If am sore from working out should I rest the next day

Options
2»

Replies

• efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Your muscles should adapt and you will eventually not get sore at all until you use your muscles in a different way.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm sending A PM of nutrition timing as well :)
  • Vercell
    Options
    Great information thanks again.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    When I start something new if I'm totally sore I wait until I'm healed up before I do it again. Usually by the next time the soreness is reduced and each time it get easier and easier to go the workout. I don't believe in pushing your muscles also from what I read and understood switching things up is always good. Some days I run/ job other I walk, some times I do resistance band, sometime a workout DVD and some days I take off, and so far I have seen some pretty good results.
  • ixa73
    ixa73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi

You can reduce the incidence of muscle soreness (which is essentially bleeding in the muscle) by following the 10 suggestions in the link below. Ice is especially useful as it restricts the bleeding, but not always practical (who has big bags of ice lying around at home). After a big run I sometimes hose my legs down with the garden hose (not in winter obviously). Yesterday I sat in a cold bath with an ice brick and rubbed it over my legs for 15 minutes after a big hill ride. Protein and carbs after a big work out is important (preferably within 1/2 hr) Bananas are good or a chocolate milkshake with light milk - I use almond milk as I don't like milk very much - maybe blend an egg in if you can handle raw eggs. Much cheaper than expensive protein powders and works. I only have 1 rest day a week but don't have same intensity workouts everyday either. Typical week: mon - interval training (either running or swimming); Tue Mountain bike interval session; Wed: medium paced run; Thurs Swim distance; Fri day off; Sat long run; Sun long road ride. The thing that hits me the hardest though is lack of sleep it does nothing for muscle recovery -or my mood for that matter :).

Good luck

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/After-Exercise.htm
  • rhondac46
    rhondac46 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What workout program are you doing?
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I think taking one day off is good and I find drinking a lot of water helps. Do some light yoga the next day to stretch out the muscles. That always helps. And Advil always works.
  • Vercell
    Options
    What workout program are you doing?
  • Vercell
    Options
    You can add me my diary is open i have a whole list of things i do.i do something new almost everyday . anything from streghth traning circuit training,all kinds of cardio and videos.
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    soreness is normal and expected. as long as its not intense pain or soreness, I wouldnt worry about having to neccessarily rest the next day bc of a little soreness, I never do. As far as going even harder.. Depending on how sore your muscles are I would maybe do a little less intense of a workout the next day and do some "lighter" work and give those muscles time to repair, You def dont want to make it worse or overwork yourself. If im sore, I usually will still workout but maybe go a little less intense the following day. one or two moderate workout days a week are a good thing as well to give your body a little break