Calories burned on machine vs calories burned on mfp?

Options
Quick question, I started going to the gym- I'm 255 lbs 5'5. I giver when I'm at the gym (sweating after 5 mins) i went on the treadmill for 35 minutes today, fast, medium, inclining declining, and it said I burned about 216 calories. But when I go to my fitness pal and go to add in my excersize it says it's like 360 for 35 mins of fast walking. I don't no which one to add. The machine ( which doesn't have a age/weight option or mfp!!!!! Help :)

Replies

• crystalfleming1
    crystalfleming1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I was wondering the same thing. Not sure which one to enter so I stick with MFP. Not sure how they come up with number of calories burned...
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    If your machine has the heart rate monitors and you're entering in your age and weight, go by the machine. My elliptical does that, you have to input a lot of info and it tracks your HR the whole time. When I go on MFP, it's almost 300 cal over what the machine says. I always input what the machine says. I also use a workout app on my phone (where you have to enter in weight & height) so when I'm walking or weight lifting I get an average of calories burned. Always go with the HR monitor
  • angelamaynard7
    Options
    Does anyone know if the calories burned amount adjusts as you lose weight on MFP?
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I typically go with whatever is lower.
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if the calories burned amount adjusts as you lose weight on MFP?

Yes it does - I've noticed my swimming calories declining though I'm doing the same thing for the same time as usual.
  • MSiegel00
    MSiegel00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Buy a heart rate monitor. I have the Polar FT7 and it tracks your calories based off your heart rate. I think it's pretty damn accurate.
  • dnhardy
    dnhardy Posts: 59
    Options
    If you're not using the HRM on the machine, then its calculating for someone that is "average" height and "average" weight. Most of the ones I've seen say between 120 and 140lbs. (Should be in tiny font on the actual machine if its commercial)
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I noticed that MFP has lower rates then the machine in the gym, but I go with the lower one. I think it will even out as well with the food. I go there with the higher one, so it makes me more aware of what I eat. It will balance it out.