The Writing Diet

Has anyone tried "The Writing Diet?" It's a book by Julia Cameron who wrote the Artists Way and the theory is that creativity fills the space that is now filled by eating. Or something like that.

Anyone tried it, heard of it or had success or failure with it?

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    I think distraction totally works but it doesn't have to be writing - not everyone is talented or has a lot to say that way. I am personally much better of at the piano or at PS3 games or reading.
    But the idea of changing the eating hobby to another hobby I believe is sort of a long term solution to a healthy life so I totally agree with that.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    never heard of it, but I've done creative writing for most of my life, and still became obese because I ate rubbish. (back at a healthy weight now though through healthy eating, portion control and exercise) If anything, writing doesn't help much because it's a sedentary activity. however it helps to keep me sane, and i don't spend the whole day writing, I get up and do active stuff as well.

However if someone has a problem with comfort eating and writing helps them to find a better way to comfort themselves than eating junk then I'm all for it :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I like sewing. When I have a sewing project, I will easily forget to eat.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,644 Member
    one would think the time would be better used in some sort of physical activity as oppsosed to sitting at a computer or notepad...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I write as a profession and a hobby. It didn't stop me from gaining weight. Though I've never been a binger or emotional eater.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    When I'm alone in my room, sometimes I stare at the wall

I need carbs
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Sounds like a good distraction, and that's what keeps me in my calorie goal, lol. If only i were good at painting/drawing....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Dear Diary,

20c/14f/29p

Sincerely,
    Sidesteal.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Dear Diary,

20c/14f/29p

Sincerely,
    Sidesteal.
    LMAO
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    I mean, figuring out the emotional stuff is super important (IMO) but it's not going to make any difference unless you do the physical work.