HELP! I love Carbs!!

Options
I am trying to cut down on the carbs I eat.. I love bread, pasta and rice! Anyone have any ideas what to replace my favorite carbs with?? I can't live off of just veggies, eggs, fish, meat and nuts!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to cut down on carbs? Are you going over your recommended daily intake?
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I am a self diagnosed CARB JUNKY too. I was constantly going above and beyond the 40% daily target. I have narrowed in on what seems to be working perfectly for me and I would love to share!

I found out that its not necessarily carbs...but sugary, processed type carbs that I was addicted to and caused carb binges essentially. It took about 3 days to get rid of the wicked cravings after clearing the "junk" out and I am no longer tormented by carbs. I also try to divide my carbs out between my 4-6 meals so i'm not overloading at any one meal and causing a snowball effect which essentially just means the reccomended portion for any pastas, rices ect..

Doing these 2 things naturally lowered my total carb intake for the day , increased my protein and have actually broken a weight loss plataue recently.

It worked for me, wishing you the best of luck :)
  • CassieLOL
    CassieLOL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The best thing is gradual changes! I cannot express that enough. I am a GIANT carb lover but to this day I have managed to cut out bread and pasta. (: The first step, is changing from white to brown. That is going from plain white bread to whole wheat. After that, slowly cut down your portions and replace it with protein. There's many substitutes out there for "carb" foods too - like instead of pasta buy some tofu shirataki noodles. It's a total of 80 for a whole package and it's VERY filling. (: Just remember, don't cut it out all at once, because most likely will end up bingeing.
  • jodik11
    jodik11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yes, I am going over my daily goal. I just got back into the swing of MFP after a long break.. Eating way too many carbs daily!! I still want to eat carbs but just find other things to eat too I know I need to portion and it's a work in progress.
  • cwalker1959
    cwalker1959 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so with you!!!! I love carbs and always have! I really like the idea of alternating higher carb days and higher protein days. That way I can enjoy a high carb day without guilt!
  • losingmybehind
    losingmybehind Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    yes, I am going over my daily goal. I just got back into the swing of MFP after a long break.. Eating way too many carbs daily!! I still want to eat carbs but just find other things to eat too I know I need to portion and it's a work in progress.
    You could try Chris Powell's program called Choose to Lose. Basically you cycle between low carb days (similar to what you described) and hi carb days. The theory is that you are boosting metabolism on the hi carb days and burning fat on the low carb days. I've found it pretty simple to follow, just began at the first of the year and am down 6#. There is also one day a week where you can eat things that are not allowed on the other days, kind of a freebie. :)
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with carbs?
  • feliciajonesmejia
    Options
    I agree you must start small or you will just binge! I slowly changed over to whole grain and whole wheat pastas by adding half to regular pasta and then 3/4 and then we were eating full whole grain/wheat. Same with brown rice. My kids dont even notice the difference now. We all love it! I recommend when you do have carbs to have complex multigrain carbs. Dont waste carbs on the processed sugar carbs. These only lead to more bingeing. Try to stay away from all the white foods: white rice, white bread, white potatoes, white flour etc. Does nothing good for our bodies!