Really Difficult!

Options
My name is Angela and I've been getting on this website for about 2 months now. I've been doing okay on weight loss but I live with my mother and brother because I moved back home from school. It is so difficult to eat healthy when all my family wants to do is eat out and when they don't eat out, they order pizza. I mean night after night it's the same thing. If they go grocery shopping they buy cake and all kinds of candy.Given the fact that my mother is a diabetic and my brother has high cholestrol I've tried to get them to alter their diet to the healthier side(not only for their health but to make temptation a little easier on me) I'm soooo discouraged because they get angry with me when I mention them eating healthier, meanwhile I can't seem to get back on the right track because of all the unhealthy food that surrounds me. I just wish this was a little easier. Ha I'm sure everyone feels that way!

Replies

• ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    It is hard when you can't control the food that is coming in the house. Is it possible for you to take one cupboard for yourself? If so put all your food that you can eat in there and so that is the only cupboard door that you have to open when looking for a snack. If you can't then maybe you keep it in your room. Are you buying your own food or does Mom buy for the house? If you are buying your own food or can at least pick it plan meals offer to be the one to cook then maybe they will eat what you make. In the long run they will be saving money from eating out and also will be getting at least one healthy in a day. Hang in there and remember just because they are eating out doesn't mean you have to. Hope you you are able to come up with a workable plan!
  • vickijw
    vickijw Posts: 3
    Options
    Hang in there Angela just keep doing what you are doing.

:flowerforyou:
  • earthmamma1
    Options
    I know that it is difficult to live with people who won't change the way they live. However, after attending years of AA meetings with my aunt one of the things that I have learned is that you can't change people who don't want to change. Push through this difficult time and think of yourself as a role model for your mom and brother. If they see positive results in the way you look and feel about yourself perhaps they will take a closer look and how they feel. Stay strong.
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe offer to do the shopping and some of the cooking? Maybe you could gradually introduce them to some of the healthier things you would like to try.
  • MommyDaisy76
    MommyDaisy76 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with Laura...volunteer to cook. My boyfriend is completely anti-diet. But, I found this book called Cook this, Not that. The food in there is amazing...but still low in fat and calories. My boyfriend doesn't know he is eating diet food...he just thinks I am treating him. So, you could offer to make some dishes (and then make good tasting diet food). Then when they tell you it is good...tell them it is low in calories, etc.

Also, if they are insistant on you going out to eat with them, do your homework. Scour the menu for nutritious food (ask for a nutrition pamphlet if you have to) and then stick to that. Ask for a to-go box before you start eating, and put half your meal in the to-go box. Restaurants are notorious for making too big of portion sizes, so it is dangerous to have the whole meal sitting in front of you.

And, believe it or not, pizza is OK on occasion. It is high in fat and calories, so it should not be all the time. But, if you splurge and have a piece, it will not destroy your diet. The key is portion control. If you are having a meal that is high in calories...eat less of it.

I know it is very hard, I am constantly surrounded by my favorite candies and chips...but that is what the support on here is for.

p.s. make sure you are drinking all of your water in a day....it is hard to be hungry when your belly is full of water.
  • happy_angi09
    happy_angi09 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT AND ADVICE!