Help! I have a ton of calories leftover!!

Just a question. I haven't eaten dinner the last two nights. Now I know I shouldn't skip meals, but I'm just not that hungry. And believe me that NEVER happens. Is it so bad that at the end of the day I'm still left with roughly 1800 calories to eat? I don't want my body to think I'm starving it. And the only reason I have so many calories leftover is because I'm working out and burning like 800 a day. Any thoughts?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    When this happens to make, I go to town on a peanut butter jar. You can also have a bunch of nuts or even drink some of your calories (I prefer a good protein shake).
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Go to burger king and get a cinnabon. Seriously, does that NOT sound amazing? Lol. It's 880 calories so eat two of them.

I wouldn't worry about exercise calories. The estimations on MFP are AT LEAST twice what you're actually burning.
  • Ignore the workout extra calories. If you're trying to lose weight and give yourself extra calories because you worked out then you will probably not lose weight, or at least not very fast.

Also, you're probably not burning 800 a day. That's insane.
  • Eat out a giraffe
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Get some ice cream and pizza and enjoy those extra calories. It will be better for your health long term. Srsly. I wish I were you tonight. :P
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Don't worry about it. Your body will tell you when you're hungry. That must mean you are eating very nutrient dense foods.

Calorie counting is a good tracking method, but listening to your body is sometimes better in this situation.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Ignore the workout extra calories. If you're trying to lose weight and give yourself extra calories because you worked out then you will probably not lose weight, or at least not very fast.

Also, you're probably not burning 800 a day. That's insane.

^^^^ Don't listen to this.

EAT. Don't ignore your workout calories. This guy obviously doesn't understand how MFP's system works. Even if you don't exercise, you are still in a deficit and will lose weight. When you exercise you further increase that deficit, which can potentially be harmful in the long run and make it more difficult when it is time to start eating at maintenance.

Also, It is very possible for someone to burn 800 calories a day.
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Hey Ange, as a rule i dont eat my exercise calories while im trying to lose still. once a week max and not all of them.Skipping dinner also isnt that cool but we all do it occasionally for different reasons, too tired, just exercised,too busy etc. try my trick of deciding in the morning what you are going to eat that day ..then you can space out your food and stay on track. Your doing great...keep it up!!!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Is this based on TDEE or BMR?
  • christylindquist
    christylindquist Posts: 32 Member
    If I'm not hungry at night I eat peanut butter or have some shakeology.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Wow, edited to say that I can't believe someone that's been on here almost a year doubts an 800 calorie burn and doesn't get the MFP system...

MFP has you set at a deficit unless you tinker with it. I'm going to guess you have it set to "LOSE 2 LBS A WEEK," because everyone likes to lose fast... so this would set you at 1200 calories. You will probably need to up this if you're working out this hard.

Goal? At LEAST net 1200 at the end of the day.

If you find you might not be able to eat this amount after exercise, try scaling back exercise. Yes, really; if you're not able to fuel your body properly, exercising more is only going to hurt you in the long run.
  • Don't worry about it. Your body will tell you when you're hungry. That must mean you are eating very nutrient dense foods.

Calorie counting is a good tracking method, but listening to your body is sometimes better in this situation.

Better for what? It's not better for weight loss or health, only for personal comfort.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Don't worry about it. Your body will tell you when you're hungry. That must mean you are eating very nutrient dense foods.

Better for what? It's not better for weight loss or health, only for personal comfort.

Occasionally I am 500 to even 1000 calories below on days. I still get my 100+ g of protein and feel great. Then there are days where I am slightly over. doing a strict daily calorie budget and always hitting target can trick your body into starvation mode eventually.

Remember this calorie tracking is not perfect. It's not like we went to get testing of what our real daily recommended calorie intake is. It's a very rough estimate.