NEED ADVICE FROM EX_SMOKERS

Options

Replies

• Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. I tried dozens times before. I have no clue why it worked this time. I used patches. Don't go macho. Patches will get you through the rough times. I've been clean for over 3 years. Actually, it'll be 4 in February.

I tried a few times when I knew I wasn't ready. Not a chance.

I tried several times when I was ready, and I failed all of the times except the last one.

My triggers - cup of coffee and beer. When I quit smoking, for six months I quit both. Now I do both and no matter how drunk I get I don't want a cigarette.

All I can say, keep trying and good luck.
  • CanDBlack
    Options
    I quit cold turkey, too. These things helped me:

Don't PAY an evil corporation to KILL YOU.

You CANNOT be healthy if you smoke.

Just don't have a cigarette TODAY... you can worry about tomorrow when it comes.

And good luck to you! It's not easy, but it is worth it.

^^^This! I quit cold turkey 9 days ago, and it has been challenging. But I got to a point where I was just tired. Tired of stinking, tired of half a*$ doing my work outs b/c of my horrible lung capacity, tired of burning away my hard earned dollars. I'm taking it one day at a time. I tell myself "No. Right now you can't have a cigarette. You don't even really want it. But if you reeaalllly want it later/tomorrow you can have it." With each passing day I'm doing this less and less. It's a wonderful feeling! I truly wish you the best on this journey.
  • AllTheSparkles
    AllTheSparkles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I OD'd on nicotine patches so I had to quit cold turkey, so I did a little bit of everything but here are the most important ones:

1. Switch to a brand you hate
    2. Cut down to the bare minimum of cigarettes you can in a day- after meals, long drives act.
    3. Start exercising.
    4. Make smoking literally disgusting, uncomfortable and inconvenient for yourself.

In the mean time, buy some Orbitz bubble mint gum (makes cigarettes taste really odd) and dark chocolate, like 70% or more cocoa and go for it! Good luck.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I was a pack a day for 10 years, just celebrated one year smoke free around Xmas. Honestly, I quit in one of the most hellish ways possible. I took Chantix, and had the worst side effects. It was like legal speed for me, and I was very depressed. Dropped 10 lbs, couldn't sleep, and was off the wall crazy.

But..... I didn't smoke. No cravings. That was my third and final quit.

I'm done with smoking, I'll never go back.
  • hereisgone125
    hereisgone125 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love my e-cigg, I haven't smoked in almost a year. You can transition from nicotine levels, so that you aren't going "cold turkey" and eventually work your way down to a zero nicotine e-juice.
  • BatWoman2012
    Options
    I quit using Champix. At first I was having really bad nightmares so only took 1 pill in the morning then I just stopped taking them. For some reason xmas morning I bought a pack and the same again on New Years Eve but since then not one puff and am back on Champix with no side effects. Habit was the worst thing for me to over come. At work me and a co-worker would go out for a smoke every hour on the hour. I would have about 3 smokes just on my hour lunch break. A smoke every time I hopped in the car. I still actually now roll down my window and don't realise what Im doing lol but I hardly ever think about having a ciggy :)
  • Nonrunner
    Options
    I recommend looking at your previous quits for information. You were successful at quitting just not staying quit. Do what worked, investigate what tripped you up, and put a plan in place for the barrier or trigger that had you going back. The person who said she had a plan for everything has the right idea. Whatever triggers you have should be planned for with some alternative. Smoking is not only an addiction but a habit. Replace every cigarette with something else, have a strategy for every craving, trigger and barrier you've experienced in the past, including any signs or symptoms of withdrawal. You've done it before, you can totally do this again. You just need to tweak your planning. GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • dchannell
    Options
    I quit in 1991 as a birthday gift to my husband. Shock of all shocks six months later I found myself pregnant with our second child after 13 years of trying. I used Nicorette gum for a week or so and then gradually stopped that too because I didn't like the taste of it. I say anything that helps you transition from being a smoker to a non smoker is a good thing if it helps you. Try whatever is out there and eventually something is bound to help you quit. Good Luck!!!!
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Not real healthy..but lollipops are a great substitute for smoking.
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    I quit cold turkey four years ago. I chewed a lot of cinnamon gum.
    If I had to do it over, I'd probably would've learned a hands-ons skill. That would've helped heaps as well, so hands and mouth could be occupied at the same time.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I did Welbutrin for one year, dr said most pts who stopped drug before one year started again. also not good for the waistline, but Dum-Dum suckers REALLY helped me with the oral/manual fixation....
  • compumomma
    compumomma Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I quit 5 years ago. I was 35 years old and had an asthma attack they couldn't get under control. They put me in a medically induced coma and placed me on a ventilator. A day later I was brought out of the coma and started a long road of recovery. At the time I had a 6 year old daughter and the last thing I told my husband as he was taken out of the room was to make sure she knew I loved her. There was a chance I would not come off the ventilator. Now when I think about it the thought of never seeing my family again still hurts and I know that I will never smoke again.

