Girl Scout Cookies

Options
13»

Replies

• tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Ex-career GS here... next time you're bothered to buy the ridiculously expensive delectable treats, tell that sweet, smiling, and learning-to-enterprise little girl that you shouldn't eat them, so instead of buying, you'd like to donate the cost of x amount of boxes to the troop. Make sure you ask them what they are saving their troop funds for. GS cookies are more than just thin mints and samoas (caramel delights). Cookie sales are actually used to teach young girls how to set goals for themselves, earning and saving money, and gives them the opportunity to network and work on social skills. The girls only get a small amount of profit from their cookies. (The council also gets a good portion which is uses toward giving girls opportunities, programs, etc.) But when you donate instead of buying, the girls get the full amount, and you're not left feeling guilty for eating that entire sleeve of thin mints in one sitting!

That was probably more info than you were probably looking for... so if you're rolling your eyes, just disregard all that and hear me commiserating... :)

Yes, please follow this advise! I have a senior troop and a Brownie troop. These girls put alot of work into these cookie sales. The five skills girls “learn by doing” through product sales are:
    * goal setting
    * decision making
    * money management
    * people skills
    * business ethics
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Meh, you can pretty much get any variety of GS cookies from any grocery store's cookie aisle (from various brands) all year. Nothing really special.

Wait! You can get Samoa's year round?
    Yep. For instance, at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Caramel-Coconut-Fudge-Cookies-8.5-oz/21501677
    These even have a few less calories. You can pretty much find the same thing at just about any grocery store (I just picked Walmart because it was the only one I could think of that has a website that actually shows in store product.) You can pretty much find any GS cookie type in a generic store brand.

BUT... Do you help a girl grow when you purchase at Walmart?
    The five skills girls “learn by doing” through product sales are:
    * goal setting
    * decision making
    * money management
    * people skills
    * business ethics