sweet potatoes

Options
youngs
youngs Posts: 250 Member
I am planning on making baked sweet potatoes for dinner today..but the problem is I am not a fan of sweet potatoes..unless they was covered with brown sugar, butter, marshmellows and pecans..but I want to try to get to eating them with out all of that stuff on them so I was wondering if any of you can tell me how you fix them..to make them nice and yummy..

Replies

• jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I HATE baked sweet potatoes, but absolutely love sweet potato fries. Not sure of a good recipe though, but am sure you could find one online.
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have baked sweet potatoes with baked beans and a spinkle of grated cheese. Yum.

And I'm from UK and can honestly say I ahve never heard of swet potato with anything sweet, let alone brown sugar, butter, marshmellows and pecans !!
  • ema21043
    ema21043 Posts: 45
    Options
    I loved baked sweet potatoes. I bake them on a very high heat 450 until done. They are so tender and sweet baked at this heat you don't need to put anything on them. But as an alternative I sometime take them out of their skins once backed and mash them up a little with some brown sugar twin and crushed pineapple. Hope you enjoy!
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    I also love sweet potato fries! I don't follow any recipe.... just cut into fry size, use olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake them. They come out great.
  • amonroe2005
    Options
    I absolutely love bake sweet potatoes....if you want to cut back on the sugar try a tbsp of honey...also I bake them until they are very very tender that brings out the natural sweetness...also try bake potato fries but baked, not fried
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I love baked sweet potatoes!! I like to top mine w/ cottage cheese or plain yogurt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice (you could add some sweetener if you like also).

My hubby and kids like theirs w/ a little brown sugar and cinnamon. :wink:
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    If you must have them sweet try making your own honey butter - but I'd recommend portioning out the honey butter before you sit down to eat so you don't overdo it. I also add cinnamon - really adds to the flavor and makes you think you're having something sweeter than you actually are.

I also make sweet potato baked fries - just spritz them with oil and put them in the oven - sometimes I finish them under the broiler for a little crispness.

note to SuzMch: if you ever travel to the southern U.S. look out for sweet potatoes on the menu - they will be REALLY sweet.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    I make my sweet potato fries like this:

Cut sweet potato lengthwise into "fry" size bits, some big for awesome taste and some smaller for crunchiness. For one potato's worth, I drizzele half a Tbsp. of olive oil and then coat them in the pan by hand. I sprinkle some cayenne pepper on top, roll them around by hand again, and then bake at 425 for half an hour. Delish!
  • mlally1014
    mlally1014 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just grilled some sweet potatoes last night. Just microwave until a little soft so you can slice them. Then I combined some cumin, paprika, cinnamon, chipotle and a little salt with a little olive oil. Brushed on the potatoes and grilled until soft and nicely grilled. They were delicious
    If you have to have them sweet try baking them and using a little sugar free maple syrup
    Or pumpkin pie spice
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I love them cut up and roasted with a little olive oil, chopped vidalia onion, pepper, a little sea salt and fresh rosemary! YUM!!! Also you could cut them into french fry shape (carefully) and make some honey mustard sauce for dipping :) Let us know what you do and how they come out. :flowerforyou:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I take the baked sweet potatoe, add real butter and mash. Add a little pepper and cinamon and it is great.
  • Capucine7
    Capucine7 Posts: 40
    Options
    My kids won't eat sweet potatoes alone. So I make a mash potato mixture. Sweet potatoes, carrots, ruttabaga and maybe an ordinary potato or two. Mash it up like you would prepare ordinary mash potatoes. My whole family loooooves it and lots of vitamins.
  • hallswan
    hallswan Posts: 90
    Options
    I have a sweet potato based salad - which is

- sweet potato
    - Red onions
    - Feta cheese
    - Pine nuts
    - Mustard
    - balsamic vinager
    - Olive Oil

Mixed together - it comes in at around 450 cals - but is really filling and is a great lunch or dinner especially in the summer
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I like my sweet potatoes w/ a spicy flavor. Try mxing butter w/ some chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and some cayanne? Maybe even some corriander to lighten it up! a tad of gran. sugar and salt would be good to to round all the flavors. Just bake 'em like normal, melt your butter and mix your spices in (either put in the fridge to harden after or serve by drizzling melted butter)

Good luck!
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like to bake a sweet potato and add cajun seasoning and serving. So yummy :)
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I bake them and spread a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese on it. I also make sweet potato fries, which are sooo yummy. Sometimes I cut them into wedges, toss them with a small amount of olive oil and chili powder and roast them.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love love love sweet potatoes!!!! Baked at a very high heat until very tender then add a small amount of unsalted butter and pumpkin pie spice. YUM!!! I also love sweet potato fries but have never made them. I'll have to try some of the recipes below.
  • bnfberman
    Options
    I just use spray butter, though you could probably add cinamon and a few walnut halves for very few calories.
  • hlanders
    hlanders Posts: 50
    Options
    I have never had sweet potatoes with marshmellows ...or anything sweet either...
    I steam them in my steamer...then butter, salt and pepper...My kids love them.....or make a soup with them...blend them up and add potatoes all blended....and whatever other veggie...some spices and you are off to the races!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    My fiancee made this one day, sorry not sure of the recipe. You can google it i'm sure.

She baked the sweet potato and banana - When done, mashed both together with some agave nectar syrup (could use honey), then put back in casserole dish and top with chopped pecans and some brown sugar.
    Back in the oven for a bit longer. It was delicious.