Fitness tools

suziblues2000
suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
If you had about $20-$40 what would you buy to help you stay fit?
Like, maybe those exercise balls? or maybe some weights? a video?
Or would you just save your money and not buy anything?
I never exercised before.....I started walking a few weeks ago and feel I should be doing more.......I need a few ideas and THANK YOU!

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Suz..........I lost 30 pounds with my body weight and walking!!

I would walk walk the first 1-2 miles straight getting up my HR and getting a good work out in cardio wise.The last mile I would add strength training. Walk a 1/4 mile:do 10 squats. Walk 1/4 mile and I was at a park bench so I did 10 push ups. 1/4 mile 10 squats 10 lunges.....last one I would do 10 push ups and 10 tricep dips.

I went to a used good store called Play It Again Sports and bought some 3 lb hand weights.

The one thing I can NOT live without is my heart rate monitor (HRM). I would save my money up to buy a good one like Polar F6 with a band and watch that calculate the calories burned. They are about 100 bux so you would have to save up but that is the ONE peice of equipment I am glad I invested it!

Good luck! Your doing a great job!:flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Buy ONE kettlebell. It looks like a cannonball with a handle on top. There are many exercises you can do with it. A very good tool to help you get in shape. Start with one that weighs 15-20 lbs.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Save your money for now. You can walk more or faster or add in a little jog every now and then. Do some push-ups and sit-ups, jumping jacks, and squats.

The fact that you are doing something is wonderful. Enjoy your second chance at life, and have fun doing things that make you feel better.

Try to find some other people to get together with and share in the group dynamic. Google is your friend.

Good luck and God bless.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I really like my stability ball to do situps and weight lifting on. I use it instead of a chair at the computer and sometimes while watching a movies for a little extra workout. Start off by using water bottles or something in the house as a weight lifting tool.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Good question, you could go to the store and try things out there and decide what you like! I went to ****'s Sporting Good's here in Maine and played around with stuff for a while before settling on my exercise balls, and other things.

I jsut realized it took out the word D I C K S becuase it's a bad word! HA
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Hmmmmm....good question.
    I would probably invest in a few hand weights and maybe an exercise ball. Perhaps a good pair of running shoes.
    Whatever you decide, use it! Good Luck!

Jan AKA PoeRaven
    536659.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    I also have a heart rate monitor, and I bought mine very cheaply (about $30) on a website called woot.com. The bad news? They have one deal a day, so you'll probably have to wait and watch dilligently to get one at that particular site-- but I've seen them pop up 2-3 times in the year I've been watching the site.

Also, you can check for fitness items periodically on froogle.com, which checks a bunch of stores for you to find deals.

If you have Craigslist in your area, lots of people sell fitness stuff that they don't use there-- I got a Reebok step very cheaply that way.

As everyone said, you don't really *need* all the gear, but if you like gadgets and you're willing to shop around, you don't have to pay full retail price, either.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    THANK YOU! I really appreciate all the info/help on this. There are so many types of exercise equipment etc. and some of it is very, very expensive! I have been checking Craigs List every morning for stuff, I'd love a treadmill, but they're too expensive.
    Thanx again everyone.

SugarHi: LOL!! That's so funny!
This discussion has been closed.