Dr. Seuss Themed Baby Shower HELP

Options
AnneElise
AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
Hi all!

I have decided to put on a Dr. Seuss themed baby shower for my sister! I have some fun ideas but I am looking for anyone who is more creative than the rest! OR if anyone has done this before and have any ideas.

Here is what I have so far...

1) I am having everyone bring a book instead of a card to encourage the "reading" theme
2) There is going to be a dr. seuss themed cake
3) I am going to hang a rope with close pins that hold a dr. seuss onsy and other decorations
4) I have found some Dr. seuss wall decals
5) I am going to have sweetish fish out
6) using bright colors
7) put dr. seuss books all around....

any other ideas?

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    If you go to a party store, or check ebay they may have some themed decorations, baking pans, etc. for you to get. You might even have some luck at a teacher store.

For centerpieces you could get pots and paint them red and white horizontal stripes (like the cat in the hat's hat) and then put flowers in them :flowerforyou:
  • AnneElise
    Options
    aww i really like that flower pot idea!

I did find some great decorations on ebay!
  • AnneElise
    Options
    aww i really like that flower pot idea!

I did find some great decorations on ebay!
  • krisolso
    krisolso Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How about green deviled eggs with bits of ham on top? Maybe do something with Elephants from Horton Hears a Who?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Did a really quick Google search, and found this site that may help at least generate some ideas:
    http://entertaining.about.com/cs/kidsparties/a/drseussparty.htm

Try doing a Google image search- there are pictures of tons of Dr. Seuss parties that may help, too!
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    do a google search for "Dr. seuss party supplies" or different variations of it and you'll find a ton of stuff! i had a seuss themed shower, and we just did my son's 1st bday with a seuss theme---we got a cake made with a lorax which was awesome! for the shower we had deviled eggs that were tinted green, and ham roll ups for "green eggs and ham". if you want to see my photos from either the shower or party and you are on facebook send me a friend request, my name is Genevieve Etkin, and put myfitnesspal in the message area and then you can see what all i have posted!

:)
  • caraann
    caraann Posts: 2
    Options
    As far as snack go, do a low fat spinach quiche and maybe serve up some turkey bacon, to go along with Dr. Seuss' famous "Green Eggs and Ham" to keep it fresh and gourmet!
  • khoolette
    khoolette Posts: 73
    Options
    My husband is a Pastor and he did a Dr. Seuss themed "renewal of vows" for my parents 40th anniversary. He found Dr. Seuss vows online...they were very funny. Maybe you could send out invitations in the form of a poem? We used red, white, and black flowers and then found Dr. Seuss Stickers to put on the "card holder" that sticks up out of the bouquet. As mentioned by someone else...you can find Dr. Seuss napkins, etc. at a party store. Have the Mom-to-be wear a Dr. Seuss hat instead of the traditional pin or ribbon that says "New mommy". You could also serve green eggs and ham if you're having a brunch style shower. :0)
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    wow - that is a lot of great ideas!!
    also - do you live near a Kohl's dept store?? They have their Kohl's Cares For Kids items for $5 and right now it is Dr Seuss --- you can get some great plush items & books for just $5 each right now...
    http://www.kohlscorporation.com/CommunityRelations/Community02.htm
  • AnneElise
    Options
    WOW thanks so much everyone! I had done a google search and looked at the AWESOME pictures that people had, thats where I got the idea. You guys had some great ones I know that I will use! I had thought about green eggs... not sure I can pull it off... never made deviled eggs before!
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I make cakes and cup cakes are so easy and clean because you don't have to cut cake and use plates and forks. Along those lines you could do cup cakes and each one could be iced in white and you could pipe a red fish on one a blue fish on another and the numbers 1 and 2 on others
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Did a really quick Google search, and found this site that may help at least generate some ideas:
    http://entertaining.about.com/cs/kidsparties/a/drseussparty.htm

Try doing a Google image search- there are pictures of tons of Dr. Seuss parties that may help, too!

I googled "dr seuss themed baby shower" and found several sites with ideas.
  • aimeeclaire
    aimeeclaire Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love the Dr. Seuss theme idea! I don't have any other Dr. S ideas but wanted to share another idea.

I went to a baby shower recently where everyone was given plain white bibs, onesies, socks...and we decorated them and then pinned them on the clothes line. It was fun and the baby now has a personalized wardrobe. :happy:
  • AnneElise
    Options
    I love the Dr. Seuss theme idea! I don't have any other Dr. S ideas but wanted to share another idea.

I went to a baby shower recently where everyone was given plain white bibs, onesies, socks...and we decorated them and then pinned them on the clothes line. It was fun and the baby now has a personalized wardrobe. :happy:

I had heard of this before and wasn't sure how it would go! you liked it?
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have games and prizes. People love to win and they love prizes, even if they are the silliest things. I threw a baby shower for my sister a year ago and people were so disappointed that we only played 3 games.

I love the book idea! Make sure that people write personalized messages in them...well, once she's sure they aren't duplicates :)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I had heard of this before and wasn't sure how it would go! you liked it?

I've never heard of this but LOVE it. Maybe give people a choice of what to decorate. I'd love to decorate socks and a bib, but don't feel talented enough to do a onesie.

Lots of showers have word games -- You can have a Name the Book (with you supplying the character), or a Word Scramble of book titles, or a Fill in the Blank with popular Dr Suess rhymes.

I love this idea. Seems very fun and whimsical. I'm assuming you know of the Dr. Suess book, "Oh Baby, The Places You'll Go".

I'm trying to think up a game you could play using Thing 1 and Thing 2.....

If you wanted to do the old game of 'how big is mother to be's belly", you could theme it so that you have to guess how many (insert cut out character here) it will take to go around her belly. So, for example, how many Whos From Whoville will it take to wrap around her belly, based on the cut out of a Who you have in your hand.
  • its_B
    its_B Posts: 491
    Options
    I wanted to say this is a WONDERFUL theme for a baby shower!!!

I wanted to throw my idea for a game.. its a bit more involved...

Games could related to book titles, as previously mentioned. Although my idea for a game is kind of a combination of ideas previously listed. Break party members up into "teams" then each team is given a copy of a different suess book. Each team is then given an outfit, (could just be a onsie or it could be hat, onsie, and socks!). Each team is given a time limit, items to decorate with, etc. At the end of the time limit, which ever onsie the expectant mother either sums up the book, or resembles a character of the book best can win a prize! Plus the baby will have fully themed clothes after each book!

Oh and for decorations you could print out memorable quotes from the books and put them everywhere! :)

hope these help a little!
    B
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Did you already have the shower?
    If not, the guests could make onesies with Dr. Suess themed characters.
    http://mirandawalker.blogspot.com/2010/04/baby-shower-onesie.html
  • Johnpush
    Options
    I love the wall decals and stare at them when I am sitting in the rocking chair with her, I cant wait till she is old enough to see them too!:love:
    http://www.espow.com/wholesale-health-lifestyle-wall-decorations.html