hairy dieter cook book

2»

Replies

• andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Not available in the US? ;_;

Or just not on Amazon? Any Americans out there know?

The name of this cook book intrigues me, lol.

The guys who devised the book are a couple of 'traditional' guys from the north east of England who cook proper hearty traditional meals and call themselves the Hairy Bikers. They needed to lose some weight themselves so they basically tweaked their usual recipes and called the book The Hairy Dieters.

This is their website http://www.hairybikers.com/
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Not available in the US? ;_;

Or just not on Amazon? Any Americans out there know?

The name of this cook book intrigues me, lol.

The guys who devised the book are a couple of 'traditional' guys from the north east of England who cook proper hearty traditional meals and call themselves the Hairy Bikers. They needed to lose some weight themselves so they basically tweaked their usual recipes and called the book The Hairy Dieters.

This is their website http://www.hairybikers.com/

You are awesome! Thank you!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    You're welcome, enjoy. Let me know if you need any translations on any of the recipes, lol! I'm actually from the same corner of the world as these two lovely chappies and some of the things mentioned might have you thinking wtf!!!
  • MummyMikaela
    MummyMikaela Posts: 130 Member
    I have bought the book now an highly recommend it!

we are having the Spanish chicken tonight, all in one pan - perfect!

I've had the jambalaya a couple of times now which is lovely, although you need quick cook rice - learn't this that hard (rice) way!
  • Donna_Houghton
    Donna_Houghton Posts: 62 Member
    Can't reccommend the book enough. I've made loads out of it but my favourites are the Chicken Stew and the Prawn Coconut Curry. So good and easy to make. Yum!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    A lot of their recipes are available for free on the BBC website too (just make sure you look for the ones from their Hairy Dieters series as their earlier shows had some very delicious but calorifically naughty recipes).

I did the Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe last week and while it was delicious, there was a lot of sugar in it. I fully applaud what they are doing and will probably buy the book but I do think some of the lower calories are due to portion size, rather than the ingredients they use. Either way, if it encourages people to cook from fresh - and to cook real, not 'diet', food that their whole family will eat - then it is a good thing.

And Si and Dave are ace!
  • Jpmortondiet
    Jpmortondiet Posts: 1 Member
    Check this amended Hairy Dieters recipe......

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/20507040
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    I got this book for Christmas, but as yet not tried any of the recipes - think it's about time I got stuck in! :)
  • rose_ruby
    rose_ruby Posts: 37 Member
    I've cooked one of the currys.....it was AWFUL!
    really wanting to try the cornish pasties with pizza base mix and the lasagne with leek.
  • cathers_
    cathers_ Posts: 70
    I've made a couple of meals from this and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone. Time consuming but lovely low cal meals
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    The lasagne is ingenious!!!! So delicious! It's huge too and being a family of 3, we froze half of it and had it the following week too lol! My family also very highly rates the roasted cod with parma ham and peppers and the chilli lemon tuna with broccoli spaghetti. The meatballs also go down very well too! :smile:
  • H1L5
    H1L5 Posts: 55 Member
    I love the Spanish Chicken only 370 calories a portion so even ok for a 5:2 fast day. A friend made me the fish stew and that was delicious I'll be making it myself soon too.
  • theconstantgardener
    theconstantgardener Posts: 59 Member
    IT'S SO GREAT. You get proper portions...I was so full after making the sweet 'n' sour chicken last night (and so was my brother which says A LOT) and the Spanish chicken is to die for. I couldn't recommend this more. They certainly don't substitute flavour at all :)
  • susiepet
    susiepet Posts: 68
    I love the Hairy Bikers (although they are all over TV like a rash at the moment) but didn't buy the book - which sounds like a mistake. The only bit that got me was that the two of them ate only 1200 calories a day on their weight loss programme and exercised - and given one of them is about 6' 2" and the other 5' 11" that seemed awfully low....

I can report that the current series - everyday gourmet - shows them looking a bit heavier than when the diet series finished - and the cream and butter are back in force!

Oh well - maybe they aren't on mfp? :ohwell:

Sue
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    I've looked at the book but not purchased yet so your recommendation s have help!

Thanks

I live in the states and just purchased the book through Amazon - looking forward to trying many of the recipes