Natural Blood Pressure Remedies

Hi,

Anyone out there suffering from high blood pressure. i'm currently on meds and I hate taking them. I am looking for some alternative remedies so that I can once and for all get it under control. It's extremely frustrating because I exercise like crazy and I do watch what I eat...though I probably could stand to cut back on a little salt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Hey there I have been on blood pressure medication since I was in my teens. I had lost 150 pounds and my blood pressure you would think would get better, but it was always high. I do not know of any natural remedies I know grape fruit is real good for high blood pressure. I did start cutting back on my salt intake. I wen't to the doctor in November and she removed my medication because my blood pressure was so well. Just know your not the only one buddy hang in there :)

Nadia
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Wow, since your teens? Bless your heart. Congrats on getting off of them. I'm sure it almost feels like the shackles were removed and your'e now free.

I'm 46 now and i've been on them since I turned 38. I recently went to the doctor and it actually got worse and she had to prescribed a beta blocker in addition to the meds I'm taking now. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    I am 30 and I was obese in my teens, it has been since the age of 15 I been on medication. I use to weigh 350 lbs. So trust me all about the fight! Try to monitor your salt in take and check your blood pressure when you can and see if you notice it getting better. If you exercise frequently maybe you need to really look at what you eat meaning the fat and salt in take. I know for me I thought I was eating great and doing good and I had to recheck myself lol. You know we are the worse when it comes to ourselfs!
  • I know if your potassium is running low it can make your BP run high. You might want to check that. I take BP meds and a potassium pill every morning. Hoping to get off them when I get some weight off. Also, sometimes it is genetic and nothing seems to be wrong except it run high. My dad is that way, no apparent reason!! He is in good shape, etc.
  • DAMETRE
    DAMETRE Posts: 24 Member
    I have been on Hypertension meds for a little over 10 years. Just recently I had to stop taking them due to my blood pressure being extremely low. Within the last couple of months I have been exercising and watching my sodium intake. You would not believe the amount of sodium I used to take in on an average day. I did not really understand until I started logging all of my foods and drinks. I had no idea of the amounts of sodium foods have and it can add up sooo quickly. I am sooo happy to be off the meds.
  • Thewatcher_66
    I am 30 and I was obese in my teens, it has been since the age of 15 I been on medication. I use to weigh 350 lbs. So trust me all about the fight! Try to monitor your salt in take and check your blood pressure when you can and see if you notice it getting better. If you exercise frequently maybe you need to really look at what you eat meaning the fat and salt in take. I know for me I thought I was eating great and doing good and I had to recheck myself lol. You know we are the worse when it comes to ourselfs!

Congrats once again on your weight loss and getting off the meds. A real sense of accomplishment I'm sure. I do monitor my calorie and carb intake but since I'm not really over weight, I should probably use the MFP app to monitor sodium levels a lot more. I am now eating at least 2 bananas per day and attempting to consume more potassium from other foods. I went through my pantry the other night, looked at all the labels on the foods and the ones with high sodium levels are going to the local food bank. I'm also going to refrain from eating out too much because restaurant foods are notorious for having high sodium levels along with other preservatives.
  • Thewatcher_66
    I know if your potassium is running low it can make your BP run high. You might want to check that. I take BP meds and a potassium pill every morning. Hoping to get off them when I get some weight off. Also, sometimes it is genetic and nothing seems to be wrong except it run high. My dad is that way, no apparent reason!! He is in good shape, etc.

I can certainly relate to your dad. I'm 6'2" and weigh only 185 pounds and am pretty fit. Unfortunately, hypertension is very genetic and I inherited it from my dad. (I didn't inherit his full head of hair but I did inherit his high blood pressure. :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    CAYENNE PEPPER! IT WORKS!
  • Thewatcher_66
    I have been on Hypertension meds for a little over 10 years. Just recently I had to stop taking them due to my blood pressure being extremely low. Within the last couple of months I have been exercising and watching my sodium intake. You would not believe the amount of sodium I used to take in on an average day. I did not really understand until I started logging all of my foods and drinks. I had no idea of the amounts of sodium foods have and it can add up sooo quickly. I am sooo happy to be off the meds.

I really think that I need to start doing the same thing. I've been so caught up at looking at calories, carb and saturated fat intake levels, I've ignored sodium. It's time to start becoming more aware of those sodium levels as well. Congrats on getting off the meds.
  • Thewatcher_66
    And i"m also reading a lot of good benefits of garlic. I'm going to start taking more of it, hopefully I won't offend too many people. :)
  • s_wilson84
    s_wilson84 Posts: 74 Member
    Try a plant based diet. Check out these documentaries.

Forks Over Knives
    Vegucated
    Engine 2
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

All have great information about using the power of healthy eating to reduce high blood pressure. Not to mention the numerous other benefits that you gain.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Hey there I have been on blood pressure medication since I was in my teens. I had lost 150 pounds and my blood pressure you would think would get better, but it was always high. I do not know of any natural remedies I know grape fruit is real good for high blood pressure. I did start cutting back on my salt intake. I wen't to the doctor in November and she removed my medication because my blood pressure was so well. Just know your not the only one buddy hang in there :)

Nadia

Don't eat grapefruit if you take blood pressure meds. http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0206d.shtml
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    For me at least, caffeine and stress raised it. Also birth control pills, but I doubt that's your problem lol.

Edit: I was thin and in shape then too, and it was high for a few years.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Yes, I stay away from grapefruit along with salt substitutes. Neither are good, at least if you're taking my prescription.
  • When my Grandma had a heart attack i started researcing everythign I could because I HATE the idea of taking medicine that causes another problem. I found these: bananas and an herb called fenugreek.
  • Thewatcher_66
    For me at least, caffeine and stress raised it. Also birth control pills, but I doubt that's your problem lol.

Edit: I was thin and in shape then too, and it was high for a few years.

LOL- Not taking those that I'm aware of. It is frustrating when you do everything right from an exercise standpoint yet you can't get it under control. I think not getting enough sleep can also raise. I've been getting up a few days a week at around 4:00 AM to go running because I'm prepping for a marathon. I think it's taking a toll.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member
    I keep my blood pressure within normal limits by keeping my sodium in the 1500 mg/day range and boosting my consumption of potassium rich foods (potatoes, tomatoes, most fruits and veggies, salmon and beans are excellent sources of potassium). Look into the DASH diet. It is effective!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Yeah, it sounds like sodium could be at least part of your problem. Stress, alcohol and smoking can also raise blood pressure. If you are of a healthy weight and doing regular aerobic exercise you've already tried the 2 lifestyle changes most recommended to lower BP. You might give the DASH diet a try. It's a diet specifically designed to lower BP.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    probably STRICTLY genetic. I have the same problem with high cholestrol my Mom had it too and she was not overweight.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    dark chocolate?

I was diagnosed at age 25. It mysteriously went low with my last pregnancy (3 years ago at age 30) and has been okay since but it's starting to creep up again. Damn genetics.