Is it really healthy?

Just wondering...all these "health bars"....are they really as healthy as they are said to be? Antioxidants, 35% RDA fiber, whole grain, protien, are they really any healthier than a biscuit or a poptart? This is just a friendly question and would like everyones opinion. I have tried the special k, fiber one and kellogs bars and then tried just poptarts and biscuits and I don't notice a difference personally. All the added wierd things in them that are replacing the "unhealthy" stuff in regular foods sound unhealthier than a good old regular biscuit or poptart.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Most are probably healthier than a pop-tart, but it really depends on the "bar" and the rest of your daily diet.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    I would say no personally. I stay away from those. I eat fruits, veggies, almonds etc. when you get in the processed stuff you don't know what you are getting.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I would say no personally. I stay away from those. I eat fruits, veggies, almonds etc. when you get in the processed stuff you don't know what you are getting.

I agree with this!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    What does "healthy" mean to you? All natural ingredients? Certain macros? Low cal?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    While I find it pretty much impossible to avoid highly processed foods entirely, these would be on my not worth it if I'm going to do it list. Most of these are loaded with refined sugar and are often high in sodium as well. Just eat more veg...some fruit...some whole grains and plenty of lean protein and heart healthy fats. You can get all of these things not in bar form.

Also, it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I personally don't really believe in "health" foods.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Unless you read the ingredients. :flowerforyou:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    The majority of processed/ ready made foods are absolute rubbish, read the ingredients and the nutrition box. Mist are packed with sugar and salt, the fibre and micronutrients are often added not naturally in the ingredients. You may as well ask if it's healthier to eat a large bowlful of sugar or salt the answer is no, neither.

Ask your government why Kelloggs are permitted to describe Special K as a health bar, they certainly are not in the UK - here such products are described as cereal bars or breakfast bars. But looking on the Fiber One website they are simply described as snack bars, so not sure why you are adding the word health. Advertising?
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    They're obviously hella processed (unless it's something more like a trail mix/date paste kinda thing), and they have loads of sugar. That being said, I eat several a week. They're my snack when I want junk food a lot of the time because they at least have 8-15g of protein and a decent amount of fiber. Far more than cookies/biscuits or pop tarts.

Edited to add: they also have far less calories than other sugary snacks. Largely because you can't really binge like a box/batch of cookies or a two pack of pop tarts. When the 150ish calorie bar is gone, it's gone. :smile:
  • lindawayne11
    lindawayne11 Posts: 62 Member
    I really like the organic Cascadian bars. I really don't know if they are healthier than a pop tart, but they sure taste a lot better. Pop tarts are nasty! :)
    I have one of the bars when I'm on the run and I don't have time to put something together. And I'm always on the run, it seems!
  • Fruits, veggies, brown rice ect... are a lot cheaper and BETTER! If you eat at least 50 % veggies to dinner, you don't need you're bars. You should stay away from that processed stuff :)

something to think about :) : http://flyygoldbikini.tumblr.com/image/40105642783
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    The majority of the cereal bars, granola bars or whatever you want to call them are glorified candy bars. A Peanut Butter Clif bar and a Snickers are nutritionally not that far off from each other in terms of sugar and calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    The majority of the cereal bars, granola bars or whatever you want to call them are glorified candy bars. A Peanut Butter Clif bar and a Snickers are nutritionally not that far off from each other in terms of sugar and calories.

Way to only look at part of the picture. A snickers bar is nearly identical to a large apple if you only look at the sugar content.