Post Workout thoughts on carbs?

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    You'll hear plenty of different opinions on this, but I believe Carbs are very important. Serious strength training is best followed by a good post workout meal which includes Carbs to replenish glycogen.

Why? Do you believe you deplete glycogen in a single strength training session? According to Alan Aragon, nutritional timing within a 24 hour window is immaterial.
    "Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you’re an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day."

As someone else stated, unless you have a second workout planned within a couple of hours, meal timing and frequency should be primarily driven by personal preference based on overall performance and well being. So basically, if you eat a balanced diet during the course of the day, there is no need for any "post workout meal" with any special macronutrient compostiion other than that which would hit your overall targets for the day. The nutritional timing myth dies hard.

why is Aragon some god to you 24-hour window-aholics?

OP, after a workout your insulin levels are low, thus why you feel nauseous, spent, exhausted, etc, etc. A quick shot of simple carbs can help your insulin level rebound to normal levels and get you feeling better faster. Carbs post workout = very useful
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    you will go insane if you listen to all the different advice. I just listen to my body. I eat something before a workout if I feel i need the fuel. I often eat a balanced meal right after because I often feel like I need it the energy and i'm hungry.

Yeah I would go with this.

Obviously if you are a major body builder or competing or something then there will be answers that are geared towards that. But I'd say if your body is telling you carbs then get some carbs in you :)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Myself I run at lunch time I eat 2 servings of steel cut oats and 1 serving 2 percent fage yogurt and lately a apple about 1 hour before (I am hungry at this time) I go running 8 miles then I eat again about 2 hours later becouse I am hungry. This seems to work great for me. I dont pay too much attention the all the ratio ect ect ect. I try to eat a balanced diet and I dont get hungry. I pay attention to my body. Every thing else seems to fall into place.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Question - I saw someone indicated a mix of carbs and protein prior to working out. Does it matter which one you do? I'm going today for my 2nd weight training session so I'm pretty new to this...I'd brought some peanut butter to work to have something toward the end of the day with a few carrots pre-workout but now I'm wondering whether a mix is better. I eat lunch really early (10:30 a.m. due to work) so I think it's a good idea to do a small snack. Basically, is the peanut butter and a few carrots ok or should I do something a little different next time?

Monica
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Question - I saw someone indicated a mix of carbs and protein prior to working out. Does it matter which one you do? I'm going today for my 2nd weight training session so I'm pretty new to this...I'd brought some peanut butter to work to have something toward the end of the day with a few carrots pre-workout but now I'm wondering whether a mix is better. I eat lunch really early (10:30 a.m. due to work) so I think it's a good idea to do a small snack. Basically, is the peanut butter and a few carrots ok or should I do something a little different next time?

Monica

Your plan is not inherently good or bad. Peanut butter is primarily fat with slight protien and carbs and carrots are complex carbs. The question is will you hit a target of 1 grams per lb of lean body mass as is recommeded for those engaged in strength training by the end of the day? If so, it doesn't matter.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    You'll hear plenty of different opinions on this, but I believe Carbs are very important. Serious strength training is best followed by a good post workout meal which includes Carbs to replenish glycogen.

Why? Do you believe you deplete glycogen in a single strength training session? According to Alan Aragon, nutritional timing within a 24 hour window is immaterial.
    "Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you’re an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day."

As someone else stated, unless you have a second workout planned within a couple of hours, meal timing and frequency should be primarily driven by personal preference based on overall performance and well being. So basically, if you eat a balanced diet during the course of the day, there is no need for any "post workout meal" with any special macronutrient compostiion other than that which would hit your overall targets for the day. The nutritional timing myth dies hard.

OP, after a workout your insulin levels are low, thus why you feel nauseous, spent, exhausted, etc, etc. A quick shot of simple carbs can help your insulin level rebound to normal levels and get you feeling better faster. Carbs post workout = very useful

Alan Aragon's creditials speak for themselves. Maybe you should educate yourself before you speak. Or do you prefer to speak from the broscience you use in most of the threads in which you post? Your credentials? Alan Aragon's? The choice is clear.

