Anyone overcome an injury? Need motivation

Options
I'm looking for people that have overcome injuries and have been able to get back to working out.

I tore ligaments in my knees over 10 years ago and as a result I now have a degenerative miniscus on one knee. It seems to hurt off and on. I use to love running. I want to hear about your injury story and how you got back to doing what you love. How did you overcome the pain? And does it get better?

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to read my profile. There are a lot of people on here who have overcome a lot. You have to be willing to change the way you think about exercise, be willing to try things your own way, and push through it.
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    December 2008 automobile crash left me with a fractured C5-6 cervical column, right lung contusion, fractured left collar bone and fracture of the right orbital floor. Anterior Cervical fusion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsYyVtBph7E) neck. Was told I would lose 10% range of motion in my neck, would need plastic surgery to repair right eye socket and would be unable to lift weights or squat for a very very long time.

Two months following accident, back to work. 4 months following accident and continued PT and aqua therapy, lifting, ran a 10K 6 months after the accident.

5 years later, stronger than I ever was prior to the accident. No PEDs, Roids. Just my faith and determination.

Whatever they say you can't you can IF you will yourself through...
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Overweight, shin splints, chronically sprained ankles (both ankles), left knee pain and bad right hip from an old soccer injury. The way I cured it was to walk my first year and then start jogging. Even now I try to walk five to ten minutes to warm up slowly before running. I haven't cured the overweight problem but I just jogged 4 miles on Monday at a 12 minute mile pace completely pain free other than the out-of-shape pain of being 280 lbs and jogging. The walking for an hour a day (4 miles) 3-4 days per week strengthened up my shins, ankles and knee. My hip only hurts when it is going to rain. I just dislocated my shoulder 3 Mondays ago. Slow going to get back into weight lifting but I am doing lower weights/higher reps until my shoulder feels up to getting into larger weights. Be patient.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Due to HLA-B27 I deal with inflammation throughout my body; recently the joints, ligaments & tendon in my left ankle up to the bottom of my calf was severely inflamed. I had to be in an air cast for 8 weeks. That soooo sucked. In addition the ligaments in my chest got inflamed for about a week during this time. None the less at least 1x/week I would do P90X weight lifting. Doing push-ups on my knees and instead of doing jumping jacks I'll do the arm motion and move one foot at a time...Jacks with no jumping. No sooner after coming out of the air cast I was hit with a head & chest cold...I've now restarted my workout as of this week doing the Cathe F. XTrain 30 day Low Impact Cardio w/Strength Training. My point is I decided long ago... NO Excuses for not working-out or at least trying... I figured if there are folks in wheelchairs still lifting weight then why can't I. I paced myself during the 8 wks and just would not give up or give into the mindset of "I can't". I hove custom orthotics in my shoes and limited motion in my left ankle/tendon while it still heals. I keep my foot/ankle doctor updated on what I'm doing (exercise wise) as well as my rheumatologist. Both of them support my determination to keep moving via exercise. Most importantly my hubby and two sons support me. You have to decide NO EXCUSES. :smile: