My TDEE- Is this accurate?

Options
Before anyone refers me to read the "roadmap" topic I already did & I followed all of his instructions exactly as explained but I'm still confused about something. And yes I did try asking this question under that posting but nobody ever answered so I am hoping that someone can please help me here.

I have only been eating 1200 calories based on MFP calculations. I ran my numbers which shows that I obviously need more calories but if I have read all of the information correct then I think I messed up somewhere. Basically I need to eat more then my BMR but less then the TDEE correct? Here's what I got:
Age 28
Height: 65"
Current Weight: 155lbs (also used this as my goal as instructed)
Body Fat: 25.9%

Harris-Benedict- 1503
Katch-McArdle- 1499

For now I'm just using sedentary since I haven't really started working out yet & having some health issues. So that is 1804.
Now I subtract the 20% which gives me 1444? That is less then my BMR so is that correct or did I mess something up?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No. You did it right.

But since the number you get (1444) is below your BMR (1500), that means a 20% deficit is too ambitious for you.

So, you should use a smaller percent.

Doing a simple 250 cal a day deficit isn't too shabby. That is half a pound a week. 1800 - 250 = 1550.

As an aside, those are very similar to my numbers.
  • eichhorst
    eichhorst Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No. You did it right.

But since the number you get (1444) is below your BMR (1500), that means a 20% deficit is too ambitious for you.

So, you should use a smaller percent.

Doing a simple 250 cal a day deficit isn't too shabby. That is half a pound a week. 1800 - 250 = 1550.

As an aside, those are very similar to my numbers.

Thank you for your help. I knew the 1444 didn't look right being under my BMR so I was afraid I did something wrong. I will try setting my goal to your number (1550) for a couple weeks & see how it goes. I have been at a plateu for almost 3 months & couldn't figure out why, since I read that topic I think I now have it figured out.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I knew the 1444 didn't look right being under my BMR so I was afraid I did something wrong. I will try setting my goal to your number (1550) for a couple weeks & see how it goes. I have been at a plateu for almost 3 months & couldn't figure out why, since I read that topic I think I now have it figured out.

You might want to try eating maintenance for a week first. 3 days at maintenance, 1 days at a 250 surplus, and 3 days at maintenance.

From there, then go down to 1550.

Reason being that your body's hormones could be the main culprit (cortisol levels in prolonged deficits under BMR). Raising calories a little might not repair the hormonal imbalance and thus do nothing to stop the plateau. So, going maintenance and surplus on 1 day may be enough to get the body back on track internally.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump