prescribed steroids for bronchitis

Options
So I have bronchitis and today the doc gave me a steroid shot and four days worth of oral steroids. Sooo...are these going to make me more hungry than usual? I'm already frustrated that I haven't been able to hit the gym since last Wed. due to my kids being sick and now me.
Thanks!

Replies

• niczun
    niczun Posts: 9
    Options
    bump...I'm hungry people!!! LOL... Is it a mental thing?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    If anything, they might reduce your appetite.
  • niczun
    Options
    ok, thanks. It's probably all in my mind!!

"Control your mind or it will control you"
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just got off of steroids...3 doses for a asthma flare up and they didn't make me hungry.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what they gave you, but Prednisone will definitely increase your appetite.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. When I have bronchitis I am usually coughing so hard that I can't eat though.
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i had to get a cortisone shot but didnt get particularly hungry, depends what you had.

if youve been cooped up in the house is it possible youre bored? this always sets me off! lol
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    depends on the steroid i am guessing, some i take gave me strange cravings. i just make sure i drink lots of water especially when taking them.
  • kimleroy
    kimleroy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been off and on oral steroids since June (more on than off as of recent) and I haven't seen a big difference in appetite. If anything, they can make you a little hyperactive which could offset any appetite increase. This is why I'm always told to take mine at morning, not at night because otherwise they can keep you up at night. As always though, every person responds a little bit differently so your experience might be different than mine.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Why would they?
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Most probably the corticosteroid given will increase appetite slightly.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    YES, when I was on Prednisone for bronchitis last winter I was starving so I just filled up on healthy foods but I will warn you, they make you retain water like crazy so that weeks weigh in was frightening but once I was off them a week or so the water weight left. Made me very ragey and hyper, had trouble sleeping and some days wanted to kill everyone in sight. I worked out while I was on them (don't tell the doctor) and I noticed my heart rate when very high while just walking (so they seem to raise your heart rate as well). I had a very clean house that week because they caused me to have a ton of energy. Hope you feel better soon
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    make sure you have plenty of healthy snacks available so if they do make you hungery you don"t go for the crap :)
  • barbi1281
    Options
    It depends. I have asthma and when I had a bad flare up I was on a high dose of prednisone and I was like a teenage linebacker when it came to food! I out ate my husband (he's 5'11 and 250) and my two daughters (one's a preteen/gymnast) put together. It's only temporary though... when the steroids are over, the eating will be too :tongue:
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Steroids are for asthma, not bronchitis. Not even asthmatic bronchitis.
    And yes Prednisone will absolutely make you hungry.
    Severe hunger is a well known side effect.
    Take Prednisone for too long and it will change your metabolism. You will gain weight easily and find it extremely difficult to lose.

If you are only taking the pills for a few days, you should be OK re the metabolism bit.
    (Doc really should have given you inhaled steroids - they don't make one hungry.)

I've been asthmatic for 35 years and have been through the MILL with doctors who don't know **** about how to treat it.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What she said!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Take Prednisone for too long and it will change your metabolism. You will gain weight easily and find it extremely difficult to lose.

If you are only taking the pills for a few days, you should be OK re the metabolism bit.
    (Doc really should have given you inhaled steroids - they don't make one hungry.)

I've been asthmatic for 35 years and have been through the MILL with doctors who don't know **** about how to treat it.

? I thought corticosteroids were used to reduce inflammation and swelling
  • jamerz1482
    jamerz1482 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different when it comes to how they react to medication. Some get more hungry some lose their appetite when on steriods. You may even seem to gain weight on the steriod even if you don't eat more than you usually do. They are a great mediacation and since you are currently sick. I would worry more about getting healthy then if the medication will make you more hungry. Bronchitis can turn into pneumonia if not treated correctly. So get well then get back on the wagon.
  • jamerz1482
    jamerz1482 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Like one of the other members said steroids are for inflammation and swelling, which can come along with bronchitis as well as asthma, but they aren't only used for asthma.
  • niczun
    Options
    Thans guys. Lots of perspective here. Yes, it is prednisone I was prescribed, but only for four days. I don't think I'll weigh myself those days. Some of my co-workers had warned me about the appetite thing and I was thinking, "darn, I wish they hadn't told me that". But they also said I might have trouble sleeping. Hopefully my cough meds will help me sleep.

Ok, had 300 cals left, cracked open a pom and feel great now. (as far as hunger) I TRUELY think bordem is part to blame. The kids have been sick since last Thursday, so they are not doing their after-school stuff and I haven't been going to the gym, which is part of my nightly routine.

This message board is helping though!!

Thanks guys!! (AND gals!)