getting ripped w/o the gym

Options
Anyone get really in-shape and fit without going to the gym? I'm a poor grad student (and trying to pay off wedding debt) and I'd rather not have to buy a gym membership. I've been running 3x/week and am training for a 5k in Feb and an 8k in April. I've also been doing 30 Day shred and I own Insanity. Anyone else have any tips? I feel like I have the cardio covered, just worried that I'm not getting enough strength training.

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    A balanced bodyweight routine
  • Leanalgreen
    Leanalgreen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can do a ton of things without weights. Sometimes it takes a little creativity. I'd probably go on Youtube and look up bodyweight exercises or something of that nature. I'd start with the obvious stuff like push ups and situps. You can do pull ups as well. If you have a park near by there should be bars for pullups and maybe even parallel bars for dips. On those same parallel bars I let myself hang underneath upside down and pull myself up. That works my lats pretty well.

Do different variations of each exercise to work the muscles differently. There are also exercises you can do with a towel and a partner. There are some youtube videos of Arnold and Franco Columbo working out like that.
  • tomsawyerv
    Options
    If you're a grad student, check your college campus for a gym. Even my podunk community college had a pretty rad gym that students could use for free.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Yes, although I am no where near ripped I will get there and I will get there working out at home
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    The nerdfitness website has a good bodyweight circuit workout. I work out at home and I mostly rotate Jillian Michaels DVDs (I know not everyone loves her but I can't get enough haha). Most of her DVDs incorporate weights. I have 3lb, 5lb, and 10lb dumbbells that I got at Target and I use those with her DVDs. I am not "ripped", but I am in the best shape of my life and 4 lbs away from my goal weight, all from healthy diet and working out at home.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    @Fullofwin - suggestions, please?

Thanks Leanalgreen!

@ tomsawyerv - My college has a pretty amazing gym. Unfortunately, I live a 1.5 hr drive from campus and since I'm working on my dissertation, I pretty much never have to go to campus. Just the amount of money in tolls & gas I'd pay to go to campus every day for 1 week would be more than the cost of a gym membership in my neighborhood.

@BellaFe - What are you doing?
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 and light cardio on my spin bike
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    For beginner bodyweight routine google "you are your own gym"
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You're off to a great start with some good at-home workouts. Check out Oxygen magazine (look online too) for great at home workouts :)
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    BodyRockTv.com Step by step body weight workouts and other things it's neat! I'm also paying off wedding debt LOL