dealing with a cashier *caution, bad language

Options
124»

Replies

• stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options

7) Take your stuff out of the basket!! Don't just plop it on the counter and proceed to pick your nose!
    Does this one really make cashier's mad? I do it at the grocery store all the time, but they never say anything to me.

Maybe not the slow-pokes who have a ten minute conversation with every customer that comes to their register, but for the rest of us yeah, it's pretty annoying. When customers do that at my register I'll look at the basket and then at them and if they don't take the hint I just dump everything out.

The one that REALLY annoys me is when they come along with a cart load of stuff and expect me to take everything out of the cart for them. I had one customer do this twice. The first time I just took my hand scanner over and scanned everything from in the cart, told him the total and handed him the receipt as he asked me "Aren't you gonna bag everything?". I said he would have to put everything up on the belt so I could bag it and he said "Oh nevermind!" and grabbed an empty bag and left. The second time was a few days later, I guess he didn't recognize me at first. He pushed his cart up and just stood there like he had the first time, but this time I didn't budge. He let out a huge sigh and started putting his stuff on the belt and didn't say a word the entire time.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling you're going to be "just a cashier" (YOUR words, not mine!) for a very long time. Good luck with that.
  • runningwiththepups
    Options
    #11 so much!!! I had far too many people do that!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

7) Take your stuff out of the basket!! Don't just plop it on the counter and proceed to pick your nose!
    Does this one really make cashier's mad? I do it at the grocery store all the time, but they never say anything to me.
    They're not allowed to say anything to you. They're in customer service.

But, yeah, it sucks when people do that. It's extremely difficult to reach everything in there and it makes it difficult to bag because you can't see everything. I HATED when people did that to me when I was a cashier. Also the people who would put their huge, heavy things on the belt. They only had to lift it once. I had to life huge, heavy things from weird angles all day and stand for hours at a time after doing it. There are scanning guns for those items. Leave them in the cart!
  • ameline7
    Options
    All these things can be very annoying, but the worst I come across at my job are really terribly awkward contractors. Hint guys... The line "Oh I am ready to be checked out ;)" isn't very original. If you are legit interested in asking out a cashier, don't do it this way XD.

But if you just wanna do that, that's okay too, just don't expect a date. However, when you proceed to rip off your jacket saying "it is time for me to check you out!" and you are at least 15 years older than the checker, you are being super creepy XD /just my two cents on the issue
  • saraxx16
    saraxx16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to work at walmart AMEN
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Ahaha! I work at a movie theater, and some of these are VERY relatable! Especially about the damn rewards card and prices.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes, to all of this! I work in retail and every one of these is so true. Even the first customer of the day. No, the customer didn't do anything wrong, it's just the way it is for some odd reason. I will be nice to you. I will smile and chit-chat, but there's still a part of me that's aggravated. I can't explain it but others working in retail understand what I mean.

As for taking stuff out of the basket, I completely agree again. In my store, we have bags and it is a PAIN to unload your bag. It takes longer too and holds up the line.

I have two more to add: Just because I stand behind a cash register doesn't mean I'm less of a person. I'm just like you. I have a mortgage, kids, a LIFE just like you. And guess what? I also have a college degree. I"m not there because I dropped out of school. I'm not there because I can't find another job. I'm there because this job fits my OTHER job's schedule and I truly do like what I do (in my case I'm a manager, but I do cashier when needed).

One more: Don't walk in 5 minutes before we close, grab a bag and start wandering through the store. See my point above: I have a life. I don't live at the store. I want to go home to my family and kids and I've been on my feet, running my *kitten* off all day.

Thanks for this laugh. I needed it tonight.
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha so many of these are relevant to all customer service jobs! People are freaking idiots!
  • Sharon_C
    Options
    Sorry, can't co-sign on this! As long as I'm attentive, moving promptly, and not loud, I don't think I necessarily get off of the phone. It's not like I'm ordering food or something. I say my hello/thank you/goodbye and pay for my stuff without issue, so what's it to you if I'm on the phone?
    But then again, my phone calls are usually succinct. I'm the sorta person who had a 100 min/month plan for years and barely used half of it. I have 300m/mo now, but only because that the minimum allotment with unlimited text/data plan ($35/mo).

As a cashier we have several things we have to do and SEVERAL things we have to say to you. We have goals we have to meet (signing so many people up for the awards club, asking for add-ons, just to name a few). If you're on the phone, we can't do this. If we can't do this, we can't meet our goals and our goals are tied into our reviews, our reviews are tied to our pay increases.
  • Sharon_C
    Options
    Remember, stay in school, kids.

YUP!! :wink:

This irritated me. I did stay in school. I have a college degree and I utilize my degree in my work. See? This is what I mean by people looking down on you because you stand behind a cash register.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    and how about you hang up your friggin phone and not act like i'm a non-human. the person on the other end of the line will understand "hold on a second, i just got to the front of the line."

These people piss me off, or texting while the cashier waits for you to look up so you can pay. you are NOT that important... seriously phones away until your done please. I hate waiting I have *kitten* to do.

when i worked at coldstone and baskin robbins i never helped someone while they were on the phone. theyd get mad but i never cared. i have work todo im not gonna wait for u to finish your non-important phone convo. lol
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Not taking your stuff out of the basket, and dumping that dirty basket that's often kicked around the floor, on a conveyor belt meant for food is a filthy habit. We have notices asking customers to place their shopping items on the counter. People still basket dump without turning a hair.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I Love This.. I have been a cashier for 8 yrs. and I can't believe how many ignorant people there are!! thanks for the chuckle!!
  • MamaToChey
    Options
    To say, "stay in school" usually speaks to an individual's ignorance or dare I say guilt lol. Not everyone behind a cash register is uneducated. While there are common annoyances dealing with the public, I train my associates to be mindful that the only attitude they can control is theirs and having that control goes a long way in any situation. Customer service is a tough field but someone has to do it. The bottom line is: treat people with respect. So many customers feed into the idea that because they are on the other side of the register it gives them the right to be rude. Ummm, no it doesn't.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    All of that is amazing. I agree with everything. Those are the things I don't miss about being a cashier but I still have to deal with similar situations now...
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can relate to your frustration. Sometimes it helps to vent.
    Maybe it is time to look for another job? Remember the flight attendant who just couldn't take it any more?
    The two of you are like heroes! I am in the medical field and I have my moments too.
    We all do to a certain degree.

Hang in there! :flowerforyou: