Flax meal?

Options
Lugi2
Lugi2 Posts: 15
I just bought a bag a flax meal from Trader Joe's (never had any before but have heard it's good for you). I have no idea how to use it. Is it only for food substitution or can it be eaten on its own? Anyone has a recipe for it??

Replies

• MoonCrow9
    Options
    Throw a tablespoon in a fruit smoothie or add some to baked goods.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    there are many muffin/bread recipes calling for it as a substitute to regular flour. :)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I throw a tablespoon in my morning oatmeal.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it by itself... that would be gross. (Think, a mouthful of sand). I sprinkle it on top of salads, or blend it in smoothies, or mix a little in yogurt. Or you can put some in pasta , bean, quinoa salads. Basically, anything kind of 'wet'.

:smile:
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    you can throw a tablespoon in just about everything you eat.
  • Lugi2
    Lugi2 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks guys! I originally bought it to replace flour (I love baking!), so I guess it's not meant to be used that way. Well, I will just try to throw a bit in everything I eat like you guys said and see how it works :)
  • lspanhake
    Options
    I stir a tablespoon of flax in to my greek yogurt every morning, add some fresh fruit or berries a sprinkle of slivered almonds and you're good to go.
  • chadara2676
    Options
    I put it on my yougurt.
  • nsondy
    nsondy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with the yogurt and smoothie additions. It adds a nice texture that I enjoy.

Also, I add it to my bread recipes, it's yummy :)
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You can make "flax eggs" and substitute them for real eggs in some recipes. 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and you have a "flax egg."
  • Morgan803
    Morgan803 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Best thing ever, i make a batch for each day of the week,

1 banana
    1 scoop protein powder
    MIX AND MASH
    Add 1/4 cup Flax Meal

Bake 350 10 minutes, i put dark chocolate chips on mine adds 40 calories
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Use it in oatmeal - and you can use it to "bread" fish or chicken for example. Add some to your baked goods as well.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    yep, add to oatmeal, protein shakes/smoothies, baked goods..... whatever you like.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I blend some in smoothies...
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Like everyone's said so far, pretty easy to add to smoothies or just throw on top of things. I keep ground flax seeds on hand for baking in place of eggs like annepage said, because I rarely have eggs in the house (and tend to have a preference towards vegan baking anyway- you can eat the raw dough that way ha!). If you're set on using it for baking, just use the 1:3 ratio in any recipe that calls for eggs as a bonding agent (like cookies or cakes, as opposed to like a custard or something).
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Google "Muffins in a minute" Lots of quick, yummy recipes!
  • AMS44067
    Options
    There is a difference between flax meal and flax seed ground.
    I out 1 tablespoon of golden flax seed ground in my morning smoothie every day. It is fiber and helps in case you have a tendency to constipation.
    But don't get the brown flax seed ground, it did it by accident, and I threw it away, it has such a nasty smell, that I wouldn't put it anything. Make sure you get the golden flax seed ground.
    As for flax meal, you can bake with it.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    also if you bake with ground flax seed, you may need more baking powder or your preferred rising agent.