Low Intensity Cardio

Options
For as long as I can remember, I could never do endurance running. I was a soccer player for 13 years growing up and could easily participate in multiple games a day.
Still, at the age of 25-- spending time in the gym, eating right, doing cardio, my body still does not handle running as well as it should.
My HR will hit the 180's less than 5 minutes into running at 5 mph. I can do a few rounds of interval training and manage okay. The stationary bike seems to be the best bet for me while at the gym but I don't feel like it works as well as running.
(I'm guessing I will need a stress test eventually but as a poor college student, it doesn't really fit into the budget.)

I'm just curious.

1. If anybody has had this experience of exercise intolerance regardless of what you try

2. If low intensity (if my heart rate is still getting into the 160's, 170's is beneficial)

3. Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading and sorry about the long post!

Sarah

Replies

• spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your blood pressure & resting heart rate are? There could be some health factors contributing to your issues. (There were for me.)
  • sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Resting HR: 70-low 80's
    BP: 120's/70's usually

I've had blood work run, ekg, chest x-ray.
    Tried an inhaler with little improvement if any.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Your resting heart rate is kinda high, so I'm not really surprised. You're probably lacking a base aerobic fitness. Much of soccer is similar to intervals in that there's a lot of easy effort combined with short bursts. (big soccer fan, have played I the past). If you're interested in building your aerobic base, I'd concentrate on some very slow zone 2 runs. Maybe do intervals once a week. After a few weeks of that you'll find that you can maintain a faster pace at the same lower HR than you previously could/can now. Google heart rate training, there's a lot of info out there. Good luck!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Wearing my HRM I have the same issue. At 5mph I'm easily upwards of 180bpm... any higher (5.5) It can get into the 190's... It's not as bad as when I first started running.. What I've done is a combination of light paced distance (2-3 miles for now) and then once done I do a few sprints.. Other days will be Sprint/Walk/Jog intervals... My pulse is still up there but I have noticed I don't get the chest pain that was coming with it at first so I'm taking that as improvement.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the C25K program? You can build up your endurance for running distances easily following the protocol they list in the program.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    genetics do play a part. http://www.atlasgene.com/

You need to understand your heart rate training zones and if possible VO2 MAX - shapesense.com has a number of easy to use calculators. 180BPM for a 25 year old female is not maximal training nor is it low intensity.

I try and try to do "run walk run" training, but I feel that running is just not for me. People have changed their success with POWER BREATHIING which is worth researching.

On the inhaler point, a "reliever" inhaler if used outside of an asthma or bronchial attack will probably have a negative effect on performance as it effects HR, BP and not just the lungs. If you feel you have an underlying breathing issue then non-steroidal inhalers for "prevention" will help performance.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    160 to 170 is not low intensity. For you, 155 would be low intensity. That is beneficial. If you train your body, it will be able to perform high workloads at 155. It just takes a while to develop the aerobic system so that the body can deliver and use high amounts of oxygen at lower heartrates. It will never develop that capability exercising at high intensity all the time.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the C25K program? You can build up your endurance for running distances easily following the protocol they list in the program.

this is exactly what i was thinking, start walking build up your walking and speed then into the c25k wear your hrm and see how you go
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    As a recent convert to running after 44 years of being 'unable' to run, I now agree with those people who say that anyone can run. Possible answer? (and what worked for me, now running 15 miles a week)...slow down. Run veeeerrrrry slowly, so that you can still talk at the same time. This may be considerably slower than 5mph, but who's counting? Try it; you might just surprise yourself.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Why are you worried about sustaining a high heart rate?
    Advice I was given, is that I'd puke long before keeling over.

After running 5k's regularly my endurance has improved and max heart rate is lower.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My heart rate skyrockets when I work out but is on the lower range of healthy when I don't. Asked a my doc and was told that the goal range on fitness equipment a is just silliness as it doesn't apply across the board. I was told that as long as my heart rate returns to normal healthy levels within a reasonable time ( I forget the exact time he gave) I was good to go. He even brought a sports kenisiologist into the room to back up his recommendations. Now, he said if my heart rate is high and stays high ( which it doesn't for me) that's a problem. If in doubt, see your doc! Most large universities have cheap campus healthcare.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    If you are unconditioned to running, you heart rate is way too high for LISS.
    Try for 130-140. Running should be light and easy for the most part. This is called building a base.

You absolutely do not have to wreck yourself to get big benefits, in fact you may quickly find yourself outpacing others
    with more running experience who do not budget the time to work in the not-so-fast 'fun/easy' zone, and who
    try to make personal records every time they strike out.
  • sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the replies!
    Awesomely helpful!

I will take a look at following the C25K program.
    Also going to grab a polar HRM off of amazon.

I appreciate your time
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    If you just recently started running you need to build up your times and strengthen your lungs and increase your lung capacity. I had the same issues when i first started running but i started couch to 5k and found that the intervals it has you running at are perfect to work up to faster speeds and longer distances without making you feel like your going to die.

Maybe try to find a specific running program to help you reach your goals instead of just going to the gym and giving er until you cant go anymore.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I agree sounds like you are lacking in aerobic fitness.

Building aerobic fitness takes a lot of time, and you have to be disciplined to keep your heart rate low enough to be in the correct zone.

A lot of respected ultra runners use the maffetone system you may want to have a look. It will give you an exact target heart rate for your runs, and a test to measure your progress

http://philmaffetone.com/180formula.cfm
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    After 7 months of doing cardio exercises 3-4 times a week, my HR *still* gets up in the 190's during a good cardio workout (usually 193-195). My first 5k, it got up to 207 and my second 5k, it got up to 203. I have asthma though, which probably has something to do with it.
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I agree sounds like you are lacking in aerobic fitness.

Building aerobic fitness takes a lot of time, and you have to be disciplined to keep your heart rate low enough to be in the correct zone.

A lot of respected ultra runners use the maffetone system you may want to have a look. It will give you an exact target heart rate for your runs, and a test to measure your progress

http://philmaffetone.com/180formula.cfm

are you stalking me? :laugh: