Help, how do i get rid of foppy belly

Options
Hi, i have lost a fair bit of weight but my belly from my navel down is floppy and squishy, i do sit ups ect but how can i tighten this squishy loose skin? I am 46 next month. Please help :sad:

Replies

• julesan902
    julesan902 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You can't "spot reduce." No matter how many crunches or sit ups you do, your body will take body fat from wherever it needs to. Continue exercising, eat below maintenance, and it will happen. Eventually. Good luck.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You can't "spot reduce." No matter how many crunches or sit ups you do, your body will take body fat from wherever it needs to. Continue exercising, eat below maintenance, and it will happen. Eventually. Good luck.
    yup.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    It depends - if it's fat, then as Jules says, you just have to stick to reducing your overall body fat percentage.

If it's skin, then only time and patience, or surgery. My wife gained weight when pregnant and was carrying large, after giving birth and losing the fat, she simply has excess skin. There's enough that it probably won't improve too much with time, so her option is surgery or live with it.
  • mdjcpa75
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I have lost almost 50 pounds and my belly is refusing to go away. It does seem to be getting smaller, but just not as quickly as I would like. Keep working out as often as you can and it will eventually go away.
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, it shrinks but never fully goes away :(
    Keep up with the exercise and sensible eating & work at reducing bodyfat - it's the only way. Smaller is definitely better than it being bigger! :happy:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    First, tell your belly to stop worrying so much about its frilly clothing. Second, tell it to stop going to coffee houses to sip coffee, listen to poetry, and dream of aristocracy.

Third, try lifting weights and watching calories: key ways to lose body fat, as others said, you can't spot reduce, and belly's generally the last place to go.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    mines horrible too. almost enough to want to refill it with some weight again, just so i can have firm skin again...same with my chest. but im just going to cross my fingers that it catches up sometime over the next six months. its so embarrassing, it just makes you feel so ugly.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same way. But, as time goes on, I can see it getting "better"....... just keep going. Still, loose skin is WAY healthier than the extra weight.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I was sick for a week and a half and lost six pounds...greatly improved the look of my belly.
  • Tann33
    Tann33 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. But each day I can see a change in my waist area and my hangy bangy is getting smaller. Before, I started changing my eating habits. I would hold my stomach and can feel the fat and it was hard and felt a lot. But now, I don't have that much fat too hold in my hands from my stomach and the fat or whatever I was feeling is less hard and it feels more broken up. I know I'm trying to explain it but I can't. Don't give up and contuine to work out. I lose weight in my limbs, back, and chest first and my stomach area is last but I'm not going to give up and you don't either.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    First, tell your belly to stop worrying so much about its frilly clothing. Second, tell it to stop going to coffee houses to sip coffee, listen to poetry, and dream of aristocracy.
    :laugh:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    mines horrible too. almost enough to want to refill it with some weight again, just so i can have firm skin again...same with my chest. but im just going to cross my fingers that it catches up sometime over the next six months. its so embarrassing, it just makes you feel so ugly.
    Me too, just really hoping that time will fix it.
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Eat clean and green and the belly fat will go away. Doing any sort of ab exercise is pointless until you lose the fat in front of your abdominal muscles. I follow the "push away" diet. Somebody offers you something that isn't healthy, say NO and PUSH it AWAY! :laugh: :wink: :tongue:
  • yoovie
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Eat clean and green and the belly fat will go away. Doing any sort of ab exercise is pointless until you lose the fat in front of your abdominal muscles. I follow the "push away" diet. Somebody offers you something that isn't healthy, say NO and PUSH it AWAY! :laugh: :wink: :tongue:

get better reading comprehension. she said the skin. she didnt say she was having trouble with fat. before you drop generic advice on people like a boss, pay attention to what they are actually saying to you.
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    Wow, I think I missed the "you need to be a b**ch memo" in order to post on here. Maybe you could nicely say I misunderstood what she was asking instead of putting me down. I wasn't being mean to her and I was only giving advice. I've had two children and cleaning up your diet will ALSO tighten up that belly skin.

Here are some other ideas:

Consume a balanced diet high in fatty acids and antioxidants in order to stimulate your body's production of collagen and tighten stomach skin.

Take antioxidant supplements regularly. Vitamin C will stimulate collagen production, which will tighten loose skin over your entire body as well as on your stomach.

Perform Yoga abdominal exercises to tighten loose skin on the stomach, including Upward Facing Dog pose and Cobra Yoga pose. These moves will target loose skin located in the lower abdomen.

Perform all-over weight training exercises to add muscle tissue under your skin. Muscle mass helps elevate your metabolism, even after you have finished your workout.

Engage in cardio activity to melt abdominal fat. Stay within in an aerobic workout zone during any cardio activity, such as jogging or swimming, in order to reduce weight your overall weight as well as target abdominal fat for tighter skin.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/195891-how-to-tighten-loose-abdominal-skin/#ixzz2IFRS4CQS

Oh wait..what does that say? IN ORDER TO REDUCE WEIGHT YOUR OVERALL WEIGHT AS WELL AS TARGET ABDOMINAL FAT FOR TIGHTER SKIN. Now I think I gave advice LIKE A BOSS there crazy lady.
  • yoovie
    Options
    yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah i didnt put you down or call you mean, i called you a boss. Im sorry if it bothered you that I called you out on dismissing her actual question, though
  • yoovie
    Options
    WHOA

holy hell lady- are you PMS
  • witchyme
    witchyme Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    WHOA

holy hell lady- are you PMS
    hahahahahaha
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    Nope, just sick of you people who think you know what you're talking about when you HAVE NO IDEA. I'm a certified personal trainer, health and welness coach and certified in nutrition. My advice was real and will help improve overall belly fat and loose skin. Don't like my advice? Ignore it. Pretty simple.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Well, at least I dont think Im better than everyone else.