Nutritious filliing foods

Options
I am looking for ideas to be shared between us all.

What foods do you eat that would be considered both nutritious and filling?

I do eat a lot of vegetables and salads, so fairly obvious stuff.

I also love light Mozarella, which helps satisfy my cheese cravings (am a life long cheese addict).

But as I am new to this, I haven't really discovered what I can fill up with beyond the obvious fruit and vegetables.

So what do the rest of you eat? I really need some variety :(

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• taranj21
    taranj21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    chobani yogurt, has 14g of protein, very filling for a snack.
    grilled chicken with veggies, or fish is a must for dinners...
    celery with peanut butter
    i've been making a smoothie consisting of
    1 cup acai berry juice, 1 cup frozen berries, 1 banana, and 1 kiwi,
    delicious!!!
  • Nurturegirl
    Nurturegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, Here are my suggestions:
    Porridge,

Low sugar and salt, wholemeal cereals
    Rice cakes
    Beans and lentils
    Baked Potatoes
    Rice, preferably wholegrain
    Pasta without oily dressings
    Cous Cous

I hth!
  • Lvendes
    Options
    I like the Cobani yogurts too so here is my other items
    -oatmeal (fiber really fills you up)
    -apples and peanut butter
    -celery with whipped cream cheese (you get more per serving)
    - turkey lettuce wraps with cucumbers and hummus

I am on a gluten Free diet so I do not have many carb options for you...lol Good luck
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have an omelet every morning made with 1egg + 1egg white, half a slice of provolone, and a slice of deli ham.

I haven't banished anything from my diet because for me this is a lifestyle change and there is no way I am giving up cheesecake for the rest of my life! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said,

I like pistachios, peanuts (or peanut butter), rice cakes, cheese sticks (I go for the full fat ones because the light ones taste weird to me), cottage cheese, greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, carrots and hummus, popcorn if I am starving because it is super filling!, and I LOVE beef jerky!
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Beans and quinoa!
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    chobani greek yogurt, protein shakes (I buy the premiere protein chocolate from Costco or make my own), hard boiled eggs, apples and peanut butter, mini babybel light, almonds, string cheese with a slice of deli meat wrapped around it.
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    I do yogurts w/ ground flaxseed and a 1/2 TBSP of chia seeds and it keeps me for hours!!! The chia seeds have been a game changer for me.
  • vinneeee
    vinneeee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A huge *kitten* steak
  • lkocher01
    lkocher01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Marzetti has a greek yogurt vegetable dip that is really good. I buy the carrot chips that you can find where the bagged salads are. It's a great snack. Sometimes, if I need carbs, I will buy the peppridge farm baked crackers, or baked tostitos and salsa---just don't deprive yourself. That always backfires on me. Good luck.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Horizon Organic 2% Chocolate Milk - you can buy a case of them at BJ's and each serving has like 150 calories, 8 grams of protein, and calcium of course. Yummy and filling! I need to stock up on these, I like drinking one after a workout.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for things that fill you up and keep you full, look for foods higher in protein. Carbohydrates provide quick-burning fuel, but protein provides slow-burning long-term fuel. So go for cheeses, meats, fish, chicken, eggs, nuts, mushrooms.

My favorite quick snacks to have on hand are hard-boiled eggs or Laughing Cow cheese wedges (the new strawberry flavor is amazing).

My favorite healthy, filling supper: in the morning, throw a handful of veggies in your crock pot, cover with water, then coat a pork chop with mustard or some other flavoring (BBQ? whatever you like) and throw it on top. Cook on low for 8-9 hrs and it's ready to eat when you get home from work.
    I also like to brown some ground beef or chicken and add it to broccoli cheese soup for a hearty, healthy meal.
    You can experiment endlessly with putting different spices, cheeses, and vegetable combinations in your omelets.

Good luck!
  • missyme10
    missyme10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks, some really good ideas, things I would never have thought of myself.

