Anyone have an 'extra' calorie budget like Weight Watchers?

Options
Hi there. I am getting sick of paying for WW online, but I really like their idea of extra 'points'. I am so sick of the point concept so I am ready to do calories. I feel like I have counted points for my entire life, so counting calories seems foreign to me (odd I know).

Anyway...thoughts on having extra calories, or is it best to be consistent?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Some people do cheat meals/days which would kind of be like the extras in WW. It can be good as it will sort of shock your system and keep it guessing as long as you don't go overboard.

With MFP you gain more calories with exercise... I know some friends who eat their daily goal each day not including exercise calories and than one day a week use all their exercise calories. Some use them daily. Find what works best for you.

Main difference (I am an ex WW member) between this program and WW is that with this program you count everything... with WW you don't have to count fruits and veggies.

I personally like this program better than WW.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I kind of have an extra calorie budget because I don't think it's reasonable for me to expect to have the exact same hunger level every single day. One thing I did was to set my calorie deficit at a very reasonable level - for me I set it at 1 lb per week. Some days I don't meet this goal, and as long as I'm within 500 calories of my goal (2200+), I don't worry about being under. This allows me the leeway to have the "extra" calorie budget when I need it. I also count my exercise calories so have even more available most days, but I don't always eat them. I believe that for me to be successful at longterm weight management I'm going to have to learn how to eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm not and trying to meet a strict calorie goal every single day seems counterintuitive.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This is the reason why I wasn't successful at making the switch from WW to MFP. The only reason why I wanted to do so was to save the $18 a month I pay for my online subscription.

I like the weekly points too much. It's also easier to count points instead of calories, and I like not have to log the fruit and zero point veggies.
  • JudithEssex
    JudithEssex Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Also a former WW. I like this better - not only free but somehow more honest. Right now I strive to keep within Kcals. I am not able to do meaningful exercise...knee & foot problems; that will pass. I will try "saving" my exercise for a splurge - as soon as I can exercise.
  • SamiAng
    SamiAng Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea of 'saving' exercise calories and having a splurge day. I have a FitBit so it links directly to Myfitnesspal (totally awesome). Thanks all!