Suggest - Gym twice a day or once with some other exercise?

Options
Hello,

Recently I have been working out a lot i.e. hitting gymnasium 2 times a day, 1+ hour in morning and 1.5 hrs in evening. I decided for a change 2 weeks back and then started on gym and diet. My goal is to lose 40-45 pounds in total. Working out at gym I do see some change in myself but do get tired by burning 800-900 calories per day with net food intake of 1100-1200.

What would be the best to lose around 30 pounds in 3-4 month? Should I continue working out 2 times a day in gym or should I go to gym once and do some DVD exercises like hip hop or insanity in the evening?

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Exercise once a day. You're going to over train and burn yourself out. Your motivation more than likely will burn out also.

I would also suggest eating a few hundred more calories/day. You're going to slow your metabolism with what you're doing.

It took me 5 months to lose the 27 lbs that I initially lost. I did it the slow, steady, healthy way- that's where the most success comes from. You didn't gain the weight in 3 months, so it's not going to come off that quickly, either.

If you want motivation, start taking measurements and pictures of yourself every 2-3 weeks to mark your progress. When you feel like you aren't getting anywhere, reference those pics & numbers. They can be a good confidence booster.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Try once a day (an hour to an hour and a half) and net 1400. It'll be more sustainable, because your plan sounds exhausting. It's good to see you're enthusiastic, but if you overwork yourself, your body may refuse to lose so quickly.

Actually, if you're netting calories anyway, you don't need to work out nearly as much. Just make sure you're at a deficit. A 1400 calorie diet + 300-400 exercise calories a day allows you to eat 1700-1800. That's a decent amount of food.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Unless (even if) you live next door to the gym, I don't see doing it twice a day to be sustainable in the long term. One exception would be my uncle. When he was homeless he was always at the gym!
  • pennysaurus
    pennysaurus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Workout once a day, up your calorie intake and take at least one day off a week. Simples :-)
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Well your goal may be a tad aggressive in the first place. 30 pounds in 3 months is a very aggressive goal and likely not one you'll achieve. Regardless, 2.5 hours in the gym everyday is probably going to catch up with you. Either you'll over-train and your body will say enough is enough (injuries, muscle soreness, etc) or mentally you'll get burned out. If you want to get that much activity in every day that's great but I would look at doing some kind of sports or other organized activity to fill some of that time. Play basketball, soccer, something. Get on a bike and go riding through some trails. Somehow find an activity that you can do where it is about enjoyment of the activity rather than trying to get exercise. That'll help you sustain it for the long term.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    What are you doing at the gym? That makes a difference in my answer as to what to do if you feel you must exercise twice. However once is fine.
    With what you are netting though, if you are not going to exercise less I would suggest eating more.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ideally if I could I would do cardio in the AM and Strength in the PM. Working out twice a day every day may be too much, but i think 4-5 days a week as long as your are not overtraining the same muscles everyday could get you great results! I wish I could do that!! AM workouts are not effective for me...I like my pillow better at 5am :)

Good Luck!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    You are working out too much considering your calorie intake.

You don't need to do that.. Eat in a deficit....workout , eat back your calories (if following MFPs set up).
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i work out twice a day and eat 1300 to 1400 calories a day. However, they are short workouts, each 30 minutes and a 50 min walk at night. I have lost 33 lbs doing this, but it has taken me abt five months to lose that much. pace yourself so you dont burn out.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Quality exercise, such as HIIT (high intensity interval training) and heavy strength training is much more efficient than quantity..2.5 hours of less than 100% effort isn't as beneficial or efficient.

Instead, I would have a great hour long workout with cardio & strength and then just make sure I move throughout the day, maybe add an evening walk or some yoga at night. Hope this helps :smile:
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Why not just once a day? It is not necessary to spend hours at the gym to get results. In my experience, nutrition is 70-80% of the battle and exercise 20-30%
  • nightbird1103
    nightbird1103 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Why not just once a day? It is not necessary to spend hours at the gym to get results. In my experience, nutrition is 70-80% of the battle and exercise 20-30%

I have to agree. The saying goes "you can't out-train a bad diet." Once per day at a challenging level should do you just fine in the gym.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

I have to agree. The saying goes "you can't out-train a bad diet." Once per day at a challenging level should do you just fine in the gym.

"at a challenging level " This is key! Don't be one of those reading a book or a magazine in the elliptical or treadmill. And if you lift weights, lift something that is challenging. The last 3 reps should be hard!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i would go three days total body workouts (arms, shoulders, legs, back, etc) and two days cardio (HIIT or steady state)....once you start seeing good results ...three months..you can back off the cardio and go more strength training.if that is what you want to do ...i would also bump up your cals a little...
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Exercise once a day. You're going to over train and burn yourself out. Your motivation more than likely will burn out also..