Oil on natural peanut butter

Options
I recently took the plunge to ditch the Skippy and go all-natural with Smucker's peanut butter. I was expecting the layer of oil when I opened the jar, but I wasn't expecting it to be so difficult to mix in! I made a mess, then ended up pouring most of the oil away. Am I supposed to do that? The peanut butter now seems rather solid and dry... Any tips for tackling my next jar?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Buy the stuff you don't have to stir
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    The oil needs to be mixed in...

When I open a new jar up, I use a butter knife to mix the oil into the peanutbutter. The knife allows you to get deeper into the jar--it takes a few minutes but it will mix in eventually. I usually stir and poke it slowly so the oil doesn't go all over the outside. Once it is mixed I put the cap back on and put in the fridge prior to use.
  • nsondy
    nsondy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always mix mine when it's at room temperature, then put it in the refridgerator. I've never managed to not spill some of the oil, but I usually use a butter knife or fork and that works best. It usually won't separate again after that. Also, you can buy some naturals that won't separate if you don't want to deal with it. I like Maranatha Organics No Stir PB.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

This^^ Typically the organics don't need stirring and they are only about an extra $1.50
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Other brands are better..

Try adams or natural stuff the store makes..

wild organic brand is one I use too.

I started with smuckers too.. with a name like smuckers it has to be good..

To salvage it?? idk.. maybe put a little oil in there and mix it?
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    someone posted a tip about this. he said he tips the jar over a few days, then when it is opened, the oil has moved through to the bottom. It sounds like it will work well :)
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The oil needs to be mixed in...

When I open a new jar up, I use a butter knife to mix the oil into the peanutbutter. The knife allows you to get deeper into the jar--it takes a few minutes but it will mix in eventually. I usually stir and poke it slowly so the oil doesn't go all over the outside. Once it is mixed I put the cap back on and put in the fridge prior to use.

This is what I do.
  • kristanb05
    Options
    someone posted a tip about this. he said he tips the jar over a few days, then when it is opened, the oil has moved through to the bottom. It sounds like it will work well :)

GENIUS!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    we buy the big jars of Adams at costco and my husband just puts a wooden spoon on the end of his drill and mixes it that way..starts out slowly and then goes full speed lol the kids love it. ill have to try storing it upside down for a couple days first though, that sounds genius
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Just add some oil to it and mix it in.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    To make your natural PB no stir:
    Stir the oil in using a butter knife - don't worry about getting it perfect. Throw the jar in the microwave for 1 min at high. Stir it again (it will be very soupy), then store wherever you want - fridge, cupboard, bedside table...it will never separate again!
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    We use a electric hand mixer, but we only use one beater in the machine.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    THIS

pbutter3.gif

http://witmerproducts.com/pbutter.html

Or a butter knife and some patience. ;P
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options

Yup, but when you put the jar back upright, the oil moves back to the top. This was my husband's "solution".

I dump the peanut butter into a bowl, whip the oil back into it, put it back into the jar, and keep the jar in the refrigerator. I give the bowl to the dog to lick out. It's one of her favorite things.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    we buy the big jars of Adams at costco and my husband just puts a wooden spoon on the end of his drill and mixes it that way..starts out slowly and then goes full speed lol the kids love it. ill have to try storing it upside down for a couple days first though, that sounds genius

You gotta love men with tools!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options

The stuff you don't have to stir contains either hydrogenated oils (not good for you) or palm oil (saturated fat).
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I get Skippy natural with honey, not much separation in it.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is what I do.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The first time I got natural peanut butter, I saw the layer of oil and thought "EW!" and dumped it out. Later, I found out I was a moron.
  • lainie1949
    lainie1949 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I dump it into my mixer, mix well and dump it back in the jar and refrigerate.