Up until 2 weeks ago my husband smoked, even almost losing me wasn't enough. You need to have a reason and that reason will help you stay smoke free
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking when I was put on effexor for my anxiety. I didn't even realize I had gone so long without smoking, I just stopped being interested in them and no longer crave them. Best side effect EVER!
  • IHopie
    IHopie Posts: 14
    Options
    Just do it. Convince yourself you want to quit and stop smoking. I did quit about 30 times over the years until I finally really knew it was time. I finally quit while my DH still smoked so it wasn't like there were no temptations but I wanted to quit and the cigarettes being right there didn't tempt me. For a while I carried a worry stone on a short string so I had something to hold if I had an urge. That was 12 years ago and I have had a fleeting thought of having a cigarette a few times and then gone. Once I quit and knew I wasn't going back, I felt like it was the was the easiest thing I had ever done. Honestly, the patch, counting cigarettes, drugs or gum..didn't work. What worked was feeling like I really accomplished something by going cold turkey. It's not for wimps. And my DH still smokes and is still trying to quit. As for the e-gig, he became addicted to them and they did cause mouth and lip sores. Sorry this is so long but smoking is a major problem addiction to overcome. Best of luck.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I quit by location. That is, I quit several times cold turkey, but each time I started again, I wouldn't smoke in certain trigger places.

No more smoking in the car, over a decade ago.

No smoking at home, about three years ago. (And I often work from home)

No more smoking at the office when the campus became smoke free.

Since those three places make up most of my life, I haven't had a cigarette in ages!
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I just started the patch on Monday . a dear and extremely supportive MFP friend convinced me..so far so good :)
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey, too. These things helped me:

Don't PAY an evil corporation to KILL YOU.

You CANNOT be healthy if you smoke.

Just don't have a cigarette TODAY... you can worry about tomorrow when it comes.

And good luck to you! It's not easy, but it is worth it.

Worry about tomorrow, I love this!

I quit just over 8 years ago, cold turkey. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Don't hang out with smokers for a while!

The biggest thing that really worked for me, seriously, was a little competition with an "unknowing" participant. Here's the story...
    My sister and I do not get along real well. Nothing major, just don't like each other. She is the type of person who can be mean an pick on you about anything (the "reasoner" in me knows it's because she is very insecure and this is how she makes herself feel better). I know my sister has tried to quit several times, unsuccessfully. So I secretly "white-knuckled" my way through every craving and temptation, knowing I was going to accomplish something she couldn't.

That's what it took for me! I should also mention that I was in a Quit-Smoking program through the VA center, the support group was helpful. Didn't bother with the patches they wanted to give me - had previously tried them and hated that I went through withdrawals every time I stepped down to a lower dose.

Best of luck to you, you CAN do this!
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack per day for 28 years. It took me 5 tries in 3 years, but I finally quit using Chantix and the buddy system. That was 7 years ago this month.
    My friend and I spend HOURS on the phone chatting, just to keep from smoking. Other tricks: take a long bath and just go to bed. Get in your PJ's and read or play cards or a video game. When you are freshly scrubbed, you are less likely to get stinky again. I went to bed early A LOT in those first weeks. And, I ate a LOT of fruit. Tangerines, apples, bananas... anything to cub that need.
  • leyte26
    leyte26 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i quit almost 3 years ago. i was trying to lose weight to get pregnant and i wanted a personal trainer. my husband refused saying why would he spend all that money to help me get healthy when i am smoking. he had a point plus better to quit before getting pregnant anyways. so I made a deal with him told him if I quit the next day and stayed quit for 2 weeks i could get the trainer. i quit cold turkey havn't smoked since that day everytime i would think about wanting to cave i would think about how disappointed my husband would be and when times got hard i went to the gym i lost 75 pounds ran a half marathon still no baby but quitting was the best thing i could of done for myself now i can't belive i had smoked for so long.

i agree with the others you really have to want it and be ready to quit! plus avoid all the triggers as much as possible my hardest thing was driving loved to smoke while driving. and talking on the phone. but i am awhole lot warmmer in the winter now!!

i wish everyone good luck who is trying to quit you can do it!!!
  • travelbug002
    travelbug002 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Kudos to those who were able to quit cold turkey. I tried and failed--again and again and again. I used the patch and never had any cravings. I never had the urge to smoke and I still don't; in fact, the smell makes me ill now--and I've been smoke free for over ten years.