Rutabaga (Swede) Fries

Options
Amberonamission
Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
I made these yummy bites last night and I thought I'd share how I did it.

2 large rutabagas (swedes) Cut into steak fry shapes (bigger is better, they shrink)
pinch smoked paprika
pinch granulated garlic
pinch chili powder
a few dashes of Ms. Dash
oil spray

Pre heat your oven to 450F (gas mark 8)
Pre boil the rutabaga for 10 min then drain and pat dry. Put in a bowl with the seasonings to coat. Use salt if you'd like. I try to avoid the stuff.
On a foil lined cookie sheet, sprayed with canola or vegetable oil spray, spread the fries out into a single layer. Bake 2o min until crispy. The rack should be in the middle of the oven. Serve alone or with this onion dip I made for the family.

Caramelized onion dip

1 huge yellow onion chopped up
1/3 pint of fat free sour cream
1 squirt light mayo
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp thyme

In a frying pan cook the onions on med low til a light brown color. Stir occasionally so they don't burn. While still warm but not hot, put in a blender or food processor. Whiz them good. Add the remaining ingredients whiz again. Put in the fridge a few hours for the flavors to blend. Yum.

Replies

• SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Bump...thanks Amber
  • MetSox129
    MetSox129 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy! gotta try em out =)
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i love my swede chips, having them tonight actually :smile:

they go really well with celeriac chips too..
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    this sounds really good! I love cooking with root vegetables instead of potatoes! Thanks for the receipe. I have never cooked with rutabagas before.....
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    BUMP these sound awesome!!!
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good. I use Rutabagas to replace potatoes in stews and pot roasts too and they are so very good.
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try these!! I mash rutabagas. My kids call them yellow mashed potatoes. Funny thing is, they are a Thanksgiving food for us and I forget to make them year round. We love them.