There is a lot of faulty assumption in your post. Why would insulin levels have anything to do with it? Insulin is a shuttle hormone for nutrients. Not a nutrient itself. Additionally, this would not be the case unless the person was engaging in fasted training. All trainees do not feel nauseous, spent, exausted after a workout. Even one of high intensity. If they do, then their perference and how they feel drives their nutritional timing. There are many ways to manage nutrition so this is not the case. What do you think is happening with the food they've consumed over the last 24 hours? It magically disappeared? Did muscle glycogen levels drop to zero overnight? Also, how do you account for protein also being insuligenic?

So, as I said, it is driven by personal preference and training. Most people are intelligent enough to find out what makes them feel best and gives them the best gym performance without some unessesary set of rules to follow. Maybe you should try it and them you might be able to claim "elite" results for real.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member

Alan Aragon's creditials speak for themselves. Maybe you should educate yourself before you speak. Or do you prefer to speak from the broscience you use in most of the threads in which you post? Your credentials? Alan Aragon's? The choice is clear.

There is a lot of faulty assumption in your post. Why would insulin levels have anything to do with it? Insulin is a shuttle hormone for nutrients. Not a nutrient itself. Additionally, this would not be the case unless the person was engaging in fasted training. All trainees do not feel nauseous, spent, exausted after a workout. Even one of high intensity. If they do, then their perference and how they feel drives their nutritional timing. There are many ways to manage nutrition so this is not the case. What do you think is happening with the food they've consumed over the last 24 hours? It magically disappeared? Did muscle glycogen levels drop to zero overnight? Also, how do you account for protein also being insuligenic?

So, as I said, it is driven by personal preference and training. Most people are intelligent enough to find out what makes them feel best and gives them the best gym performance without some unessesary set of rules to follow. Maybe you should try it and them you might be able to claim "elite" results for real.

This sir, is why you're awesome.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    sometimes i need a carb after my workout, like a banana or chocolate soy drink because i feel dizzy or faint after im done. it helps right away.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

Not sure c.reddy gets it...

air-horn-behind-pigeon-15140-400x250.jpg
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    My timing around workouts depend on when I'm training.

If I train in the AM, I'll take a shake with me on the train ride to work and have it before the gym, it's more convenient that way and I've found it makes me feel better during.

If I train at lunch, I'll usually fast until after my workout and break my fast with a PWO shake. Eating this way means I don't have to eat anything until dinner and can have a massive one, which makes me happy. I also find the PWO shake to be extremely beneficial since that would be the first I've eaten in 16 - 18 hours.

Both of those are personal preference though, worked out by trial and error to see what I like best. It's important that you understand the science behind it (i.e. as long as you're getting adequate nutrition overall it doesn't matter), but the beauty of it is that it shows there's not one way you HAVE to do things. You can customize it to suit your needs and preferences.

Try a couple of different styles, and stick with the one that makes you feel best.

As a side note, when you get really lean (like you're trying to get the last few pounds off to do a professional bodybuilding competition lean) the micro-mechanics of the whole thing could very well play a larger role. Until then any very tiny boost in efficiency you might see will be vastly outweighed by adherence, making going with something you like almost universally the better option. By the time you do get to that point, you should know your body well enough that you know what to do on your own.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Glycogenz....they...are....depleted.
    276ae616-bd03-40fc-9af4-168c92d9a241.jpg

Seriously it doesnt matter for most of us that do a normal workout. Eat if you want to, before or after. It more important to make sure you hit your calorie and macro goals for the day and not so much when you take them.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Eating is not complicated. Heck, even the cavemen could do it. I dont share same dietary needs as a young woman or the hypoglycemic; so why could anyone expect us to eat the same way? Fueling the body must be tailored to the individual.

One of the most important things that should be mentioned here is hydration, pre & post workout...... Need to help the kidneys clean up all the shredded tissue! :)

Personally I have to be careful with pre workout meals or I get sick. I generally snack while running, even short distances. Raisins, 'naners, Fig Newtons, Gu, etc. Makes a noticeable difference with me. Not so much for my buddy.

