Feeling Burnt out- HELP

Options
This was my 3rd day of P90X, I have a 5 month old who is a terrible sleeper. My body is exhausted from working out and getting up 10 times a night to tend to my baby.... is there anything I can take/ eat to help get me through the day? More protein? If I wasn't dieting I'd drink a 5 hour energy drink or redbull. Coffee just wont cut it. You can see my diary and see I'm pretty good with food range. Can I add something different to help give me a boost?

Replies

• Sherman7057
    Sherman7057 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey you probably can up your calories or carbs to help.
  • motogsp
    motogsp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have been taking vitaman B complex which feels like it helps. I was doing insanity and would take an energy drink called ACG3 it is powder form and mix it with water. I felt like I had good enegry through out the day.
  • motogsp
    motogsp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    oh if you are breast feeding you may want to check with someone about the taking the energy drink not sure it will affect you but I am no DR.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Are you BFing? I would talk to your doctor before you take anything. Maybe up your protein a bit and add some more calories? I
  • tat89iana
    tat89iana Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is probably not going to help but when I'm seriously exhausted and every part of me is wore out.... I have to rest and let my body repair its self.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    vitamine B 12 is good for energy..
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Are you BFing? I would talk to your doctor before you take anything. Maybe up your protein a bit and add some more calories? I

Yes, this would make a difference....chances are you can afford to eat more calories. Or at least try eating back all your exercise calories and see how you feel after a week or two.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    From one mom to another, you probably need more sleep than anything dietary. Yes, easier said than done. (Trust me, I know!!) But maybe a couple of evenings a week, you can get in a 20 minute nap after work, or maybe a 2 hour nap on Sat/Sun. It's probably a good idea to decide what you can cut out of your week to make a bit of extra time for sleep. This isn't a permanent thing, either.

As far as dietary -- if you are BF be very careful on any energy supplements, even the "vitamins." A small amount of caffeine won't be awful, but it still can be passed to your baby (which can then make baby more wakeful at night!!), but a lot of the other things can be potentially harmful. A baby's body just doesn't metabolize things the same way.
  • niamhclem21
    niamhclem21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Your body has just made and then given birth to a child. It will not return to its pre pregnancy state in 20wks. It takes 9months to make a baby and i'm afraid it will take most of that for you to recover from the process. I would say you are doing to much if your exhausted and that this is your body's' way of saying it needs a break,

Registered Midwife (15 years)

:)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Your diary says you are set at 1220 calories. You are 26 years old with a baby and only 12 lbs to lose.

Reset your Goals here more realistically. You should be eating about 220-300 below your TDEE, which is probably around 1900-2000 if you are not breastfeeding, and more like 2400-2500 if you are.

No wonder you're exhausted! Listen to those cues!.

Here, read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

• eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    You definitely could be eating more. Your net is pretty dang low some days.

Read this and get off that 1200 cals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Your diary says you are set at 1220 calories. You are 26 years old with a baby and only 12 lbs to lose.

Reset your Goals here more realistically. You should be eating about 220-300 below your TDEE, which is probably around 1700-1800 if you are not breastfeeding, and more like 2200-2300 if you are.

No wonder you're exhausted! Listen to those cues!.

Here, read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This...I do P90X and am lucky enough to get 7-8 solid hours of sleep - and I eat 1600-1700 cals a day....Stop starving yourself, eat back some of your exercise calories...
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    like others said - depends on if you are nursing. if you are, you may just need to up your calories (although, I didn't look at your log to see how many you are eating now).

If you aren't nursing, b12 is good. you may also be a little iron deficient. try eating some raisins, spinach or lean beef.

my baby, now 2 1/2, didn't sleep thru the night until he was almost 1. It was exhausting. I sat in the pediatrician's office and cried because I was so tired around month 10. keep up the good work. maybe cut your workout back or split it into 2 sessions thru the day. you need your rest too and if you push too hard, you'll just end up making yourself susceptible to illness, etc.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    let the baby cry, no baby needs to eat ten times a night.............or be changed, i have 2 of them..............it will be fine............
  • rhalpin86
    Options
    I'm not breast feeding. I'll try and up my calories and carbs a bit. Most days what I log is more than filling. I don't want to force myself to eat!

By daughter wakes up alot at night because she loses her pacifier- we haven't started sleep training yet. So this is only temporary. Next month when she's 6 months we're doing the Cry it out method. That should be hell ontop of p90x.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When my kids were little, I craved sleep like a junkie. I'd plot to get naps in. Even a 20-minute doze could make a world of difference to my mood. Naps should be your #1 health priority right now.

You need to take care of yourself to take care of the baby. This is not the time to kick your butt with an intense diet and workout regimen. Better to focus on kinds of exercise you can easily do with baby in tow (like walking or jogging), set your calorie deficit to something like 200-300 calories, eat your exercise calories, and get plenty of rest and water.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you work out hard you have to sleep. If something isn't allowing you to sleep then you have to reduce the exercise load. If you have inadequate sleep and a heavy exercise load you will be exhausted.

Most of the body's recovery occurs during sleep. There is no way to get around it.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    have you considered co-sleeping every now and again? first of all, let me state that I am NOT an attachment parent (not that there is anything wrong with that). but my son was the same way with the pacifier. and for the record at 2 1/2 he still won't give it up. he calls it his neemer and it is his best buddy. :) at any rate, i got so that around 2 AM - or when he woke up crying nearest that time, i'd throw him into bed with me. i was also nursing, so this made it easier to feed/find pacifier in the night so i was assured at least a couple hours of sleep. i know people will adamantly tell you you should not put your baby in bed with you, but at some point, something has got to give -- otherwise you are so sleep deprived you aren't any good for anyone. (I had an older daughter who also needed a mommy who wasn't passed out on the couch after work). definitely increase the calories - sounds like you are too low for the amount of exercise you are doing added to the fact that you don't have a lot of weight to lose.
  • rhalpin86
    Options
    I My daughter to bed at 9pm- (we start nightime routine at 8pm) she wakes up at 12am or 3am. LAst night it was both 12 and 3am... I usually go to bed when she does. SO I'm gettting a broke up 6 hours of sleep. Some nights she ends up in bed with me because I just cant keep walking back and forth tending to her. She sleeps better with me anywho. I know it's bad but once she gets the ok to CIO I will stop this co-sleeping at 3am.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll try and eat more and get some naps in. Maybe take a nap in my car at lunch.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Pick up Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child. It's awesome! It's not just about letting them learn to self soothe - it has a lot to do when WHEN they go to bed. We had lots of issues with my little and then I read the book, started putting her to put at a different time and she was sleeping 13 hours straight every night. Good luck!