Keep them coming, lots of ideas for my shopping trip :)
  • dmf1996
    dmf1996 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that I can get very satisfied by making a chili with 2# of ground lean beef or turkey. To that I add 15-16 ozs of diced tomatoes and the same size diced chili tomatoes, 8-10 ozs diced chilis, 15-16 ozs chili beans with the beef or 15-16 ozs plain white beans for the turkey. I also add sauteed onion and peppers, etc for a filler. Add a package of chili seasoning and a cup of 2% shredded cheese for smoothness. Add liquid for whatever consistency you might want. Simmer on the stove or in the microwave for 20 minutes.

Since I had gastro lapband surgery in 2009 to limit the amount I can eat at each meal, I can only eat very small amounts of food at a time - 1/2 to1-1/4 cup. I eat about 5 small meals a day, mostly snacks like yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, scrambled eggs and 2% cheese, etc. When I get very hungry, a cup of chili really gives me a very comfortable feeling. Homemade soups with broth, vegetables, finely diced meat of some kind also satisfy me.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    any protein with brown rice, whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes. Throw in olive oil for healthy fat. Choose the amount of each to based on your macro goals.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    A stir fry of SHIRITAKI noodles (check them out online!! Only 40 cals for a whole 1/2lb package!) , lots of veggies, and whatever protein you prefer (chicken, shrimp, pork). Add a tbs of your fave sauce and you have a delicious, super filling meal.

*check out my diary-- I"ve been eating this same thing (or a variation of) for the last 3-4 days! Sooo good!!!
  • mforsis
    mforsis Posts: 41
    Options
    apple and 1 tbsp peanut butter (100% peanuts no salt)
    cold steamed broccoli or cooked (can be cold) asparagus and tahini (soya sauce and peanut butter)
    2 rye crisp crackers and a bit of butter
    2 oz of meat protein with some vegetables eaten at 2 o'clock and 4 o'clock if I am really hungry between meals of noon and 6 pm

I am trying to watch glycemic index of foods to not spike my blood sugar. I have heard 2 fruits eaten at the same time is more than twice the sugar of each alone. Haven't checked that yet.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I made some ground chicken lettuce wraps for dinner last night, cook the chicken and saute whatever veggies you like in another pan , i used mushrooms, red cabbage, green onions, shredded carrots , green cabbage, red inions ect and use stirfry sauce in the ground chicken while you cooking it and then serve on romaine lettuce leaves, low carb choice..:smile:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Eat a little fat, protein, and carbs all together. Helps you feel satisfied the most!
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Make soup!

I just made one tonight that came out to only 170 calories per 2 cup serving, and 23g of protein! It was just chicken breast, cabbage, carrots, onion, celery, corn, chicken broth, and spices. It's easy, healthy, and filling. And it's good for using up leftovers or random stuff you have around the house. I made this one because I had half a head of cabbage that needed to be used. I also make minestrone with sausage, chili with ground turkey or lean beef, chicken chili with chipotles in adobo sauce, lentil soup with sausage, there's all kinds of stuff you can make. Then you can freeze it in individual servings and always have quick healthy meals when you need one.
  • HollywoodDJ
    Options
    Some snacks that have really helped me get over the mid-day hunger hump have been Crystal Farms Light String cheese packet with an apple....The fiber plus the protein helps me to make it to supper....also 1/2 cup of cottage cheese helps tremendously too.

St. Joseph's Lavish Flat bread (looks like a wrap or tortilla) is only 50 calories for 1/2 wrap and they are big in size so 1/2 is plenty but if you are starving and want a whole wrap sandwich an extra 50 calories won't break you...load that baby up with veggies and turkey or chicken or ham...whatever you want. Also...low calorie bread has been a life saver for me.

Good luck hun...I know how hard it is to change eating habits. I am still struggling and I started march 1st. The weight tapered off for me the last 4 months since I lost my dad but I am trying to get back on track again.