Will cutting grains and sugar help me to lose weight?

Options
I have fluctuated about 15-20 pounds in the last couple of years, and I have lately been at the higher end of that range. I have tried lots of exercise, have been eating healthier (I am not a fan of calorie counting, because I used to have an eating disorder, but I am doing it now to get some accountability back into my life).

I have decided that possibly if I eat a "lower carb" diet it might be the push I need to lose these 10-15 pounds.

My stats are:

CW: 140.5 lbs GW: 125-130
5'3"
Exercise: Rock climbing 2-3 days a week for about 30 minutes each of actual exercise
cardio and or hiit - 2-4 days a week
bike to work everyday
weights -2 days a week

I am wondering if I don't necessarily stick to the calorie restriction that MFP gives me (1450 calories a day seems really low to lose 1-2 pounds a week! Even with a lot of veggies in my diet it feels depriving!!), and I generally eat all my exercise calories back.

Main question here: Has anyone had success eating intuitively and not necessarily eating under or at your calorie goal just by eliminating most grains, high carb vegetables and fruit, and most sugar?

I have got my net carbs to about 75-100 per day which is a big step for me but it seems like it isn't as low as alot of other people are seemingly able to accomplish...

I am eating mainly veggies, berries, cheese, tofu/fake meat, chicken breast, fish, eggs, salads and salad dressing, nuts, my morning coffee with soymilk and hot cocoa and 2-4 squares of chocolate at night to relax .... I can give my password out if anyone wants to see what I am eating.

THANK YOU whomever can provide some wisdom!!

Replies

• bookdame
    Options
    *bump*
  • bookdame
    Options
    *bump*
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If you cut starchy carbs you need to substantially increase nuts and seeds to compensate for the lost minerals and fibre, don't underestimate how much you need. Nutrition is not as simple as 'just' eliminating food groups.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    If it creates a caloric deficit, yes.
  • bookdame
    Options
    I have been eating roasted almonds, sunflower seeds and peanut butter.

I think I am eating less than before. I never go to bed full-- just satisfied. I hope it makes enough of a difference because I am never under my calorie goal. I either hit it or go over a hundred or two hundred cals.