How I lost 13.3lbs in 14 days, being SMART (long post)

Options
(Disclaimer - I am not saying I have lost 13.3lbs of _fat_ in 14 days, that would be impossible. I follow IF, lift heavy and net 1400/day. Also sorry, but I will also not be able to read/reply to any comments. If you want to see pictures of what I eat every day for dinner go to yummygalley.tumblr.com)

A quick summary write up regarding how this week has been getting on for me, health and fitness wise. I’ve really enjoyed this week, I’ve eaten a lot of tasty healthy food and pushed the capabilities of my body. The feeling of measurable and non measurable progression is fantastic. Every day is an experiment, an opportunity to do one better than the day before, both physically and mentally.

Here is my last 4 weight and bf% printouts http://yummygalley.tumblr.com/image/40757103304

As you can see, my weight is now 13st12, 88.4kg, 194.8lbs. And I’ve shrunk a cm! What I find quite strange here, although it might be due to the height mess up, is that my “bf% has increased” by 0.2%, yet my bf mass has dropped by 300g. And clearly from the following information, my bf% has not actually increased. I wasn’t placing much hope of an accurate reading every time from a cheap Boots machine, but really? Maybe it’s having an off day. I’m interested to see what it says next week.

Here are my ongoing measurements (inches)

Waist - 32 -> 31.5

Hips - 42.5 -> 41

Upper thighs - 46.5 -> 44.8

Chest - 35 -> 34

Other changes…
- More muscle definition in back, calves and biceps.

- All of my gym trousers are baggier around the thighs and knees and I have to keep pulling them up when running.

- No wedgies!!

- After hating them my whole life, I have grown to love peppers.

- I can run (faster than jog, slightly slower than a sprint) for 120 second intervals, rather than 80.

- My power walk pace on the treadmill has increased from 6.6kmph (4.1mph) to 6.9kmph (4.3mph)

- My power walk time to the gym has decreased by 4 minutes, so it now taes me 31 minutes to walk 2.5 miles.

- Walking doesn’t feel fast enough sometimes - If I did’t have a backpack on, I would probably start legging it.

- My flat leather boots, which were very tight, almost impossible to fit into, I can wear and fit a finger into.

- No heartburn in 2 weeks.

- No sweet craving’s except for cottage cheese and chicken sandwiches.

- No naps or the feeling the need for naps

Achieving these things would have been less possible without setting goals. When studying Business at College and Hypnotherapy, CBT and NLP we I learnt to make goals S.M.A.R.T. I’m sure all or most of you reading this have heard of this before but this is something that has been very useful to me. I, personally, am motivated to achieve more and to be accountable, knowing that I have well thought out goal set. This is how you can smart goals.

S pecific

M easurable

A ttainable

R ealistic

T imely

Specific:

A specific goal has a much greater chance of being accomplished than a general goal. to st a specific goal, you must answer the six “W” question:

*Who: Who is involved?

*What: What do I want to accomplish?

*Where: Identify a location.

*When: Establish a time frame.

*Which: Identify requirements and constraints.

*Why: Specific reasons, purpose or benefits of accomplishing the goal.

A general goal would be, “Get in shape.” But a specific goal would say, “Join a gym and workout for an hour 3 days a week and cut out take away fast food.”

MY specific goal - To be in a position where I have a healthy relationship with food, be in a healthy weight and body fat range and feel comfortable wearing a bikini and shorts in front of people. This should be achieved by July 20th 2013 so when I go sailing to Australia, I can feel comfortable in hot climates and not worry about having to ration food supplies.

Measurable

Establish concrete criteria for measuring progress toward the attainment of each goal you set.

When you measure your progress, you stay on track, reach your target dates, and experience the exhilaration of achievement that spurs you on to continued effort required to reach your goal.

To determine if your goal is measurable, ask questions such as……

How much? How many?

How will I know when it is accomplished?

How I make MY goal measurable - I will keep a record my weight, bf % and measurements every Wednesday. I will also write about other changes and how I achieved them. Regarding my weight, I’d like to be a maximum of 150lbs by July 20th 2013 and be able to fit into size 12 shorts. From now, this would be a reduction of at least 44lbs.

Attainable

When you identify goals that are most important to you, you begin to figure out ways you can make them come true. You develop the attitudes, abilities, skills, and financial capacity to reach them. You begin seeing previously overlooked opportunities to bring yourself closer to the achievement of your goals.

You can attain most any goal you set when you plan your steps wisely and establish a time frame that allows you to carry out those steps. Goals that may have seemed far away and out of reach eventually move closer and become attainable, not because your goals shrink, but because you grow and expand to match them. When you list your goals you build your self-image. You see yourself as worthy of these goals, and develop the traits and personality that allow you to possess them.

Are MY goals attainable? - In order to reduce my weight by 44lbs in time for 20th July 2013, which is approximately 24 weeks away, I will have to reduce my weight by 1.8lbs a week, which is healthy and achievable.

Realistic

To be realistic, a goal must represent an objective toward which you are both willing and able to work. A goal can be both high and realistic; you are the only one who can decide just how high your goal should be. But be sure that every goal represents substantial progress.

A high goal is frequently easier to reach than a low one because a low goal exerts low motivational force. Some of the hardest jobs you ever accomplished actually seem easy simply because they were a labor of love.

Is MY goal realistic? - With the skills, knowledge and motivation I have, I feel that my goal is realistic.

Timely
A goal should be grounded within a time frame. With no time frame tied to it there’s no sense of urgency. If you want to lose 10 lbs, when do you want to lose it by? “Someday” won’t work. But if you anchor it within a timeframe, “by May 1st”, then you’ve set your unconscious mind into motion to begin working on the goal.
Your goal is probably realistic if you truly believe that it can be accomplished. Additional ways to know if your goal is realistic is to determine if you have accomplished anything similar in the past or ask yourself what conditions would have to exist to accomplish this goal.

Is MY goal timely? - Yes. I have set out a realistic time frame in which to achieve my very specific goal. I know what I need to do in order to be able to realise that goal. I have accomplished similar things in the past, but this time I have more knowledge, experience, motivation and support.

T can also stand for Tangible – A goal is tangible when you can experience it with one of the senses, that is, taste, touch, smell, sight or hearing.

When your goal is tangible you have a better chance of making it specific and measurable and thus attainable.
Is MY goal tangible? - Not really. But there are ways to experience your goal in a tangible way do be able to see the possibility of it in the future. How do I make mine tangible? I imagine myself sitting on the front of my boat in the middle of the Atlantic, and I can see nothing except ocean around me. I can hear roar of the sea and the SSB radio in the background, I can smell just the cool freshness of the wind, I can feel the sun on my face and shoulders and I can taste my cup of tea and ginger biscuit.

This is a great way of motivating yourself too. Really put yourself in the goal, make it real, bright and colourful and ask yourself “What did I do to feel this great?” And create your goals around your answer.

Until next time... x

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    wow, you're brave posting again... not being funny, but you will get all the same comments as last time....
  • dtban
    dtban Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Congrats! But I am still left wondering....aside from your motivation and plan on how to stay driven...how exactly did you lose the 13.3 lbs in 14 days?
  • pennysaurus
    pennysaurus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I didn't read it all but I'm sure it was a cool story