Does toned mean bigger?

Options
I have a quick question and its probably silly but I was looking over my elliptical manual and it said that anything over a 20 degree ramp would tone your calves. My calf muscles are already toned (possibly the only thing on my body toned right now) so I dont want to do it over 20 if it means they are just going to get bigger. I have been working out with it on a ramp of 15 degrees and the resistance at its max of 15 and am starting to not have that burning sensation when I do it. So what do you suggest?

Replies

• Koorii
    Koorii Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Toned doesn't necessarily mean bigger. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from "newbie gains", you'll only see muscle growth if you are eating at a caloric surplus (over your TDEE). That's what I'm told anyway. So if you're cutting back your calories to lose weight, you shouldn't be gaining any muscle.
  • dawnreid2012
    dawnreid2012 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Toned doesn't necessarily mean bigger. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from "newbie gains", you'll only see muscle growth if you are eating at a caloric surplus (over your TDEE). That's what I'm told anyway. So if you're cutting back your calories to lose weight, you shouldn't be gaining any muscle.

Ok. So another silly question.. Im new at this whole weightloss thing and have only been doing it for a month now but what is a TDEE?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Toning really doesn't exist. There is making muscles larger or smaller, and there is increasing or decreasing the amount of fat covering them up. Most people's idea of "toned" is some combo of increasing size and decreasing fat covering them up.

TDEE stands for total daily energy expendeture which is the total amount of calories you burn in a day.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Toning really doesn't exist. There is making muscles larger or smaller, and there is increasing or decreasing the amount of fat covering them up. Most people's idea of "toned" is some combo of increasing size and decreasing fat covering them up.

TDEE stands for total daily energy expendeture which is the total amount of calories you burn in a day.

I disagree about "toning". It's in the vernacular, and everybody knows what it means. I agree that it's a bit of a silly term, but that does not entirely invalidate it as a word.
  • dawnreid2012
    Options
    Ok Thanks for that info.. I felt a little lost because I didnt know what it meant :embarassed:
  • FullOfWin
    Options

I disagree about "toning". It's in the vernacular, and everybody knows what it means. I agree that it's a bit of a silly term, but that does not entirely invalidate it as a word.

So give the definition of toning. What is toning a muscle?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

That's where you are mistaken. Yes it is a common term, but very few people actually understand what it means, and therein lies the problem.

You would be surprised how many people actually think toning is a separate process, distinct from muscle development and fat loss. If you don't understand what causes change in body composition how are you ever going to be successful at it??

Just think of all those people out there with pink dumbbells and ankle weights that think they are toning, because heavy weights will make them bulky! It is a community service we perform in our attempt to rid the world of this useless term!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

It originally derives from tonus - which is something to do with the degree of nerve activation in the tissue creating a partial contraction. And on the other hand the degree of resistance the muscle provides due to this activation. It has now become a catch-all term to mean muscle with some (lower) percentage of fat surrounding it.

The fact is that no one really knows what it means. It has become the very epitome of "passing the word along" in the fact that everyone uses it as common currency without having any clear idea what it means.... it's like when the mechanic tells you he had to repair the alternator when you pick the car up from the garage. Then your wife asks you what was wrong with the car and you say "the alternator was faulty". Now is anyone in the situation any clearer what was wrong with the car really? If you have a working knowledge of the alternator's place in the electrical system of the car and what is required to fix it when it goes wrong, then you understood what you meant when you said it. If not, you were just passing the word along. You'll find a high proportion of most conversations you hear or are part of in daily life consist of this kind of thing.
  • dawnreid2012
    Options

That's where you are mistaken. Yes it is a common term, but very few people actually understand what it means, and therein lies the problem.

You would be surprised how many people actually think toning is a separate process, distinct from muscle development and fat loss. If you don't understand what causes change in body composition how are you ever going to be successful at it??

Just think of all those people out there with pink dumbbells and ankle weights that think they are toning, because heavy weights will make them bulky! It is a community service we perform in our attempt to rid the world of this useless term!

So I can lift heavier weights and not bulk up? My husband bought me the tiny 3 pound ones because he doesnt want me to bulk up. Which I dont want to look like a body builder or anything but if I can lift more than the 3 pound ones 300 times I would like to.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options

T
    In the vernacular it can mean different things to different people. That's because it has no definition. That's because it doesn't exist. OP needs to turn loose of the concept, and think in terms of stronger/weaker, fatter/leaner.
  • dawnreid2012
    Options

It originally derives from tonus - which is something to do with the degree of nerve activation in the tissue creating a partial contraction. And on the other hand the degree of resistance the muscle provides due to this activation. It has now become a catch-all term to mean muscle with some (lower) percentage of fat surrounding it.

The fact is that no one really knows what it means. It has become the very epitome of "passing the word along" in the fact that everyone uses it as common currency without having any clear idea what it means.... it's like when the mechanic tells you he had to repair the alternator when you pick the car up from the garage. Then your wife asks you what was wrong with the car and you say "the alternator was faulty". Now is anyone in the situation any clearer what was wrong with the car really? If you have a working knowledge of the alternator's place in the electrical system of the car and what is required to fix it when it goes wrong, then you understood what you meant when you said it. If not, you were just passing the word along. You'll find a high proportion of most conversations you hear or are part of in daily life consist of this kind of thing.

Great way of thinking.. Would have never thought of it that way.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    So I can lift heavier weights and not bulk up? My husband bought me the tiny 3 pound ones because he doesnt want me to bulk up. Which I dont want to look like a body builder or anything but if I can lift more than the 3 pound ones 300 times I would like to.

Oh yes! And please do!!!

There are a number of strong, beautiful women on this site who lift heavy weights and are not 'muscly' to look at at all! Many of them are on my friend list so I'll give them a nudge to visit your thread and show you first hand what lifting has done to their bodies!
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    No one ever got bulky on a calorie deficit. No one every got bulky overnight. Pretty much no woman ever got bulky without steroids\prohormones\hormones. Women have around 1\10-1\5 of the LOWEST amount of testosterone that can be considered "normal range" for a man.

So, no, you won't get bulky from heavy weight lifting
  • dawnreid2012
    Options

T
    In the vernacular it can mean different things to different people. That's because it has no definition. That's because it doesn't exist. OP needs to turn loose of the concept, and think in terms of stronger/weaker, fatter/leaner.

I agree with you on the needing to think stronger/weaker fatter/leaner. I guess in my mind I was thinking that my calves would look like I have been a body builder fo 10 years if I went over 20 degree ramp. I just want to be leaner and stronger instead of plump and jiggly lol
  • FullOfWin
    Options

T

I agree with you on the needing to think stronger/weaker fatter/leaner. I guess in my mind I was thinking that my calves would look like I have been a body builder fo 10 years if I went over 20 degree ramp. I just want to be leaner and stronger instead of plump and jiggly lol

Do resistance training and eat at a calorie deficit. Cardio optional.
  • dawnreid2012
    Options

Oh yes! And please do!!!

There are a number of strong, beautiful women on this site who lift heavy weights and are not 'muscly' to look at at all! Many of them are on my friend list so I'll give them a nudge to visit your thread and show you first hand what lifting has done to their bodies!

That would be great thanks!! And Ill just sneak and use his weights when he is at work because I dont want to hear about me "bulking up" lol
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    No one ever got bulky on a calorie deficit. No one every got bulky overnight. Pretty much no woman ever got bulky without steroids\prohormones\hormones. Women have around 1\10-1\5 of the LOWEST amount of testosterone that can be considered "normal range" for a man.

^This, I lift heavy and have only lost inches everywhere. I have not bulked up and I started out thinking I was one of those girls that "built muscle easily". Yea, it's not that easy to build muscle. Men have a hard enough time doing it and they have way more testosterone than any woman, unless they are taking it for some reason. You will be fine, look fantastic, and feel sexy by lifting heavy!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes!!you get so huge!!

in fact i've become so huge over the past 12 months that i had to increase my jeans size from a size 22 where if i'll be honest fit me like sausage casing to a larger size 14 that fit me comfortably ...

i'm hoping that i dont become so huge that i'll have to resort to size 6 jeans

:wink:

seriously though my butt looks bigger but it's just higher and rounder and although you cant quite bounce a nickel off if it, in a few months that should be possible :smokin:

ETA: the bulky thing is mainly a matter of perception. i've seen people (lots of people) describe madonna as bulky even though she's like a size -6 or something. that sense of bulky is about having low body fat and that isn't something that happens to you on accident so there's no need to worry about it
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Further to the problem of the word "toning" is that it is generally thought of a singular goal. "He/she looks toned. How do I get there in a linear fashion?" You can't. In reality, getting "toned" is two separate things, building muscle and losing fat. Each requires a very different diet plan. Thankfully the training portion can be identical for both fat loss and muscle building. Some will argue that you can both gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. While this is true it's not the most efficient way to do it.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

^This, I lift heavy and have only lost inches everywhere. I have not bulked up and I started out thinking I was one of those girls that "built muscle easily". Yea, it's not that easy to build muscle. Men have a hard enough time doing it and they have way more testosterone than any woman, unless they are taking it for some reason. You will be fine, look fantastic, and feel sexy by lifting heavy!!!

Good example.

I was lifting heavy (Stronglifts program for the last month of that time) for a solid 6 months pre-baby, and my body went from a squishy flabby size 16/18 to a much leaner and firmer size 12. Not only that, but I felt amazing too. I felt strong, sexy, and much more confident.

I WILL be going back to a solid compound lifting program post-baby as soon as my body heals.

Don't fear the weight.

That being said, DO learn how to do it right and be patient with yourself. It takes a long time to get your form right as a beginner, and it can be very frustrating.