Why do the breasts go first?

This may seem like a joke question, but it's not. I just wonder if there is a scientific reason why it seems so many women lose in the breasts first. The ONE thing I like about myself this size is my breasts, they actually fill out a shirt as opposed to me at my goal weight.

Note: not at all trying to say that you need them to be beautiful, it's just something that I'm curious about.

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    i would think because its such an easily accessible area of fat. one that is not needed for vital functions.

(speaking from a theoretical evolutionary standpoint... dunno if its true)
  • Mine don't. Even when I was about 50 pounds lighter than I am now (6.5 years ago), they were the same cup size, and I only went don't one band size.

Do you want mine? I'm willing to give up half!
  • janatleigh
    janatleigh Posts: 33 Member
    Please don't let my boobs get smaller when I lose this weight!! Ack!
  • In and adverse question to yours: why do they seem to get larger after losing 20lbs+ ? Mine actually got larger..it seemed that all of my lost weight went right to my breasts!! I went up two cup sizes! Im still having a hard time adjusting to this and still in shock...
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    It's a breast feeding thing. They fat above your breasts (that part that makes them look "full") is the first thing turned into food energy. Nursing will eat through that fat quicker than any weight loss.
  • Just depends on your body type. That doesn't happen to me, even at a size 2 I was a 34C
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    I lost my thighs first. My bra size didn't go down until about 20 lbs in.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Um, because they're in front of you...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    They don't for me.
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    I always thought that breasts are mostly fat...I lose those first as well. And when I gain weight I can tell by my breasts (and stomach)
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Please don't let my boobs get smaller when I lose this weight!! Ack!

LOL mine were small when i was fat, and they are still small....... no wait they are SMALLER now!
    sorry to burst your bubble!
  • cosmic0074
    cosmic0074 Posts: 91 Member
    I don't know, but I don't approve!! Mine shrank when I lost weight last year. Before I re-signed up on here a couple nights ago, I'd been binge-eating for almost 2 weeks, and my boobs became much, much fuller! I was thrilled :drinker: But wasn't thrilled to see how much weight I gained, hence me back on here. I really don't wanna lose 'em again, haha :cry:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    My boobs are the very LAST thing to go. Not sure why different parts slim down at different rates on different people. Good question.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,183 Member
    I have lost inches in my chest and back but not breast/cup size. So I am happy. :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    So what are you going to do? Not lose weight? Why worry about something you can't control?
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    I can't wait for mine to go.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    I'm an A no matter how much I weigh. Yay me!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    All depends on the fat to fiber ratio in the breast. Those with not much of a fiber matrix will lose the fat and deflate. Those who have more fiber in their breasts will lose, but lose less.

There's actually a special bra called "BRAVA" (stands for something) that they use before a fat transfer from somewhere else on the body (tummy, hips or thighs). The fat (called an Autologous Fat Transfer) is gained through liposuction of the area that needs to be slimmed and then it is liquified and injected into the breast (no surgical scars as there would be with implants). From what I have read, the week before the fat transfer, the BRAVA treatment puts gentle suction on the breast to cause the breast to "beef up" its collagen matrix. The increased fiber in the breast then accepts the injected fat and holds it in place (instead of letting it migrate). The procedure is more expensive than implants. The original AFT was not very successful. Plastic surgeons are hopeful that this will be the answer to eliminate implants. This new procedure gives a much more normal look and feel to the breast and it is permanent--unlike implants which must be replaced every ten years or so.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    It is all genetics.

I sometime miss my boobs but I like my new body fit body more
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Mine are the same. I think it just depends on the person.