Visalus

Options
I don't know if the question of Visalus has come up before but I have a couple of people trying to get me to try it but currently I am doing good losing about 2 lbs a week. Does anyone have any positive or negative things about it?

Replies

• 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I tried it and gained weight on my last weight loss venture ....tasted great, but I prefer to eat rather than drink a meall. So, if you are doing well right now don't waste your money!:smile:
  • 0408boys
    0408boys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For me personally it has not worked, and it is very expensive. I also travel a lot for work and it is not practical to have a blender with me. In Canada for what they consider their transformation kit the cost is $299.00 a month. :smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Negative..............

Learn to eat real foods

I tried it and it constipated me but the worst thing was my auto ship was not cancelled and they kept sending me the bags of shakes for months. I finally called and raised enough heck that they stopped but I know people that are waiting on their refund check where they sent the bags back. I gave mine away.

It also does not have much protein compared to other protein shakes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,580 Member
    Options
    If you're doing fine, then why change it? Why spend money that you don't need to?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of friends try to push it on me, but after doing some of my own research, I have to concur with everyone else saying save your money!

If you ask me, it seems like a pyramid scheme from the one stand point, and the other - it seems like there's more money put into the marketing rather than the product itself.
  • wendydeal
    wendydeal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It has worked for several people I know. I tried it, liked it at first then QUICKLY became bored with it. I would much rather eat food. You have to eat food for the rest of your life, by learning to eat right you are more likely to keep the weight off in the long run. My opinion.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I personally know a couple people that lost weight on it. BUT i think it has more to do with them gettin their *kitten* in the gym than the shake. There are tons of inexpensive protein/meal replacement shakes out there. Save your money cause 299.00 is just ridiculous!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I know people who use it and have lost a decent chunk of weight on it. It is not the shake alone that causes you to lose weight... it is the calorie control swapping out two meals with the shakes does.

I tried them.. didn't like them. I have a few friends who still push it on me however that's because they want to make money, not because it is actually a magical weight loss tool.

I agree with the person who said it was just too expensive... over $100 for the cheapest package... far too much!

If you are doing good on your own so far why try to change anything? What you are doing is working
  • meetstevebaker
    Options
    :happy: Of course there are going to varying results depending on the person, circumstances, and dedication. My personal experience is that I lost 30 pounds during my first 90 day challenge without doing ANY exercise whatsoever - just drinking two shakes a day and eating one sensible meal, and eating one or two nutri-cookies as in-between snacks when i needed it. I started off on the $99 Shape Kit (2 shakes a day) the first month and then upgraded to the Core Kit because I wanted the Vi-Pak vitamins and the Neuro energy boosters. The program made me feel great! I have more energy all the time than I used to have and I find the shakes delicious and very satisfying.

I never had any issues, even though I have heard that a small percentage of people experience some constipation or diarrhea until their bodies adjust. From what I have heard that usually only lasts a few days to a week.

As far as the cost, it is not an additional expense. The shakes are less than $2 per meal which is way less than most people spend. I found that I SAVED about $10 per day on food. That's $300 a month savings! And they have Challenge Kits ranging from $49/mo up to $299/mo depending on your goals. So I don't get it when people say it is expensive.

Another thing... someone said the shakes don't have much protein compared to other alternatives. On the surface that is true, but I did my homework and it turns out that the Visalus shakes use a blend of proteins combined with enzymes that are more highly absorbed by our bodies than the others on the market. So when you consider how much protein actually enters our bloodstream, the Visalus shakes are equal to and in many cases more than the others that show twice as many MG of protein on the label.