Post workout Im generally not real hungry until 2-3 hours afterwards. My preference includes a snack of carbs and protein; carbs for the "pick me up" and protein for satiety and a few amino acids. I agree with the following quotes from previous posters....keep it simple and listen to your body.
    Myself I run at lunch time I eat 2 servings of steel cut oats and 1 serving 2 percent fage yogurt and lately a apple about 1 hour before (I am hungry at this time) I go running 8 miles then I eat again about 2 hours later becouse I am hungry. This seems to work great for me. I dont pay too much attention the all the ratio ect ect ect. I try to eat a balanced diet and I dont get hungry. I pay attention to my body. Every thing else seems to fall into place.
    So, as I said, it is driven by personal preference and training. Most people are intelligent enough to find out what makes them feel best and gives them the best gym performance without some unessesary set of rules to follow.

If you want a few ideas and thoughts on eating, keep it general as per the Mayo Clinic until you find your own preferences .....http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ00594_D

BTW Tune out the jaw flapping "experts"
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member

Why would insulin levels have anything to do with it? Insulin is a shuttle hormone for nutrients.

All trainees do not feel nauseous, spent, exausted after a workout. Even one of high intensity. If they do, then their perference and how they feel drives their nutritional timing.

So, as I said, it is driven by personal preference and training. Most people are intelligent enough to find out what makes them feel best and gives them the best gym performance without some unessesary set of rules to follow.

1) Insulin is a shuttle for nutrients. don't you think, then, if you were to introduce a concoction of simple carbs and quick-absorbing protein into your body post workout, that by spiking the insulin (a nutrient shuttle) you would be suttling said proteins to the muscles that are looking for it? I'm just curious why that isn't correct.

2) Agree that it's personal preference. Give me a post of mine where I didn't say that at the end of the day, all of this is personal preference.

The OP said she feels spent after a workout and that her body feels like it needs a carb recovery boost... so... then... seems like her personal preference would be to have a recovery drink of some kind OR a 3-5:1 simple carb/protein recovery meal.

right?
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member

Well, I've done some reading of my own, and no not muscle magazines real textbooks and books about this stuff, and what I got from all of that is Carbs post workout is a good idea because you've used some of the glycogen. I have also put this into practice when I train and it works great for me. Also there are many times I train on an empty stomach in the morning, so surely it wouldn't hurt to give your body what it wants. As I said this was my opinion so to answer your question, no I don't think you bankrupt your supply of glycogen but if the workout I'd intense enough then you definitely put a dent in it and what better way to replace it than with some carbs?
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Personally. I just buy the cheap 1 gallon store brand chocolate milk. Pour 2 cups and add 1 scoop of chocolate flavored whey powder to bump up the protein some.

Seems to work pretty good factoring that I can leave in my car and its plenty cold outside.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Glass of milk.

Banana.

End.
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Intense training can be a resistance training program for say 45 mins to an hour, taking 1-2 mins of rest between sets. It could also be say a long 30-60 min or longer run on the treadmill or outside. It could be a combination of the 2. Perhaps a zumba class where you are constantly moving and sweating and getting the heart rate up. Pretty much if you feel like you got a pretty good workout, loading up on carbs and protein immediately afterwards could prove beneficial. The carbs also help to return your blood sugar levels to a normal range which varies depending on the time of day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    1) Insulin is a shuttle for nutrients. don't you think, then, if you were to introduce a concoction of simple carbs and quick-absorbing protein into your body post workout, that by spiking the insulin (a nutrient shuttle) you would be suttling said proteins to the muscles that are looking for it? I'm just curious why that isn't correct.

Good thing protein isn't insulinogenic at all
  • joel3736
    One good book that talks about this in great detail is a book called Nutrient Timing. It completely advocates taking both protein and simple carbs within 30-45 mins of finishing your workout as this is when your muscles reap the most benefits since they are most insulin sensitive around this time and receive up to 100% of the carbs to store as glycogen. 2 hours later that number goes down to something like 40%. So as you can see that 30-45 min window is very important. I also have put this into practice over the years and it definitely works. Also many scientific experiments have corroborated this as well.
  • joel3736
    Also the carbs shuttle the amino acids to the muscles at a much quicker rate, as long as you don't add much fat to your post workout meal, as that will slow down this process.