Wheat free diet do I need more protein in this?

Options
I'm starting a wheat free diet from tomorrow. I'm cutting out bread , pasta , pizza etc. along with all junk food and processed food. Before my diet had way too much carbs. My goal is to lose weight .

I thought of a basic plans like this but I don't know if I have enough protein most of it seems to be more fat not sure if this is good or bad. And do you have any ideas of what food I could add in for protein?? Along with exercise and eating the right amount of calories.

Breakfast choice: Greek yoghurt with fruit like blue berries or strawberries or a plain omelette or porridge with fruit or scrambled eggs . Then a glass of milk.

Snack choice: unsalted nuts , apple or any fruit, rice cake, yoghurt

Lunch choice : Cheddar/cottage cheese , tomato , lettuce , Or ham , lettuce tomato , rice cake with peanut butter , rivita crackers , prawn salad, tuna salad .

Snack choice: Rivita , any fruit , rice cake, yoghurt

Dinner choice: Some form of meat/fish with salad , sweet potato/regular potato with meat/fish
Vegetables choice:carrots ,cucumber ,lettuce,tomato,broccoli, asparagus

Snack:yoghurt/rivita or rice cake or fruit

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eating too much makes you fat, not wheat or carbs or any other food. Cutting carbs won't magically make you lose weight and rice cake is still a pile of airy carbs.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Wheat does affect some of us weirdly, though, whether science can prove it or not. I've been off all wheat for awhile but had a mini bagel this morning, and I've had a very hard time keeping myself out of the kitchen today. The same thing happened the last time I tested wheat.

Rice cakes, rice, and oatmeal don't have the same effect at all. Corn does, however.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes are processed high GI rubbish and white potatoes are not much better, don't waste your calories. Ryvita and oatcakes are great, you might consider some beans or lentils with your salad or dinner for variety. If you reduce starchy carbs you must substantially increase the amount of nuts and seeds you eat for the minerals and fibre. Don't underestimate how much you need, yes it will end up higher fat and you may need to select your nuts and seeds carefully to get a balance of all the minerals.

Be sure you are getting your three full servings of dairy every day, cottage cheese is a poor source of calcium so stick with milk, hard cheese and plain yoghurt. Don't eat the same fruit or veggie twice in one day, it counts once only towards your nine servings a day however much you eat. Protein intake looks fine, little and often, if you increase dairy and nuts seeds you will automatically be eating a little more. Great to see fish in there and plenty of veggies!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Cutting foods out of your diet for a reason other than taste or medical is not a great thing to do. You don't need to deprive yourself which can lead to a binge later on. If you do this diet what are you going to do when you get to your goal weight and want to eat breads, rice, pizza, etc again? You will just gain the weight right back as you haven't learned proper portions of those things and how to properly include them in your diet.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Protein source: Tuna or shrimp salad with eggs and nuts or seeds or olive oil. I am on the same boat and doing well. I normally eat oatmeal with blueberries and an omilette for breakfast. I often have leftovers for lunch and fish, meats or soups for dinner. For snacks and side dishes I love nuts and seeds, esp, almonds and pecans but also other nuts. I eat yogurt and fruit also for snacks and starting to make salads with some protein and fat in them more often during the day as opposed to a sandwich or something like that.

GL!
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a wheat free diet from tomorrow. I'm cutting out bread , pasta , pizza etc. along with all junk food and processed food. Before my diet had way too much carbs. My goal is to lose weight .

I thought of a basic plans like this but I don't know if I have enough protein most of it seems to be more fat not sure if this is good or bad. And do you have any ideas of what food I could add in for protein?? Along with exercise and eating the right amount of calories.

Breakfast choice: Greek yoghurt with fruit like blue berries or strawberries or a plain omelette or porridge with fruit or scrambled eggs . Then a glass of milk.

Snack choice: unsalted nuts , apple or any fruit, rice cake, yoghurt

Lunch choice : Cheddar/cottage cheese , tomato , lettuce , Or ham , lettuce tomato , rice cake with peanut butter , rivita crackers , prawn salad, tuna salad .

Snack choice: Rivita , any fruit , rice cake, yoghurt

Dinner choice: Some form of meat/fish with salad , sweet potato/regular potato with meat/fish
    Vegetables choice:carrots ,cucumber ,lettuce,tomato,broccoli, asparagus

Snack:yoghurt/rivita or rice cake or fruit

Doing a wheat free diet can be good but just know you will have withdrawals. I've done and it can be awful. Headaches, tiredness, dizziness, bowel issues.

Try to add more healthy fats during like avocados, olive oil, organic cottage cheese, hazelnuts.
    Also, add brown rice, black beans and sweet potatoes.

Cutting out wheat may help jump start your weight loss but after a week to two weeks and you feel any bad side effects, I would add at least one piece of whole grain bread to your diet every day or every other.

Brittany
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Cutting foods out of your diet for a reason other than taste or medical is not a great thing to do. You don't need to deprive yourself which can lead to a binge later on. If you do this diet what are you going to do when you get to your goal weight and want to eat breads, rice, pizza, etc again? You will just gain the weight right back as you haven't learned proper portions of those things and how to properly include them in your diet.

Do you say the same to vegetarians or those choosing 'clean' eating? Wheat is only one food, the OP has rye, oats and rice in her sample day so still intends to eat grains. There is nothing essential about bread and pizza, many people don't feel deprived not eating them that is you applying your values and your tastes to others lives. You don't need to eat a food regularly to learn portion control, you look it up online then weigh or measure the food and get it right first time. If we applied your logic to all foods we'd all have to consume a little soda, some candy, a little cake, some cookies, some processed meat, drink a little alcohol. Nobody would ever get healthy or lose weight!
  • MarsChallenge
    MarsChallenge Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    sprouted whole grain bread is a good choice. Ezekiel is a good name.. I saw Rudy's (I think that was it) in costco freezer today, but didn't get it.. but might next time. I keep the bread in the fridge.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I feel like someone is trying to get me to do their homework for them.