I am now on my second 90-day challenge because I want to lose another 50 pounds. And I am still enjoying the shakes - I have not become tired of them. I have tried about 20 different recipes to add variety to the shakes, but my favorite is to add half a banana and 3 strawberries with unsweetened almond milk and two scoops of the shake mix and blend it up. YUM!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Another thing... someone said the shakes don't have much protein compared to other alternatives. On the surface that is true, but I did my homework and it turns out that the Visalus shakes use a blend of proteins combined with enzymes that are more highly absorbed by our bodies than the others on the market. So when you consider how much protein actually enters our bloodstream, the Visalus shakes are equal to and in many cases more than the others that show twice as many MG of protein on the label...
    I'm still waiting for one of you Visalus sales people to explain what this mysterious protein blend is and why no other protein shake/powder on the market uses it. Whey protein has the highest bioavailability of any protein source. I've never seen any scientific research pointing to specific exogenous enzymes which make protein "more highly absorbed". All I've ever seen is wild claims about the "tri-sorb" blend, but no explanation of what this magic unicorn dust is or how/why it's superior to other protein sources. Since you've done your homework, maybe you could clarify this for anybody who's interested? Links to peer-reviewed studies would be extremely helpful.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    ...Another thing... someone said the shakes don't have much protein compared to other alternatives. On the surface that is true, but I did my homework and it turns out that the Visalus shakes use a blend of proteins combined with enzymes that are more highly absorbed by our bodies than the others on the market. So when you consider how much protein actually enters our bloodstream, the Visalus shakes are equal to and in many cases more than the others that show twice as many MG of protein on the label...
    I'm still waiting for one of you Visalus sales people to explain what this mysterious protein blend is and why no other protein shake/powder on the market uses it. Whey protein has the highest bioavailability of any protein source. I've never seen any scientific research pointing to specific exogenous enzymes which make protein "more highly absorbed". All I've ever seen is wild claims about the "tri-sorb" blend, but no explanation of what this magic unicorn dust is or how/why it's superior to other protein sources. Since you've done your homework, maybe you could clarify this for anybody who's interested? Links to peer-reviewed studies would be extremely helpful.
    snort :laugh:
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

^^ THIS!!

Has anyone else actually been on the Visalus website? There's talk about the product, and examples, but no actual evidence of how it works. (Yes, people losing weight with it falls in my category of examples -- they used that probably in combination with another thing such as exercise). They more push becoming a "promoter" for it, and/or how you can win prizes for losing weight... I don't know, that just rings wrong with me.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I tried it for around a month. Worked great at first, then I became intolerant of it....or rather my stomach did....it was quick, simple and tasted good in the beginning though. I will say, that it doesn't teach you anything about sustaining though. I mean, the program has a plan for maintenance, but most people wouldn't want to buy that forever.....kind of cheaper and easier just to learn to eat right, in my opinion.
  • lorriratzlaff
    lorriratzlaff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been on the ViSalus product for almost 2 years now. I have lost 40 lbs on it and kept it off. I love the shakes and the other items I make using the ViSalus shake mix and never get bored with it. It's filling and delicious and extremely cost effective at less than $2 per shake. It works for me very well, but I don't really push it on anyone. If people want to use it they come to me and I help them lose weight and achieve their goals.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    it will definitely cause you to lose weight............in your wallet. Overpriced and undervalued.
  • tleeiiiii
    tleeiiiii Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I did it for a month but did not really lose weight, i was already eating really well before. It did give me a lot of energy though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,580 Member
    Options
    $2 a shake is still double what you can get from a good protein powder. And while a Visalus supporter will tell you "it's not just a protein powder", substituting a liquid meal for a solid meal isn't the same. There's a reason why only 10% of actual diet programs succeed and that's because people buy into the BS thinking that THEY WON'T BE THE ONES who fail once they reach goal.
    Think about it, a shake is about 110 calories. People get full because of the "fillers" in them. Natural or not, they are still "fillers".
    So when it comes time to actually eat real food for that meal that they supplemented with a shake, what can you eat that's approximately 110 calories? Here's a few options:

1 cup of broccoli with 3tbsp of dip
    1 medium apple with peel
    2 oz of lean eye of round beef
    13 whole almonds

That's not a lot of food at all. 1 apple as a MEAL? It's not rocket science on why people will usually gain weight back once they stop the shakes.
    Now if one is willing to do it for the REST OF THEIR LIVES, then fine, and Visalus distributors and upper management will thank you for supplementing their income.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the question of Visalus has come up before

11,700 hits on google from this website alone.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this shake, but i've tried a few others. after a while it dawned on me that i was spending a lot of money on an idea. and i never lost any weight at all. now i have control of my diet, i'd much rather control cals by eating well. if i want a high calorie drink, i'll save it for a cocktail :-)
  • Demi54
    Demi54 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am on it. It is only 100$ a month and i have lost 15 lbs in a month. My friend that got me into it has lost 30 lbs in two months. Neither of us go to the gym, just two shakes a day and you can even use the powder in oatmeal instead of making a shake. I suppose it depends on the people. I hate cooking so this is real easy since i dont care about eating "real food".