what is crock-pot?

Options
gekata
gekata Posts: 13 Member
Hello, Everyone!

My question might seem silly, but here, in Hungary I have never used or seen a crock-pot. Or I just don't know what it is.
It is clear that it is used for long, slow cooking, but how does it work? Can it be programmed (time and temperature), or it is just a big heavy pot, for exp. clay or iron?

thx

Replies

• capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    slow cooker
  • Sweetpickles99
    Options
    Its an electric cook pot that cooks slowly, like 4, 6, or 8hrs. Its really good for working people cause you put food in it then go to work and its done when you get home. Hopes this helps.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    http://www.crock-pot.com/

here is a website- they sell them- but it is a slow cooker that has a low & high heat setting-

put the food in as per recipe & 4-6 or 6-8 hrs later- dinner is served

I love it for roasts ( pork, beef or even whole chickens- all come out tender & juicy

Hope that helps
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    It's generally stoneware inserted into a metal base the plugs into an outlet. The base at the very least is temperature adjustable (Warm, Low, High). Some more expensive models are programmable.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    they are also great for making soups and stews.
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Similar to a Dutch Oven you put in the oven for long periods of time but has its own thermostat and timer. Throw a chicken in in the morning on low for 8 hrs and when you get home from work it is done. Can do it with soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, casseroles, etc..... They are awesome!
  • gekata
    gekata Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all!

It was very helpful. It is clear now, why it is so useful.It is great that you can leave it for hours without watching over it.(I have to have one!)

thx