Fresh tomato soup with small pasta

Options
When I was in high school and the book fair came around, I found a small cook book for soups and grilled cheese sandwiches. There was a recipe in the book for a tomato soup that I have been making for 5 years now. It's super easy to make, fairly cheap to buy the ingredients and tastes great!

Makes one serving: (unless you desire to split into two servings to eat with a salad or sandwich, I eat it by itself)

1 small yellow onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 medium tomatoes on the vine chopped
1-1/2 cups 99% fat free Swanson chicken broth (depending on how thick you want the soup)
2 tsp Oregano (I like a lot of oregano lol)
1 tsp Basil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup Small pasta of choice (I usually use alphabets)
Shredded part skim mozzarella if desired

You will also need either a food processor or an immersion blender.

- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, saute until onion become soft.
- Add 3 chopped tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano, basil, salt and peper to pot.
- Bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and put a lid on top. Simmer for 15-20 min.
- Once tomatoes appear to have broken down, remove from heat.
- Put mixture in food processor and blend until smooth. If you are using an immersion blender, keep mixture in pot and blend until smooth.
- Once blended return mixture to same pot (unless an immersion blender was used).
- Add 1/4 cup pasta and return to a boil. (I found lately that setting the heat back to about medium cooks it just as well, with less spatter when stirring, it's not fun getting spattered with molten tomato haha)
- Cook until pasta is tender.
- Take off heat and enjoy!

(without shredded mozzarella) : 341 calories, 47 carbs, 15 fat, 9 protein
(with shredded mozzarella) : 421 calories, 48 carbs, 20 fat, 16 protein

Replies