not lose as fast. Don't get discouraged it will happen. I just kept telling myself that I hadn't gained weight so that was a good thing!
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You might need to shock your body. What I mean by that is with your exercising do a maximum effort day (like a Wednesday since it's in the middle of the week) and double your time at the gym or workout.

Also if you are doing the same exercises over and over again, your body begins to adapt and then your weight loss is just nilt. Do random things to your body, confuse it; keep it guessing. I would imagine your weight loss would start quickly.

With food wise are you eating hte same foods, same amounts? How about other alternatives of food. Instead of eating a fruit, double up on a veggie.

Another way to jump your weight loss is some strength training. I'm not talking about body builders or mr./ms. universe, just something with weights, small weight amounts but larger reps. With more muscle you have, you will start to burn more calories and your metabolism will take off.

If you are doing what I've already mentioned, awesome. If not, try that out; if it doesn't work, look at other options.

Best of Luck!!
  • Idothin
    Idothin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You've always been 110-15 except the last 6 months? And you suddenly gained 20lbs in 6 months? Do you think you've been eating enough to gain that fast? That is some rapid weight gain on someone not prone to being heavy. You may want to give the dr a call unless you've been eating really really bad.
  • BiohazrD
    Options
    Are you pregnant? Because otherwise...
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

How tall are you?
    How old are you?
    You don't need to answer all of the following, but consider...

What else changed in the past 6 months? Could you be pregnant? What time is it during your cycle? (Some women gain as much as 10 pounds each month and lose it again -- although at your weight, it wouldn't be that dramatic.) It doesn't sound like you're eating enough. Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? Have you been eating significantly below TDEE for longer than the 16 days? If none of this helps figure it out, you might want to check with a doctor about why your metabolism has suddenly shifted.

Check out the extracted information in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993, and there's some excellent advice at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

Good luck!