You have a food diary at your disposal here. Use it. Put those foods in the diary and and see how the numbers work out.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Cutting out the wheat family (rye and barley aren't much better) is only really useful if you have celiac disease, or an intolerance of some kind. I ate gluten free for years and managed to gain over 100 lbs eating substitutes (I have celiac disease, so I must eat gluten free). I've lost 45 lbs by simply watching my calories and exercising more. There's no magic food pill to weight loss, its less calories in than going out.

Best recommendation: log your food here on MFP and buy a decent food scale, and mind the portion sizes with the scale. That works better than anything I've ever tried.
  • rm7161
    Options
    Doing a wheat free diet can be good but just know you will have withdrawals. I've done and it can be awful. Headaches, tiredness, dizziness, bowel issues.

LOLno. Eating wheat can cause bowel issues for a particular segment of the population with celiac disease or gluten intolerance, and removing those foods will relieve them. Those who don't have celiac disease or intolerances, well nothing will happen at all going gluten free provided they are sure to get the vitamins that would have normally been consumed through enriched wheat flour. Except maybe they won't like the substitutes quite as much as the real thing, but them's the breaks.

Personally, I don't recommend a gluten free diet unless you need one.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a wheat free diet and have read Wheat Belly and have his cookbook. Please feel free to check my food diary (it' s not perfect yet). Started thus under advice of my doctor. I am allergic to wheat. However, I do agree with Firefox. There is no reason for us to eat grains. Many of them are genetically modified. Check out wheatbellyblog.com for more info, success stories. If you can' t live without them then yes there are other alternatives. I am also trying to stay away from processed junk, high fructose corn syrup, potato starch. You would be amazed at the stuff that has wheat in it! I am feeling so much better from doing this! Next omit will possibly be coffee...unsure on that.
  • april_mesk
    Options
    gluten and wheat are not the same thing.
  • rm7161
    Options
    gluten and wheat are not the same thing.

Gluten is the protein fraction of the grain, specifically the protein fraction in wheat, rye and barley when talking of a gluten free diet. Some grains have glutens like corn and rice, but they aren't the culprit you're speaking of, and not the problem in celiac disease.

A wheat free diet is not a gluten free diet, that's true. Because that person is still eating gluten from related grasses to wheat through other sources usually. But a gluten free diet is ALWAYS a wheat free diet :P

What would I know, been diagnosed celiac since 2002, before it was hipster to be off wheat.
  • april_mesk
    Options
    True. Gliadin is the problem for me anyway. Most processed foods affect me badly as well. I won' t end up in ER, but it has changed my quality of life. I won' t push it on people but, carbs are what made me become a food addict and have kept making me hungrier. Since dropping it and lowering carbs, I don' t obsess about food anymore and feel more relaxed. It works for me and I am so happy my doctor mentioned it.
  • april_mesk
    Options
    Having a hard time giving up my Chobani- I know it's too much sugar and I will be weaning it off. I know I can do plain with fruit but it' s just ehhh. cinnamon, nuts, what else could I use for flavor.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Do you say the same to vegetarians or those choosing 'clean' eating? Wheat is only one food, the OP has rye, oats and rice in her sample day so still intends to eat grains. There is nothing essential about bread and pizza, many people don't feel deprived not eating them that is you applying your values and your tastes to others lives. You don't need to eat a food regularly to learn portion control, you look it up online then weigh or measure the food and get it right first time. If we applied your logic to all foods we'd all have to consume a little soda, some candy, a little cake, some cookies, some processed meat, drink a little alcohol. Nobody would ever get healthy or lose weight!

I'm not sure how you got "If we applied your logic to all foods we'd all have to consume a little soda, some candy, a little cake, some cookies, some processed meat, drink a little alcohol. " from what I had said. Maybe an improperly worded response as the point of the post was to say that cutting out foods is not required for weight loss and it is best to learn how to eat all types of foods instead of following a specific diet unless it's for taste or medical reasons (or ethics in response to your vegetarian comment). The point of the post was all foods can be part of a healthy, balanced diet.... never once was I applying my values and tastes to others.
  • anainwonderland
    anainwonderland Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have an auto-immune condition similar to Celiac Disease so I have to be gluten free in order to stay healthy. I'm really worried that gluten free diets are becoming a fad. Its not healthy unless you have a medical condition or a sensitivity that prevents you from living a normal life. I would LOVE to live a normal life and eat the things my friends and family do.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Try to add more healthy fats during like avocados, olive oil, organic cottage cheese, hazelnuts.
    Also, add brown rice, black beans and sweet potatoes.

Cutting out wheat may help jump start your weight loss but after a week to two weeks and you feel any bad side effects, I would add at least one piece of whole grain bread to your diet every day or every other.

Brittany

One of my reasons for trying this gluten free diet is because of the tiredness and headaches and it's a test to see how my energy levels compare and I've already been tested for other medical conditions.
    I only just realised ryvita wasn't gluten free got confused with the name .
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah initially I was intending only to go wheat free but then I decided to try gluten free.
    It's not just because I want to lose weight more because gluten could be making be tired and giving me headaches it usually occurs after lunch which would normally be some sort of bread or in the morning after cereal.

I want to manage my protein intake and eat more vegetables and fruit I don't seem to eat enough I find it easier to manage it so far by cutting the gluten.

Also I seem to find it hard to eat more than 1000cals even though I eat 5/6 meals a day. Maybe it's because occasionally my lunch will be small .